Missed period

Options
I joined MFP on October 3. Since then I try to go for a walk or mini run for 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. I eat around 1600 calories daily and my diet hasn't changed much. However on the 17th, I got what I thought was my period. I started spotting and assumed my period was going to come. I noticed some mucus like secretions and just shrugged it off because the first day is always light. Well that was the only sign of my period (besides bloat and the heaviness in my stomach). Although I am sexually active I have been taking bcp and my periods are never light. I'm not anorexic (185 lbs) and I don't work out excessively.

My period should have ended on the 5th day; so it should have ended on Tuesday. And today I'm getting ovulation like cramps. Any idea what is going on? BTW.. I have never missed a period and I have changed my diet and exercise in the past.

Replies

• JamiesMummyX
    JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a pregnancy test?
  • Eaving1
    Eaving1 Posts: 40
    Options
    That happens some times, try not to freak out too much. If you're really worried, see a doctor :)
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The bcp isn't 100%.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If it's really bothering you, go see your doctor.

I haven't had any mystery missing periods; those I have skipped had reasons - pregnancy and pre-menopause. I have late and "I'm going to hang around for 3 weeks" periods.
  • quiltchickie
    quiltchickie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would get a pregnancy test just in case. I felt the same way with both my kiddos. Even if you were using contraception, nothing is 100%.
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Did you just start on the pills? Because I know that a lot of women have that issue when they first start out on them. Some even advertise it as an added benefit
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    That sounds awfully like pregnancy - time to pee on a stick!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Take a pregnancy test :). It will at least give you some peace of mind. I wasn't on the pill when I got pregnant with my son, but I did spot for a day right around when my period was due, and was quite crampy especially early on when things were stretching and such.
  • aquariuanjourney
    aquariuanjourney Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I haven't taken a test yet. I probably will over the weekend. I don't think I'm pregnant but I do at least want to rule that out. I have been on the pill for the past 4 months. The second month I didn't take them because I wasn't home for the summer and forgot them. The past two months I have been taking them and they haven't affected my period any.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Yes could be pregnant since you are eating well and you say not over exercising.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    See your Doctor
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I would take that test. However, a lot of women find their monthly cycle can be affected when they begin a new diet and exercise regimen. It usually regulates after a couple of months, but if you're concerned see your doctor.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I did not have any bleeding at all, just totally missed the period. But had all those other things. (Only a couple weeks ago)
    Have you gotten any other pregnancy symptoms? Sore breasts is commonly the first symptom.

Eta: I don't know anything about bcp, but know that some birth controls can cause irregular periods.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The BCP I was on, I regularly missed my period. And that light spotting you got the first day, I had the same problem! My dr. explained it to me that when on the pill its not a real "period" so just a fleck of pink on the tissue could be considered a "period" take a test to ease your mind, but I was on the pill for 2 years before I started missing periods constantly and spotting when I wasn't supposed to be on it, sooo....It is possible, and in my case was true, that you could also NOT be pregnant. just FYI, i was taking Loestrin, and turned out the dose was too low, whenthey increased my dose, I have had more regularity than I could hope for!
  • sielaras
    Options
    I have had a few times when I have feared that I was pregnant (for no rational reason, really, just because I am a worrier). Taking that test is scary, but it will put your mind at ease instantly. In fact one time, my period arrived within 24 hours of taking the test - I think I was so stressed about being pregnant that it actually stopped me getting my period!

And in the highly unlikely event that you are pregnant, the sooner you know the better.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started exercising regularly and eating healthy, I was late...but almost a week. It scared the **** out of me, took a home prego test. I think the following day I got my period.

You should take a HPT asap...don't wait.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    bcp are not 100. Apparently Whoopi Goldberg was on bcp's when she had her child.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    they're about 98% when taken right but the effectiveness decreases since ppl take them at different times each day and such. if taken right they should be a very low risk of pregnancy. But if you're only 2 months into taking them consistently then it could be your body getting used to the pill. I would suggest going ahead with the test and if that comes back negative then wait a month and keep taking your pills as normal. Might have spotting before the week you're supposed to get your period which is normal. Then if you don't get it again next month it's time to see the doctor.
  • aquariuanjourney
    Options
    I've been taking these same bcp on and off for 10 years. I always miss a few of the active pills but has never gotten pregnant.

Thankfully, I don't have any symptoms to believe that I am pregnant. The only symptoms I have from taking the pills has been nausea and headaches. I will test today and keep you guys posted.
  • aquariuanjourney
    Options
    I went to the dollar store and took a test and it was negative.