Adding healthy good calories

Options
I find it hard to increase my calorie intake without adding to the sodium intake.please suggest some ways i can add more calories and get more energy.

Replies

• hecky86
    Options
    I would suggest 20 raw almonds in your diet.... Raw almonds are not only very good for you,If you snack on about 20 throught the day You will find yourself to be craving less and have tons more energy. It def works for me,Hope this helps. :-)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree with the almonds. I'm also a fan of string cheese and hard boiled eggs.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is protein. Almond, eggs, cheese, etc all are low to no carb items, higher in calories, but low to no sodium. Protein is key for energy. If you want to try something fun, on a normal day for you, eat cereal or something carby for breakfast. See how you feel later. Are you tired a little, hungy before lunch, etc? Then on a similar type of day, have eggs. You can skip the meat since you are trying to avoid sodium. Although, I love low-sodium bacon, 3 slices. Now compare how you feel. You should notice it takes longer for you to get hungry and you are more awake.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The way to avoid sodium is to avoid processed foods. There is a ton of sodium in processed foods. Raw foods tend to have a lot less sodium and anything you cook yourself is something you can control the sodium content.

Btw, cheese sticks have 180 mg of sodium per stick! (I can taste the salt in most cheese.)
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thankyou fellow fitness pals.
    i already take almonds and love them.
    i generally have cereal with almonds for breakfast.tomorrow i am going to try the eggs.love the responses.it is good to know we have a great support grp here.