Green Tea Article

Options
Green tea has numerous benefits. It can be consumed either as the well-marketed green tea extract (EGCG) found in stores, or simply brewed in a cup to be enjoyed. What benefit does it have? Well for one, studies show that green tea extract reduced weight gain and improved insulin resistance when subjects were fed a high fat diet (1). The extract demonstrated increased amounts of the enzyme responsible for fat metabolism in muscle, and also decreased amounts of adipose storing genes in the liver (2). Similar findings in yet another study showed an increase in lean body mass when subjects were fed a high fat diet, with the mechanism linked to a suppression of fat cell differentiation and uptake of fat into adipose tissue (3). It also significant to mention that green tea improved glucose tolerance in these studies, suggesting a protective role against diabetes. Additionally, green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants; a proposed mechanism against free radical cellular damage. Overall, store bought tea or EGCG is a highly recommended safe substance to add to your weight loss plan.

References

1.Jang HJ, Ridgeway SD, Kim JA. Effects of the Green Tea Polyphenol, Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG), on High Fat Diet-Induced Insulin Resistance and Endothelial Dysfunction. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Oct 22.

2. Hodgson AB, Randell RK, Jeukendrup AE. The effect of green tea extract on fat oxidation at rest and during exercise: evidence of efficacy and proposed mechanisms. Adv Nutr. 2013 Mar 1;4(2):129-40. doi: 10.3945/an.112.003269.

3. Chen N, Bezzina R, Hinch E, Lewandowski PA, Cameron-Smith D, Mathai ML, Jois M, Sinclair AJ, Begg DP, Wark JD, Weisinger HS, Weisinger RS. Green tea, black tea, and epigallocatechin modify body composition, improve glucose tolerance, and differentially alter metabolic gene expression in rats fed a high-fat diet. Nutr Res. 2009 Nov;29(11):784-93. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2009.10.003.

I think 4-6 cups per day would represent adequate intake. Some of the studies referred to the benefits being over chronic ingestion. What do you all think?

Replies

• Spooney45
    Options
    Fair enough, but normal black tea has very similar benefits as both green tea and black tea come from the same plant, they're just different parts of it.
  • mikebonns
    Options
    Agreed for the most part. I believe theres a huge surge in EGCG research for additional protective effects on vascular tissue and things like that.
  • Leoln7
    Leoln7 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'd honestly be more open to drinking it if I didn't feel like a child taking his medicine when I did, I just can't get round that taste. Any green tea drinkers that have any suggestions for something you can add to it to knock that taste off that would not bump up its calories?
  • mikebonns
    Options
    Yes, some people just cant stand the taste. Id suggest either taking the pill extract, which is also pretty cheap, or maybe you can add a drop of honey, not too much. Personally, I love the tea and ill make a couple cups per day, the caffeine in it is an extra bonus.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly be more open to drinking it if I didn't feel like a child taking his medicine when I did, I just can't get round that taste. Any green tea drinkers that have any suggestions for something you can add to it to knock that taste off that would not bump up its calories?

It could be the brand. I tried Kroger brand, once, and it was awful. I use the Bigelow, with no added flavouring (e.g., no lemon). I do use one truvia or nectresse in my cup of tea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Green tea needs to be steeped for no more than 3 minutes in water that is not boiling. That said you also need to consume large quantities of it to get any of the supposed benefits so unless you love the stuff I wouldn't worry about it. Always baffles me why new people pop onto the forums with some earth shattering revelation they have to share.