Daily caloric intake and what does it look like? HELP

Options
I'm at a 1500 Plan. But I cant do it! I always go over because I get hungry :(
I'm also a college student which makes things harder. Any suggestions?
Where can I cut down on calories?
What kinds of food will help me feel fuller longer?

Bfast
1/2 cup oatmeal with milk.
Coffee with milk and sugar.

Snack
Nature Valley Bar

Lunch
Turkey Sandwich or HotDog <-- Bought at school.
Apple

Dinner
Chicken
Pinto Beans
Baked Potato

Snack
Piece of Mexican Bread with Milk

Add me! I need people to yell at me if I eat something bad =p

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? And if using the mfp method are you eating some of those calories back? If using the TDEE method check you've start your activity level correctly
  • buttshrink
    buttshrink Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Add more veggies. Bring carrot sticks for lunch or as your snack. Add a salad or broccoli to dinner. They go a long way in filling you up without many calories...
  • Leoln7
    Leoln7 Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah veggies are a safe bet, some more than others, I can have a serving of both frozen peas and carrots and the calories in both of them equate to about half that of a serving of sweetcorn. It's all about finding alternatives you like and applying them to your meals

I also know the feeling when you have to eat at college, I normally tackle this by making up a small tupperware of food the night prior to it. Normally half a pack of microwave brown rice, servings of peas and sweetcorn with 3 slices of chopped ham. Stops the temptation of buying food when I'm in the canteen with friends and keeps me going for the gym and through to dinner!

Feel free to add me!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    eat the way you are and excercise much more.

/end thread.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, and fats help you feel full longer, so anything you can change up to increase those might help. I'd replace the granola bar with a protein bar. The Quest brand bars are fantastic for protein and fiber without a ton of sugar. Instead of a baked potato at dinner, consider using other veggies. Replace the potato calories with cauliflower or broccoli for example, and you'll get a much bigger plate of food.

Exercising and eating back your calories from that is also a good idea.

If you are hungry every day and having trouble sticking to that goal, it could be it's set too low for you. You could try increasing your goal a bit to see if you can still lose weight eating a little more.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You are starting your day with carbs and no protein and then having a carb snack before lunch. Carbs are great for quick energy, eat some protein with them.

I agree about the vegetables too.

Mix peanut butter in your oatmeal, or have a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter and a small fruit for breakfast. For your snack, have some almonds or trail mix or a granola bar with nuts in it, I've even seen some with protein listed on the label.

For lunch, have a salad instead of a sandwich. You can put anything on a salad that you put in a sandwich. I'm sure there's a salad bar, put your turkey on a salad instead of a sandwich, add some cottage cheese and lots of vegetables.

For dinner, add some mixed vegetables or a salad. I very often eat what I make my family for dinner on a salad. The other day I made chicken, pasta, and a side salad. I put the chicken and not even a quarter cup of pasta on my salad, that way I got to eat the pasta without eating tons of it. 2 cups of salad adds 15 calories to your day and really stretches your food and keeps you fuller longer. With your sample meal, I would cut up the chicken, mix it up with the beans, and pour it over a salad. I would probably mix light ranch and salsa together add a little cheese, and eat that.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1600 calories and sometimes I have trouble getting them in and feel like I am eating more than I did when I gained all the weight that I am trying to lose.

Its simple choices that make the difference increase your intake of pulses, grains and fruit & veg. I have also cut out most of the bread I used to eat, not because I hate carbs but because I find other things are more filling.

Some early advice I was given on this forum was to eat more proteins, good fats & fibre as they help you feel fuller for longer.

Feel free to add me as we have similar calorie goals
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd be hungry eating that too. You're eating a lot of carbs and not enough protein. Protein will make you full longer. Ditch the nature valley bar for a protein bar, for lunch have a salad instead if you can (just low calorie dressing) with some protein, it will make you full longer. For dinner ditch the potatoes most days and eat veggies instead.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah oatmeal fro breakfast, cereal bar for snack, bread at lunchtime, bread for snack, baked potato and beans for dinner - that's an awful lot of carbs,

Swap out some of those for a more protein choice. eg eggs for breakfast, carrots and humous for snack, soup for lunch.