P90X Calorie Intake

Options
I am on week 7 of P90x. I haven't missed any workouts or cheated on my diet. My body appears to be leaner and more toned, but I am not losing weight or getting the results I want. I have only lost 3 pounds. I still have 6 pounds to go. I am 23 years old, 5'2", and 116 pounds. I have been consuming 1,200 calories a day. After work, I feel hungry and tired. I think I need to up my calorie intake. I am considering increasing my calorie intake to 1,500 and drinking two whey protein shakes every day. I am afraid I am going to gain fat instead of muscle. I am working too hard to not see results. Any ideas?

Replies

• ReneeElizabeth26
    Options
    I am on week 6 of p90x and I normally eat around 1500 cal a day which is still technically low for how hard the work out is. 1200 is DEF way to low and thats why you are not feeling good. From what people tell me p90x is not as much of a weight loss program as it is a strenghtening and fitness program. I have lost 7 pounds...I havent tracked it yet because my weigh in day is Wed...but its been a slow process. Just stick with it and eat more healthy foods!!! Add me if youd like!! I love having other p90xers as friends..Only we understand our pain!!
  • bllecroy
    bllecroy Posts: 31
    Options
    I thought so. I have always eaten 1,200 or less, so I feel like 1,500 is too much. I know I am burning tons of calories though. I am running low on energy, so I need to up my calories. Thanks for the advice.

That is so true! It is crazy hard, but def worth it. :)
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I ate 1,600 calories while doing P90X on a 50/30/20 ratio :)
  • tenilroo
    tenilroo Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, just wondering how your P90x results are. I'm 5'1"and currently at 132 lbs. I'm eating roughly 1,200 calories a day and like you, I feel lightheaded and weak at times. It's happening less often though. I've just finished Day 20 of P90x Classic and I bike for an hour most days on top of that. I skipped all X-Stretch sessions and opted to just chill. Any advice from anyone? Thanks!
  • barnettsa
    barnettsa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

My beachbody coach shared this website with me to judge how many calories we should be shooting for. Working your butt off and not fueling your body and eating too few calories made it hard for me to get a good workout in I was just feeling too week. I added 200 calories from healthy food, like fruits and veggies and boom I felt great. Energy galore the difference between 1200 and 1400 is amazing. I started P90x at 160 lbs I am on day 51 and have lost 9 lbs, but inches have been lost like crazy! I am amazed with the results and 2 weeks the scale wasn't showing me any love, but my tape measurements were getting smaller. Keep working towards your goals.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    P90X is a high intensity workout, which means you will need more calories than you would normally. This is the formula to use for p90x:

Step 1. Calculate your resting metabolic rate (RMR) – Your body weight x 10 = RMR

Step 2. Calculate daily activity burn – RMR x 20% = Daily Activity Burn

Step 3. Add calories required for exercise – +600 for P90X

Step 4. Add all of these numbers up to equal your daily energy amount needed

If you notice that it seems super high, like someone got over 5000 calories, replace your body weight with your desired body weight.
  • PediDocChicago
    PediDocChicago Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Using the formula the provide it says I should be eating 2200 plus calories a day. That just sounds like way too much to lose any weight.
    Have others had good success using their formula?
    I am 5'4 " and 163lbs... goal is 140.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

There's the path to weight gain perdition. P90X doesn't burn anywhere near that many calories! If you eat that back, you are going to eat into your deficit.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    P90X is a high intensity workout, which means you will need more calories than you would normally. This is the formula to use for p90x:

Step 1. Calculate your resting metabolic rate (RMR) – Your body weight x 10 = RMR

Step 2. Calculate daily activity burn – RMR x 20% = Daily Activity Burn

Step 4. Add all of these numbers up to equal your daily energy amount needed

If you notice that it seems super high, like someone got over 5000 calories, replace your body weight with your desired body weight.
    Yeah, that's a really quick and dirty calculation. It's assuming that everyone in the world has the same activity level (+20%). :huh: Use this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    And many people would not burn 600 calories doing P90x, so don't get too greedy eating them back.:wink:
  • Sophie022
    Sophie022 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm due to start P90X in a week or so and have been trying to get my head around the nurtrition guide and I am confused....

I am 136 lbs so my calorie intake has worked out as 2232 which seems incredibly high. I have a desk job so decided to take off the DAB of 272 which leaves me with 1960.

Soooo... I fall into nutrition level 1 but I cannot see how I can hit 1800 calories with the restrictions on portions:

5 x 100 cal of protein = 500
    1 x Fat = 120
    1 x Carbs = 200
    2 x Dairy = 240
    1 x Fruit = 100
    2 x Veggies = 100
    1 x Condiments = 50
    1 x snack = 100 would only be half a protein bar
    1 x shake = 122 ( for my protein shake, could have 2?) = 244
    1 x drink = I'm not sure what this could be....

Thia only gets me 1454 for the day so I would be 350 cals under, so I dont see how I would up it without not sticking to the blocks plan?

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Soph