Cheat Days

Options
Does anyone have cheat days?do you go wild?

my Cheat day would probably be a Saturday when i can go out for dinner and maybe have a few drinks afterwards?anyone else the same?

Replies

• Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Prime rib and wine nights! Easily puts me over! But damn, it's good!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    It is a totally personal choice. You have to do what works for you and be able to sustain when you reach your goal.
    For me, I choose not to go over my calorie amounts, but if I did, I would not call it cheating, I would call it living. My problem was "too much cheating
    and I was only cheating myself". I am, hopefully, through with that.
  • JulieAnnie1204
    JulieAnnie1204 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been told that you should go over at least once a week, just so your body doesn't get used to the lower calorie intake and adjust accordingly. I do go over 100 - 200 calories a couple of times a week, not crazy, but sometimes I just can't get enough food into me. I also walk my dog - a lot - which gives me more calories. Some days it's still a struggle, but most people need an "off" day to be able to stay the course the rest of the week.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The idea of "cheating" is absolutely ridiculous. Everyone can have all the foods they love to eat every day, they just have to figure out how they fit into their goals. Of course there are exceptions (e.g. I dont think you will see cheesecake and ice cream on Ronnie Colemans list of foods before a competition, but instead see Chicken Breast by the lb)

AnyyyWhoooo. The avg person on MFP is not Ronnie Coleman.

That ice cream I had before bad last night was awesome. So were the snickers and twix bars 2 nights before that. Those trick or treaters are going to be p|ssed when they show up and I dont have any candy left. I think I have some change laying around the house somewhere.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i don't have a cheat day.. having a cheat day imply s i'm on a diet.. i'm not on a diet.. i'm just making better choices. So if i want something I have it, if I think it's worth it.

Like tonight.. i'm watching my consumption all day long, because someone is cooking me dinner.. and I heard rumor of black beans and rice and something to do with sauteed mushrooms. So i'm saving my calories for whatever he's cooking me.. and from the sounds of it.. i'm gonna love it!! (and it's cool cause i never cook this stuff for myself!!!)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple in 9 months, twice I was over my goal by 100 because I planned for it, once only I was over by 1100 and it was unplanned - but I strongly advise against cheat days because it would be way too easy to go over by 3000 calories or something!

If you have to have something, have a cheat meal, and try not to go nuts either. I wouldn't do it more than once a month either way, but that's just me. Typically if I want something I try to make room for it in my diet.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I look at this as a way of changing my life. the word diet us no longer what I do (in between getting fatter) but what I eat. because I am not "dieting" it is nonsensical to say I have days when I am not dieting or cheating.. some days I eat more than others but these are not planned they happen when my life leads me that way :) Good luck
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also don't subscribe to the idea of cheat days; if I eat something I don't consider to be terribly healthy, then that's fine - a healthy lifestyle for me is one that leads me to being healthy and happy, not one where I never eat something unhealthy. I just try to keep these less healthy foods from becoming huge parts of my usual diet, but I think calling (or thinking of it as) cheating would just make me feel bad. Cheating has all kinds of negative connotations (and no good ones that I can think of) so wouldn't it just make you feel like you did something you shouldn't have?
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I absolutely have days where I enjoy something that's not part of my regular diet, usually every couple of weeks on Thursday or Friday. I enjoy baking, so I elect to bake whatever tickles my fancy and indulge on those days. The way I see it, you're not going to be getting a gold star for being "pure" or "clean" with your eating 100% of the time, so might as well enjoy life, eat a slice of cake, cookie, etc. and move on.

But, if you're prone to overindulging and have problems returning to your routine (i.e. your cheat meal turns into a cheat day, turns into a cheat week, ad infinitum) it might be a good idea to have a "cheat" less often.
  • hell_storm2004
    Options
    Mine just come up too quickly. I cheat two times a week.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    When my lady is out of town.

BAZINGAAAAAA

But no, really. I have cheat days all the time, and they're effing delicious.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Whew yes the weekends are my worst cheat days
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It is a totally personal choice. You have to do what works for you and be able to sustain when you reach your goal.
    For me, I choose not to go over my calorie amounts, but if I did, I would not call it cheating, I would call it living. My problem was "too much cheating
    and I was only cheating myself". I am, hopefully, through with that.

well said!!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I call it a real life day. If I know I'm going to be going out or having someone else cook dinner then I'll plan for it as best as I can, but I'm not interested in being the wet blanket drinking water at the bar when spontaneous outings happen.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have one! Enjoy - and get right back on plan. That is the key to success with a day off.

I used to have a free day but the most I ever took was a free meal or treat. That was plenty for me.

My priorities have evolved over time and I am now a few/no-processed foods kind of gal 24/7. My treats reflect that & I am happy with my results without feeling deprived.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I look at my numbers over the course of a week, not daily. So it is easy to plan a higher calorie day or two. Or fix an unplanned one. :wink: I don't deprive myself, ever. That wouldn't work for me.