I've lost 15lbs in 1 month with MFP - I'M ON A ROLL BOOM!

Options
Hey MFP friends!!!

I'm Sam, as mentioned I started using MFP after a friend recommended it to me and I have to say that I am so impressed! I have lost a staggering 1stone 1lbs (15bs) in under 1 month of using this APP!

Not only does it help me count calories, to lose weight, but recalculates as I lose! This is brilliant.
At 28 and having been overweight since I was 20 (prior to this I was a size UK 12) I have given my lifestyle a complete overhaul.

I have gone from working 80hour weeks in London, to working to 9-5 closer to home. I am swimming 45 minutes per day before work and are doing Zumba twice a week. I now seem to have some control over what I eat and the exercise that I do which is fab and not just that, I can finally tackle my big problem - portion control!

So this is my plan......................

#Mini Goal
My new goal this week is to introduce more fish into my diet and drink more water on a daily basis!

#Sort goal (6months)
I am going to Vietnam in April and would like to lose 50lbs total - only 35lbs to go!

#Long Goal
I wold like to lose a total of 70-100lbs bringing back to the size 12 I knew and loved

#Overall Ambition
To change my lifeless forever, to keep the weight off and live a happy life

If you wanna be friends, please get in touch!

Wish me luck!

Sam x

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I lost a bunch when I first started MFP...and freaked out. I called my doctor to see if I needed to do anything. Luckily it all evened out over time.

Sounds like you're doing great! The thing that I see that is going to help you out long term is your activity level. You're not living at the gym, but you're hitting just above the recommended activity level (30 minutes, five times a week). You might want to incorporate some strength training in there once the routine becomes second-nature. That's going to give you the most bang for your buck in terms of body recomposition.

It's also great that you were able to rebalance your life to give you time to do the things that are really important...and that's not just about exercise. You are 28 and have a fabulous life ahead of you. Good for you for giving yourself the time and fitness level to live it!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It will slow down to 1-2 pounds a week eventually. Don't freak out when it does.
  • SamAldridge85
    SamAldridge85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for your response to my post! Now strength training.... I have no idea about this what so ever?? I need some guidance here - what is the best thing to do to incorporate this... a class maybe? but what class..?? any advise you have would be great.

In terms of the exercise, yes I didn't want to go crazy and start living at the gym, I really wanted a FOR LIFE lifestyle change as you said... things are going ok at the moment, so fingers crossed!

Speak soon

Sx
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi, firstly congratulations on the weight loss so far. And I agree with the other posts, don't freak when it slows down!

Reading your profile hit home with me so much - I recognise a lot of what you have said. I've not found the local job yet (living in Burgess Hill so not far from you) but I have done everything else in terms of cutting the hours right back and refocussing on me. I spend 3 hours a day just getting to and from work - by the time I've added work to that, a lot of the day is done!

Strength training - well, I'm no expert but I've started with a load of the Jillian Michael's workout DVD's (life is too short to go to the gym - and costs too much:smile: ). I bought the DVD's and a pack of weights from Amazon and I am starting to notice that I'm losing inches rather than lbs. But see what works for you - I'm not a 'workout class' kind of person but that's me - and I may be considered odd:laugh:

Sent you a friend request - perhaps we can help support and motivate each other with our lifestyle changes!
  • Malachai76
    Options
    Hi Sam

like you i've lost weight now gonna start strength training. I love beach body products i've done Insanity, today is my last day doing focus t25, next i'm doing body beast which is a weights based workout, as like me your in the uk best place to get is from amazon. if you have any questions i'll happily help, i'll send you a friend request
  • uhhmeliaa
    Options
    Hey Sam!

Firs off, Congrats! That progress is amazing! I'm proud. It's people like you that soooo motivate me. I'll definitely be adding you so we can add each other as friends!

Just remember, that your body knows what it's doing. As long as you aren't starving yourself or anything, your body is doing what it needs to to be healthy. Eventually when your body feels as if it's done in it's critical loss state, it'll even out!

By the way, everyone else add me as well! I definitely need the motivation!

Amelia x
  • kjpierce1125
    Options
    It would be difficult to overemphasize how much strength training will help you. I believe one pound of muscle requires 10 calories per day at rest while fat requires much less. So, if you gain an additional 10 lbs of muscle, you will burn around 100 calories per day which, in turn, will burn just under 1 lb of fat per month without you doing anything. Also, that doesn't take into account how you will work out to maintain that muscle and burn far more calories... maybe as much as 400 per hour for a vigorous workout. Being stronger makes everyday life easier... it's like the difference in getting a good night's sleep where you literally jump out of bed versus being a little hung over and tired in the morning. One final benefit is that having muscle tone improves the way you look in a way that simply restricting calories never can.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • tropical4321
    Options
    Really motivated me your post, I have exactly 15lbs left to get to my 50lb goal and have platued but I needed to be more rigid with my tracking and lost 4lb this week!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Tropicalfirestorm
    Tropicalfirestorm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    without reading your post- just make sure you don't loose it too fast. You want your skin- NOT THE SKIN ON THE SURFACE BUT THE LAYERS BELOW to have time to readjust itself to your body so that when you loose weight it is not super baggy. also, if you are going for a huge goal, then don't start off with too low a calories or high an exercise thing. You want to be able to make your exercise regime harder and lower your calories when the numbers start stargnating.

Great job and good luck!

Also be careful- I lost my first 13lbs in one month and gained back 5lbs in the next two/three weeks by cheating. sucks.
  • f1usah
    f1usah Posts: 10
    Options
    Way to go! Keep it up, and remember to TREAT yourself - don't CHEAT yourself :happy:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for your response to my post! Now strength training.... I have no idea about this what so ever?? I need some guidance here - what is the best thing to do to incorporate this... a class maybe? but what class..?? any advise you have would be great.

In terms of the exercise, yes I didn't want to go crazy and start living at the gym, I really wanted a FOR LIFE lifestyle change as you said... things are going ok at the moment, so fingers crossed!

Speak soon

Sx

A lot of people on MFP start with either New Rules of Lifting for Women (there's a book/Kindle version) or Stronglifts 5 X 5 (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/) The message board "Eat, Train, Progress) is THE place for inspiration and advice.
  • SamAldridge85
    SamAldridge85 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    awesome reply.... thanks :)