I want to lift HEAVY(ish)!! At home advice?

Options
OK, I am convinced. I am so impressed with you guys! All you lifters (esp females) look amazing. I want to be just like you, lol!

Unfortunately I don't have access to a gym. Also my place is very small so I don't have room for benches, barbells, etc.
So I was hoping to start with dumbbells for now... better than nothing.

I'm looking for tips to get started. Any programs, books, apps you'd recommend? Please no DVDs - I'm coming off the 30-day Shred and as much as I love Jillian its so monotonous I can never stick to it. Plus I was hoping to go heavier.

TIA!

Replies

• jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I got the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" I haven't started it yet, but have read it and it has some great information as well as workouts. I hear people have had great success with it so check it out. :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you don't have access to a squat rack and a bench then the "heavy lifting" style of workouts are not a possibility for you. However there are PLENTY of other options that can get you comparable results, ranging from sandbags, kettlebells, suspension trainers, dumbbells, to bodyweight workouts.

The workouts in the book the above poster mentioned require use of a squat rack and bench.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    I got the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" I haven't started it yet, but have read it and it has some great information as well as workouts. I hear people have had great success with it so check it out. :)

I have this book and I'm starting NROL4W on Tuesday. It's so exciting!

I was at the gym trialling the lifts today and getting my form right. I like NROL4W. Happy to learn alongside you.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    What's this ISH you refer to?
  • Foosday
    Options
    If you don't have access to a squat rack and a bench then the "heavy lifting" style of workouts are not a possibility for you. However there are PLENTY of other options that can get you comparable results, ranging from sandbags, kettlebells, suspension trainers, dumbbells, to bodyweight workouts.

The workouts in the book the above poster mentioned require use of a squat rack and bench.

This.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know you said no DVD's but I just started Chalean Extreme and its focused mainly on weights. I've done(started) 30 day shred and it is nothing like that. I am only on day 3 but so far I really love it more than any other DVD I've tried.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's tough at home without a squat rack or bench.

The book "You Are Your Own Gym" is fantastic for mostly body weight exercises.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and I do just fine. I don't have a bench, but I have a bar and lots of weights. Luckily, a friend donated an awful lot of weight plates to me. At the moment I'm lifting 115-120lbs. I do agree there's obviously more and better things to do at the gym, but it's not IMPOSSIBLE to lift at home.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This.

Once again, this.

If I recall correctly though, New Rules does have modifications for those doing it at home (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

You can go to bodybuilding.com and look through routines there and learn modifications.

But eventually your dumbbells will be too light and you'll have to buy more which can take up a lot of space if you don't buy a rack for them (stacking them in a pile would cause me to have one crash down on my foot lol)

It is most definitely a good place to begin but as you progress, you might want to look for a gym or a new place to live where you can get a rack and bench (or you know, get rid of your couch and put it there... XD )
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    What's this ISH you refer to?

LOL... I just KNEW someone would question my ISH!! I know true heavy is the only way to get results I've seen. Due to my space limitations, for now I'm just looking to start with something more than my dinky 5-lb DVD weights.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had checked out a preview of NROL4W on Amazon and saw it required more equipment. I'll definitely see if I can do modifications with it though.

What about any apps? I saw someone posted about Nike Training Club. Keep any more advice coming!

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had checked out a preview of NROL4W on Amazon and saw it required more equipment. I'll definitely see if I can do modifications with it though.

What about any apps? I saw someone posted about Nike Training Club. Keep any more advice coming!

Nike Training club is more or less a collection of boot camp style workouts which place a strong emphasis on cardio. If you're looking at the kind of results you can get from lifting heavy, you won't get it from the NTC app. If space is a consideration get yourself a sandbag kit or a suspension trainer. Probably THE single best substitution for barbells if space does not permit them. Want more info let me know.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There is a "you are your own gym" app.

Nerdfitness also has some bodyweight/limited equipment routines.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

this
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I lift at home with dumbbells. I like to use those 30 day program charts you find online and I just increase the weights as time goes on. I also plan to start with a kettlebell soon.

Look on Craigslist or other websites or at Goodwill for used weights. As you go increase the amount of weight you use, you can sell your old ones online to give yourself more space.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Since you said no DVD's I won't recommend P90x, though it is a good workout.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "heavy ish", but I know that if use free weights and dumbbells, and lift a weight heavy enough that you are able to do 10-12 reps per set, but not more, (11 and 12 should be very difficult) and you do that weight until you are able to do more than 12 and then increase the weight, and you keep track on paper, you will eventually be able to lift heavier and heavier weights, and will build muscle in the process.

You can find plenty of specific exercises here: http://www.dumbbell-exercises.com/index.html

Each day track you number of sets and number of reps each set, and the weight used, and try to increase it slowly. You'll have to invest in dumbells of various weights, and be willing to purchase new ones when the current ones become "too light."
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good question. I am also very impressed by the results of the heavy lifting and weight related workouts. I have limited space as well. I could join a gym, but know I will not go in the coming winter.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    OK, I am convinced. I am so impressed with you guys! All you lifters (esp females) look amazing. I want to be just like you, lol!

Unfortunately I don't have access to a gym. Also my place is very small so I don't have room for benches, barbells, etc.
    So I was hoping to start with dumbbells for now... better than nothing.

I'm looking for tips to get started. Any programs, books, apps you'd recommend? Please no DVDs - I'm coming off the 30-day Shred and as much as I love Jillian its so monotonous I can never stick to it. Plus I was hoping to go heavier.

TIA!
    I started with dumbells :) learn basic lifts, curls, tricep extensions, chest presses, weighted squats and dumbell deadlifts. I used to squat while holding my 70lb pitbull :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I know you said no DVD's but I just started Chalean Extreme (CLX) and its focused mainly on weights. I've done(started) 30 day shred and it is nothing like that. I am only on day 3 but so far I really love it more than any other DVD I've tried.

I second this! I'm almost done with the first month (It's a 90 day program) and I am in love with it and what it's doing to my body! I use 3lb, 6lb, 10lb, and 15lb dumbbells and a resistance band tied in a knot (she calls it a "thigh toner"). I'll need 20lb and 25lb for the next phases I think. I am seeing some great muscle definition and fat loss.

I definitely understand the monotony of 30 Day Shred and CLX isn't like that at all. It's broken up into 3 phases (one each month) and each week has 3 different weight routines, and 2 different cardio/stretching videos so you do different workouts each day within a week. Definitely prevents boredom. She's really motivating in a non-abrasive way unlike Jillian too :)
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells! I'd recommend getting someone who is certified to teach you the ropes and then you can buy the bells and work out with them at home. That's what I do.