Sugar

Options
I'm very new to this site and losing weight. I've lost 26lbs in almost 3 months. I track EVERYTHING I eat. My concern is Sugar. I go over my Sugar content every day. By lunch--I'm already in the red. Even with working out in the morning and "earning" more calories--I still go over. Trust me--I'm not eating donuts/bagels/muffins or anything fun! I eat oatmeal (which has 1). Mid morning I eat an apple. By the time I eat a lean cuisine at lunch--my sugar is done for the day. I love fruit--especially apples. How significant is this sugar measurement when it comes to weightloss?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If it's mostly from fruit, ignore it. That limit is actually the FDA limit for added sugars only, but MFP counts added sugars and naturally-occurring sugars (like fruit) the same. If you don't have any existing blood glucose problems (like diabetes), just treat sugar as a carb. The micronutrient and fiber of fruit are very beneficial for your health.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I go over EVERY day ... every day. So .. I just don't worry about it anymore. If I have a piece of fruit, I am over. So in my mind, that is just crazy as fruits are good for us.

Just try not to have too much sugar from bad sources .. but from natural foods, I don't see it as a bad thing.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit every day and just don't track sugar. I keep my overall carb intake where it should be. It seems to be working fine for me. Good luck!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I asked the same questions. As someone above pointed out, MFP is giving you the limit because that is the recommended daily allowance for ADDED sugars. However, MFP doesn't know how to track added verses natural occuring from whole fruits for example.

What someone suggested to me was to create a new meal and call it fruits and vegatables. Then put all of your whole fruits and vegables in there. Then you will then be able to to track them and subtract them out easier.

I personally just ignore sugar now. I track fiber and potassium instead with my macros.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you ya'll! Weightloss can be so confusing!
  • Aarchman07030
    Aarchman07030 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue--in the red on sugar even on days when I'm well in the black=--or green--on calories, carbs, etc.

I think that previous posters have made a good point; about MFP's inability to discern different types of sugars, and I think that--within reason--if your sugar number is high due to fruits and vegetables, you can probably ignore that column. None of us are here because we ate too many carrots (a high-sugar "good" food).

I WILL say, though, that one of the great things aboput the site is the way the MFP numbers have sensitized me to the seemingly innocent foods that are high-carb, high-calorie and high-sugar culprits in my diet.

Lean Cuisine is easy, good-tasting and--compared to a Pastrami sandwich--healthy and low-fat. But it is processed, factory-made "food"--which is always going to have more sodium and/or more sugar than is really good for us in the long run.
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    I have the same issue--in the red on sugar even on days when I'm well in the black=--or green--on calories, carbs, etc.

I think that previous posters have made a good point; about MFP's inability to discern different types of sugars, and I think that--within reason--if your sugar number is high due to fruits and vegetables, you can probably ignore that column. None of us are here because we ate too many carrots (a high-sugar "good" food).

I WILL say, though, that one of the great things aboput the site is the way the MFP numbers have sensitized me to the seemingly innocent foods that are high-carb, high-calorie and high-sugar culprits in my diet.

Lean Cuisine is easy, good-tasting and--compared to a Pastrami sandwich--healthy and low-fat. But it is processed, factory-made "food"--which is always going to have more sodium and/or more sugar than is really good for us in the long run.

I completely agree about the Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones meals. For some unknown reason I like to have 3 hot meals a day. There are times I go to Subway for dinner, or occasionally I have a salad for dinner--that is rare though. In my brain--warm meals=fulfillment. I struggle with portions--thus why I grab a frozen meal. I don't have to think about the calories and portion size. The only thing that I keep going over on is Sugar. All it takes is 2 pieces of fruit (which I eat daily) to go over that limit. I hope to (one day) move on from the typical frozen meal lunches, because there are other options.
  • Aarchman07030
    Aarchman07030 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ugh--I hear you on portion size. That's probably the biggest argument for me in favor of the packaged meals. If I cook for myself--healthier--I'm likely to eat 2x or 3x as much--less healthy--than if I let Nestle decide for me.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ use measuring cups when portioning out your meals. Pay attention to serving size on your ingredients nutitional facts.
  • britgarn
    Options
    I realize I'm repeating the same information everyone else is, but the more the merrier! I constantly go over my sugar limits and though I am alarmed by it occasionally; when I look at my foods for the day, I settle down. I snack on fruit throughout the day. Apple slices, a pear here or there, a banana with my breakfast, etc. Just one or two pieces of fruit send me over the sugar limit immediately. Unless you look at your foods and see that you're eating a lot of processed carbohydrates or just plain junk -- don't worry about it. Don't eat that orange or you'll get fat! . . . said no one . . ever. These tools are great for some things but use your common sense and judgement first and foremost.
  • KarenLanglois
    Options
    It is the only feature I do not like about tracking my food intake. I don't think the sugar reading is good for moral. Mine is blown after putting in my fruit and veggies. Imagine if I had a chocolate bar!!! I try to ignore it but do wish it were more realistic!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am NEVER not over on sugar and I could careless. I don't even look at the sugar content and when i do happen to see it, it doesn't phase me whatsoever.

unless you have a reason to be concerned with sugar, don't.
    if you're losing weight doing what you're doing, don't worry about it.
    if you ever do come to some stop in weightloss it could be something to think about cutting a bit (but there are other ways, different workouts, upping protein, etc. everyone's different so.. again, probably don't worry about it so much)

enjoy your sugar! congrats on your weightloss and success this far!
  • CindyArlene
    CindyArlene Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I got irritated by the red number that appeared after a few apples so I changed my columns, Now mfp shows my daily fiber instead which is much more useful to me:)
  • _jayciemarie_
    Options
    I got irritated by the red number that appeared after a few apples so I changed my columns, Now mfp shows my daily fiber instead which is much more useful to me:)

I changed my column to fiber as well. I go over my fiber amount now. lol