Keeping goals but changing plans/rewards...Do or Not Do

Options
I actually started the weight loss thing back in January of '13 Started at 281 and in July I started MFP @ 255. At that same time I had a 30 day beard going on and I decided I was not going to shave my beard untill I reached my original goal of 205 lbs. So I had to loose 50 lbs from that day for my beard to be shaved. A total of 77 lbs.

Main reason is I knew I was going to start to get sick of the beard, 2nd reason is my wife would get sick of the beard and tell me to get off my but or at-least make sure I was reminded I had a goal to achieve.

I never set a date, but I was sure I was going to be able to make that by December. Here I am at 241lbs and I haven't been able to keep up the weight loss rate I was going at.

My dilemma now is I'm on the local Volunteer Fire Department and not technically suppose to have anything larger than a goatee or mustache. Fall/Winter is our most probable time of the year to have structure fires. I keep my trimmer plugged in and ready, just in case we do get paged out for a structure, so if forced to its gone.

So here is my thoughts, and I would like yours.

Keep my same goal of 205...Come up with a new reward. (Thinkin our biggest loser competition at work is coming up, if I start at 230 in Jan and loose 25lbs by May I will win it again in 2014 because 10% usually takes the cake!)

I have my counter set for 230...I can make my new beard off goal for when I get to 230 By Dec 31st. (52lbs lost)

Is this a good change or am I wimping out? Since I changed my mind once am I going to keep changing it if my success is slow.

What should I do?

Replies

• Firemansam79
    Firemansam79 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    No one for support?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think you should trim it, whatever you need to do to for the FD. I don't think it is wimping out by not keeping that goal, it is just re-prioritizing your life and your work with the FD is very important. As long as your dedication to keep at the weight loss goal is still strong.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Only you can really know what will motivate you to get out and work out. The ultimate reward is being happy in your own skin.

I set a goal to run a Tough Mudder and it worked for me. Having an finite end date and an event where I had to be in shape or else helped me. Also, I was accountable to the friends who were running with me - I didn't want to let them down or slow them up. This also took the focus off of weight and put it on fitness.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You might lose some weight just taking the beard off. LOL You could also set a reward for your wife. If she keeps pushing you to work out and you reach 205, take her out dancing or a concert or a romantic weekend or something else she would like.
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You might lose some weight just taking the beard off. LOL You could also set a reward for your wife. If she keeps pushing you to work out and you reach 205, take her out dancing or a concert or a romantic weekend or something else she would like.

this.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    If I'm the person in the burning building, I don't want to wait for you to fix your beard first. LOL!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Do what you gotta do to keep your job.

I think it's perfectly fine to change your reward as long as you don't wimp out on the goal. It's even fine to change your goal, as long as you aren't making excuses.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think it's perfectly fine to change your reward as long as you don't wimp out on the goal. It's even fine to change your goal, as long as you aren't making excuses.

Yep, this too. Goals can change. I have my counter set to 125 but, honestly, I don't really care if I get there as much as I care that I am fit and I hit my next goal (5k under 30 minutes).
  • Firemansam79
    Options
    If I'm the person in the burning building, I don't want to wait for you to fix your beard first. LOL!

For you, I will mask up over the beard. Get in and drag you to safety before I run out of air. :) I wouldn't waste the time to mow it off if they paged persons trapped. Risk a lot to save a lot, risk little to save a little. I would take the extra minute if it were just property at stake.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    What do you do for cat stuck in tree?
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You are not whimping out you have a protocol to follow. Set a new goal. the Biggest Looser thing sounds good. Good luck.
  • Firemansam79
    Options

That's the thing I wont lose my job for a beard. They don't enforce it.

Part of the beard is to hide my new face for an incentive too.

I'm Deciding to Make 230 my new Beard "OFF" goal. And my overall goal will remain the same. Its still going to be tough and I will remain focused even if its slow and steady. The longer it take the more of a habit it becomes!
  • Firemansam79
    Options
    What do you do for cat stuck in tree?

Put on my red flannel shirt and chop the tree down! lol j/k

The thing about cats is when they get hungry, they will come down.
  • Firemansam79
    Options
    So today, I made the change. 230 and the beard goes in the trash.

It will be a new day!

In January, my work will be stariting its annual weight loss competition. I'll hope to be @ 228/230 at the start of it. 10% usually wins. I won last year with 10.3% and the closest competitor was @ 8.01%

New goal will be set to 205lbs. The program runs for 19 weeks. So 1.25lbs a week to lose for a win!

Already feeling like a winner!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

I'm Deciding to Make 230 my new Beard "OFF" goal. And my overall goal will remain the same. Its still going to be tough and I will remain focused even if its slow and steady. The longer it take the more of a habit it becomes!

Really? Our Fire fighters can't have anything over a mustache, and even then it can't be over a certain size so it doesn't interfere with their PPE/BA....
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Keep safety first !!! or you could lose 50 in a way your really don't want to :noway:
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    That should not even be a question. Shave the beard, regardless whether it is enforced or not. There is a reason it is written in the code and that's safety. Have you thought the liability for the town if something happens due to the beard?

Also, do not put in your mind that you are 230 lbs now and do not wait for January to be in the same weight. Even though there are holidays in between, you have to think of it as a lifestyle change, not just diet. Eat smaller servings of the holiday feast, exercise for an extra hour before or after the meal, eat more turkey and Brussels sprouts, or what ever vegetable you like, and smaller servings of the buttery mashed potatoes and dessert. Eat more vegetables and fruits in your daily diet. Just incorporate small changes in your daily food and you will lose 1/4 lb weekly. Think of small changes you can do in your diet. Replace soda with carbonated water, drink coffee without sugar and cream, eat a fruit and a smaller dessert, or whatever it is that you eat.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So today, I made the change. 230 and the beard goes in the trash.

It will be a new day!

In January, my work will be stariting its annual weight loss competition. I'll hope to be @ 228/230 at the start of it. 10% usually wins. I won last year with 10.3% and the closest competitor was @ 8.01%

New goal will be set to 205lbs. The program runs for 19 weeks. So 1.25lbs a week to lose for a win!

Already feeling like a winner!

Sounds like a great plan. Good luck with everything and keep us updated with your results!
  • Firemansam79
    Options

Really? Our Fire fighters can't have anything over a mustache, and even then it can't be over a certain size so it doesn't interfere with their PPE/BA....

Really really!

I love being on the department but absolutely hate the lack of authority and discipline. It's a small town VFD with 22 members. Town population is about 270. I honestly would love for the Chief to pull me aside and say. "Mike, we really need to start acting like a real fire department would you please keep your facial hair to NIOSH and NFPA standards." I would do it in a heartbeat without hesitation. After I shaved my face clean, I would then ask him, how I can help get the rest of the department, personell and equipment up to real fire department standards.

There is no balls on our dept. I've tried leading by example. But the old guys are so stubborn they wont give an inch. For now I'm just layin in the weeds. 3 of the 35+ year guys are retiring this year and the rest of the bullheads are soon to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I dont think safety is a joke. I think its a number one priority. I would not put a brother ff in danger for anything, and only risk what needs to be risked of my own if need be.