Weight Loss Surgery Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There is no way to guarentee you won't have loose skin. You just have a better chance with losing it slowly. I would encourage you to do weight lifting along with cardio to build muscle and improve the "look" of your body as you lose weight. You can do this girl! YOU ARE WORTH all the blood, sweat, tears and dedication it's going to take!!! Just simply cutting your portions in half, you will make a huge difference. Take baby steps at first and choose to cut out things that you can live without, just reduce the portion/frequency of those things you cannot live without. Add fruits and veggies to every meal. Things like that.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have not had weight loss surgery, however, I have several very close friends that did opt for the surgery.

The first friend was about 10 years ago, she was close to 500 pounds, and that was after losing the weight required before they would even consider her for surgery. In about 6 months she was down to just under 300 pounds, and things were going very well. Suddenly she got very sick, and they found that during her surgery they had nicked one of her other organs, but because of all the other side effects of the surgery and sudden weight loss it went unnoticed and untreated. She had a major infection and had to undergo several additional surgeries. This is highly uncommon, however, this is just one complication that could happen.

After those surgeries to fix the "nicked" organ & infections, she did very well for the first 18 months with the diet restrictions (which are very limiting). She got to a weight she was happy with and gradually started eating a bit more here and there. It didn't take long before she gained the weight back because in the end she went back to her old eating habits. Keep in mind this was 10 years ago and things have changed some, especially with the Lapband that is available.

My next friend became skeletal. He had the lapband procedure and followed the diet religiously and was looking great. Once he had the band removed he was so terrified of gaining the weight back that he began restricting his diet even further. It was very scary and his wife ended up doing an intervention of sorts. He is now at a healthy weight, eats correctly and sees his Drs regularly.

Another friend had lapband and he did super well. Once the band came out, he gained about half the weight back, but as he realized what he was doing, he made lifestyle changes to his diet and exercise. He is doing very well and recently told me it is what he should have done to begin with.

Another girlfriend of mine had lapband done 3 years ago. Initially she dropped about half the weight she wanted to lose very quickly. Then started having health issues due to diabetes. They had to remove the band because she needed to be able to eat a healthy diet to get it under control, REALITY CHECK HERE... the Dr said HEALTHY diet.... what that says is that the restricted diet that you have to follow after the surgery is not healthy, at least that is what I get out of that!

Sorry I am being so long winded, but from all of these experiences with my friends, it has made me very cautious of weight loss surgery, especially once you find out that in the long run the only thing that really helped any of them was a healthy diet with a moderate deficit and exercise. So when you see and hear people say weight loss is all about calories in/out-a deficit, it really is!

Best of luck to you, please make sure if you do decide to do the surgery that you think long & hard, you do lots of actual research, ask questions of your Doctors and see the councellor before during and after.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The only person I know who had weight loss surgery did well for awhile but eventually gained all the weight back. I don't think it is the best option for you. You will succeed in losing weight and keeping it off if you change your lifestyle. You need to eat less, move more, and drink plenty of water. Give MFP a year of consistent logging and calorie counting. I'll bet you can do this without surgery and make it a permanent change. Good luck to you.
  • deedee85
    deedee85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery myself, but my aunt and one of my coworkers had the lap band. I've know two people who had gastric bypass. the lap band seemed to work better granted they did exercise and made healthy food choices they lost their weight gradually. Versus the bypass excess skin and many complications. But I would do my research with LICENSE PROFESSIONAL before you make any decisions. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My wife had gastric bypass in 1999. This past Christmas was spent in the hospital as she was a week or two away from death. The malnutrition over the years from the surgery was causing her internal organs to fail. She ended up on a feeding tube until the surgery was partially reversed in March. She's a new person now.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the results of the surgery. You are limited because of the procedure as to what you can eat. It is kind of a mandatory crash diet. It forces you to eat only certain things while your body learns to deal with the after effects of the procedure. Isn't it just simpler to just go on a diet. It costs a lot less, and if you lose weight more gradually, the loose skin issue should not be an issue. The MyFitnessPal app on my phone has been very effective for me. just set a goal and stay under it. It is tough at first, but for me it is kind of a game to figure out how I'm going to stay under my limit each day. You can still have pizza for dinner, but if you only have 800 calories remaining that day, you can only have 3 slices instead of the 4 or 5 I would have eaten in the past. You can still enjoy life, I was recently in Florida for a few days, and I totally blew my diet while there. I just went back on my diet and within a few days have lost what I gained in Florida. That isn't an option with surgery.

Don't you have to lose a certain amount of weight on your own before you can get approved for the surgery? You might want to take that opportunity to see if you can just continue losing the weight through diet without the surgery.

I've seen people initially lose a lot of weight, but eventually old habits creep back in and they gain weight back (that may differ between lap band vs. gastric bypass). When you couple that with the chance of complications from the procedure I would think twice.

That being said, if other health issues are exasperated by your weight, then it might be more important to get the weight off in a hurry. Either way, you will have to make serious changes to your diet, the only difference is whether it is forced by surgery or through willpower.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hey, and welcome to MFP. You have made the first step by joining MFP. MFP will calculate how much you need to consume every day, just to stay alive. You need to be honest with yourself and logg everything you eat, and don't forget your water. Remember, you are not on a diet and loosing more than 2Lb a week, is not recommended, no matter how much you weigh as it can put a strain on your heart and other complications can follow. Your weight might impaire with your ability to move around, but logg everything you do as this can be logged as well. Heavier people burn a lot more kcal than the average person, so this need to be taken into account. For most people who have been on every diet imagineable, and being adviced to eat more, rather than less can be the biggest hurdle. MFP will teach you to change how you view food, and you will begin the road to a healthier you. This will vary depending on the individual, and how much they are willing to learn about health and nutrition. On the other hand, if you are looking for a quick weight loss solution then MFP, is not for you, and a gastric band would probably be encouraged by your physician, to prevent you from putting your life at risk. Either way, which ever route you choose to take, I wish you luck.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I seriously thought about the surgery. I started at 363 lbs. I am now 314. I know this is a journey and I accept that. I have a friend that did the surgery. She had to eat shakes for like 6 months. is that anyway to live? I didn't think that was the way I wanted to go and I am glad I didn't. I am going at my own pace and that is fine for me. I would suggest really doing some soul searching to see if that is really what you want to do. Good Luck with your decision!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am down a total of 116 lbs and I am looking forward to hitting goal (about 50 lbs more). When I do I will be having skin removal surgery. I will wear the scares with pride knowing all the hard work I have put in to change me into a healthier person. Hanging skin, scars or fat or healthy made the decision easier for me.
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    You are definitely going to get very opinionated answers on this question. Especially, the "my friend", "my co worker", "my sister" responses. I am proud to say that I have had the lapband done. Is it a quick fix? Hell no, it isn't...and anyone thinking it is or will be has been badly mistaken. That is why any qualified doctor will put you through a series of tests to make sure that you understand this from the beginning.

I exercise every day....I don't starve myself. I don't drink soda, not because the band won't let me. I don't drink it because it isn't healthy! My whole mindset has changed. I now understand the importance of what goes in my mouth and how much hard work it takes to exercise off putting something bad in my mouth.

You have to be the one to decide that this is something you can live with and use to the best of your ability. You will not get malnourished and starve if you do things like you are supposed to. It is not designed for that purpose and to those of you who think it is, you have been sadly misled. Genetics play a huge role in whether or not you are going to have sagging skin...and that will happen if you lose great amounts of weight (regardless of whether you have the surgery or not.)

You are young...take control of your life now!! Don't wait until you have serious medical conditions that make it harder for you. Embrace your life and go with it :)
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    The only person I know who had weight loss surgery did well for awhile but eventually gained all the weight back. I don't think it is the best option for you. You will succeed in losing weight and keeping it off if you change your lifestyle. You need to eat less, move more, and drink plenty of water. Give MFP a year of consistent logging and calorie counting. I'll bet you can do this without surgery and make it a permanent change. Good luck to you.

^^^^THIS!
  • deedee85
    deedee85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery myself, but my aunt and one of my coworkers had the lap band. I've know two people who had gastric bypass. the lap band seemed to work better granted they did exercise and made healthy food choices they lost their weight gradually. Versus the bypass excess skin and many complications. But I would do my research with LICENSE PROFESSIONAL before you make any decisions. Good luck to you on your journey.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Last night, I ran into an acquaintance who I hadn't seen since our classes together ended in April. We were both noticeably thinner than we had been the last time we saw each other, and, as it turned out, we had both lost exactly the same amount of weight...mine since December, 2012, through diet and exercise, and hers since April by having gastric bypass surgery.

Let me first explain that surgery would have been my final option if my current journey had been unsuccessful. I was desperate. Fortunately for me, I have found what works for me.

What I noticed was that, even though she is much younger than I am, my body seems to be handling the weight loss a whole lot better than hers is. I used to have a "basketball belly", which turned into a "deflated balloon" at the top of my thighs by June. But that balloon is noticeably smaller now and I am no longer as concerned as I used to be that I will require surgery to remove the excess skin once I reach my goal. Her "deflated balloon" was clearly noticeable under her slacks. Her face was smaller, but looked wrinkled because of the excess skin.

It could be the difference in our bodies' ability to recover, in our skin elasticity. It could be due to timing, as her weight loss was quicker and her body has had less time to adjust to it. But it could also be that I have logged more hours in the gym, which has helped me to tone as I've lost. Please know that I'm not telling you this to be mean, because I really wish the best for her, for you, and for anyone who is battling for their health the way that we are.

I would advise that you try every other option first. Try a diet and exercise plan first...and give yourself a year. How much can you accomplish in a year? That's what I did. Ten months later and I am more than happy with my results. Even though I am 50+ pounds away from goal, I no longer feel trapped and desperate. And I know I will get there eventually.

Good luck, sweetie! I know you can do this!!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Advice No 1. Be Happy. you dont need to sound/feel sad at any point.
    Advice No 2. A year is all that is required to make the most of it.

If anything can be treated naturally it should be given a chance.
    For me actully any diet or surgey which tells me that you cannot eat a certain thing ever in your life that is impossible.

i am also 24 and you too so make a lot of friends here on mfp and we can togethor do this

we have a life ahead girl. Be happy :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120504-100-pounds-gone-forever
  • jmreich30
    jmreich30 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I would suggest trying to lose weight naturally through changing your eating habits and working out. Its easy to think surgery would be so nice, get it done and thats it. I used to think that way too. I worked out while being heavy and just never got results. It wasn't until this past February that I changed the way I eat that combined with what I was already doing that I finally started to results.

I started at 319 and now almost 8 full months later I'm at 230. 89lbs in that time is what I lost. I would say I have a little bit of loose skin, but you know what I'd rather have a little bit of loose skin and have significantly better health with the weight lost. I used to think it was impossible to lose weight, felt sorry for myself. I have torn ligaments in my knees from playing goalie and they bothered me all the time. After I tore my ACL 5 years ago I thought I was done playing. Now with the weight lost I can play competitively again.

Nothing is overnight, you have to work and be disciplined. If your not either way you're not gonna get the results you want. Set a goal and work to get there. You can do it, you just have to believe in yourself!
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Don't know if these things have already been stated, but here is my input:

--Look into the gastric sleeve, possibly the safest surgical option available and now covered by most insurance (does not include the malabsorption of bypass surgeries, and lap-bands are considered a really bad option by most surgeons)

--Do LOTS of research for each type. There are lots of groups, forums and discussion boards devoted to each type. Join them and hang around and learn ACTUAL experiences from folks who have the same issues you do. Certain surgeries are especially bad ideas for those with particular OTHER health issues.

--In your weight range, you can likely get insurance to cover BOTH the weight loss surgery AND subsequent skin removal if you opt for that. Most cover the latter as well from what I've learned. Even public insurance plans will cover these in the morbidly obese.

--Look at the long-term and consider how good you think you will be at maintaining. Losing a massive amount of weight and then regaining it is much more dangerous to your body than never losing it all. Make sure that whatever you route you choose, you feel it's the best support for the LONG RUN.

I am preparing (I think, unless I chicken out) for sleeve surgery in the spring, feel free to friend me if you want! I'm losing lots of weight now, but this is a one-shot deal for me due to other health issues (see bio) so I have to make SURE that it's a one-way trip ... it can be done healthfully but you have to commit to a lot of things like not drinking soda. Well, I gave up soda years ago, so most of the changes are no big deal for me but might be dealbreakers for others. There are fabulous groups on FB too, and they've taught me a LOT about the real-world experiences that the medical articles don't cover.
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is a very personal question so just know that you will be supported and loved no matter which way you go. It's great to talk to us on the internet about this but I definitely think you should get the facts straight from medical professionals, especially those w/o an agenda (ie, ask a holistic practicioner AND a surgeon - not just one or the other).

My opinion is to try to make an appointment with a nutritionist, registered dietician, or medically supervised weight loss program in your area that focuses on real food (not shakes and supplements). Stick with it for a year, and THEN decide if you want surgery or not. This way, if you do go for surgery, you are already well on your way to developing the new habits that will maximize it's effectiveness. And if you decide against surgery, you're still on the path to better health!

Now, you CAN loose a lot of weight with shakes and supplements. And, if used properly in conjunction with "real food", they can be quite effective. I just advocate against them for you while you're considering surgery. I think limiting oneself to real food during weight loss is a good way to work on one's relationship with food as in how to shop, plan meals, avoid excess calories at restaurants that you aren't even enjoying that much, etc. And also to find out what types of food work best with your body so that you can shed weight while feeling full and having energy. This is crucial to long term success. It's not usually the treats that make us heavy, but the day-to-day habits. . . Once some habits that optimize weight loss have become normalized, then I think use of supplements is helpful. This way, when you go back to eating "normal", the new "normal" will be something that helps you continue to loose or maintain weight instead of slowly gain it back.