Why much weight make us older?

Options
Hello,

I sometimes watch extreme makeover weightloss, the biggest loser, and others and i always see that people in the final are more youngest compared to the begin of the journney of weight loss. Why? Why much weight make us older?

Thank you

Replies

• KimINfortheWin
    KimINfortheWin Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I can only attest to my personal experience, but when I was at my highest weight, I began to not take care of myself. Not fix my hair, put on makeup or care what clothes I wore because I looked fat in everything - so it didn't matter what I did. Also, carrying around the extra weight made me tired all the time and that showed in my face.

I think that a lot of people when they lose weight, they have a new level of confidence, take better care of their bodies because they have worked so hard to be there, drink plenty of water to help them stay hydrated (i.e. skin looks better) and intentionally pick clothes that look better on their new bodies so that they can show them off.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    In my experience, where I'm from, it was mostly older people who were overweight so my brain plays tricks on me and automatically assumes a heavier person is older than their age.
    There was a girl who posted before and after pics in the success stories section and it looked like she not only lost 50lbs but 10 years off her looks as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I actually look older with 65 less pounds.
  • ADietadaM
    ADietadaM Posts: 213 Member
    Options

and why you said that?
  • ADietadaM
    Options
    In my experience, where I'm from, it was mostly older people who were overweight so my brain plays tricks on me and automatically assumes a heavier person is older than their age.
    There was a girl who posted before and after pics in the success stories section and it looked like she not only lost 50lbs but 10 years off her looks as well.

Can you tell me who is she? maybe the link to see the before and after pictures?
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who look older when skinny. In certain people, the extra weight makes their skin more taut, whereas if they were thin, there would be visible wrinkles. Example: my oldest aunt looks 10 years younger than the youngest, who is already 10 years younger, and the oldest is fat, the youngest is skinny.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Many overweight people look tired and rundown. If you aren't taking care of yourself it shows physically and it will be evident in your hair, skin, and the way you look. It's hard to carry around extra weight. one of the first things I believe you notice during weight loss on anyone is their skin starts looking so much healthier. Then you know you'll start seeing so many other positive changes...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options

Can you tell me who is she? maybe the link to see the before and after pictures?

I don't remember the thread and I didn't respond to it so I can't find it, sorry.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've always thought people who've lost weight, especially when they've lost it quickly, look older. I noticed a few celebrities who've had gastric bands and lost weight quickly look older the thinner they got.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

and why you said that?

I just do. I always looked 5 to 10 years younger (like people asking where I went to school when I was 28), now not so much :(
  • ADietadaM
    Options

I don't remember the thread and I didn't respond to it so I can't find it, sorry.

No problem!
  • ADietadaM
    Options

and why you said that?

I just do. I always looked 5 to 10 years younger (like people asking where I went to school when I was 28), now not so much :(

Drink Equisetum tea that help skin glow and the skin, because have silic. Try to eat things with orange color, and use a little of blush, helps always!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop losing weight when my orbital bones started to show. Hollow eyes make anyone look older.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've lost a good 35 pounds this year and people are also telling me I look younger. It's true that some people associate fat = old, so that's certainly a part of it.

I think that when people compare how you moved while heavier to the slimmer you, you should LOOK like you're moving faster, with a bounce in your step, etc., versus how you did before. And of course, you just FEEL darn well better that you did. That's the je-ne-sais-quoi that can shine through on photos. I recently added a few then and now pics to my profile, to keep an eye on where I've been to better know where I'm going... I tend to think I look older, but better; but people have said I do look younger...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I think that when people compare how you moved while heavier to the slimmer you, you should LOOK like you're moving faster, with a bounce in your step, etc., versus how you did before. And of course, you just FEEL darn well better that you did. That's the je-ne-sais-quoi that can shine through on photos. I recently added a few then and now pics to my profile, to keep an eye on where I've been to better know where I'm going... I tend to think I look older, but better; but people have said I do look younger...

I agree with looking better, and older at a lower weight. I don't want to look gaunt, but we all get older, and so what if we do, if you're healthy, active, and energetic?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i think it can it can go either way. I think I look younger, but like others have commented, I probably looked older when I was heavier because it's tiring lugging around 300lbs. Also, like lithezebra said, some people lose too much weight and get that hollow eyed look.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I look older the more I lose weight. For me, I think it is because the fat plumped out my skin and made it smoother. Without that excess fat, the fine crinkles and wrinkles are a lot more noticeable (I am in my 40s). It was a bit disappointing to realize that weight loss wasn't going to be the panacea of youth, health, and vitality that I could pretend it was when I was overweight, but I'm (mostly) over it and trying to focus on fun things like little pops of muscle here and there as I do things. :love:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I sometimes watch extreme makeover weightloss, the biggest loser, and others and i always see that people in the final are more youngest compared to the begin of the journney of weight loss. Why? Why much weight make us older?

Thank you

It all depends on the individual and their age. My mom gets older looking when she's at a healthy weight. Sometimes a little extra fat can fill in some of those wrinkles that we get with age. She looked just like me when she was younger so I'm probably in for the same fate. I'll take the extra health benefits of being a healthy weight vs looking a few years younger. At this point in my life however, I look a couple years younger with less weight.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Certainly yo-yo dieting can prematurely age a person (skin inflates and deflates, with no chance to catch up). When an obese person loses weight dramatically, as in gastric band surgery, they will look older because of skin sagging. Depending on their age, this will reverse itself to some extent.

I have noticed that if I am dehydrated I look older.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, especially with their current age, how much weight they lost, the condition of their skin, and their facial structure. I have a naturally round face, and while I always admired women who had sharper cheekbones, the shape of my face keeps me looking younger through the weight loss. For someone who already has a sharper face when they're overweight, losing the weight can cause them to look a little gaunt in the face, which can age them.

It's also why I'll probably never get the "stop losing weight" spiel. I'll be skinnier, but I'll always have a chubbier face, and so people automatically assume that I'm not too thin because of that.