Zumba Query!!!

Options
Ok, so I got the wii dance workout and am doing it till my zumba set arrives in the mail. I was kicking around the zumba and heard quite allot of positvie comments, so I took the leap and bought it. I am finding that after 4 children and some injuries I do not have any coordination for the dance workout. I must be completely honest and say that the thought of getting the zumba workout, which is going to be way harder, is intimidating. So I am wondering...are there any others that were totally lacking in the coordination department that started it and were able to get the moves down? I am not a slouch and will take it on and work at it till I get it perfected. I also know that it might take a LONG time..lol!!! I am just wondering if there were any other ppl that felt like the tin man. Thanks!
jac

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I just received mine the other day. I haven't began yet (have been working) but i watched a portion of it. I think that the whole point of the dancing and the main goal is to just KEEP MOVING!! I don't think it matters whatsoever if you have the dance moves down perfectly etc. It's the whole idea behind, you're constantly moving that burns the calories, not whether or not you're doing the samba right. You know? As long as you follow along to the best of your ability, and don't quit when you miss a step, you'll be fine!! Im sure I dont look quite as good doing those dances as they do but the whole fact of the matter is, i'm burning fat because i'm constantly moving and keeping my heart rate up!!!!! go for it, you'll have a great time. don't worry about whether or not the steps are perfect.
  • mismgl83
    mismgl83 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started taking a zumba class in the summer and had a lot of fun. The first time I was really uncoordinated but just tried to keep up with the moves as much as possible. If I couldn't get the move down I'd modify it and just keep moving to keep my heart rate up. Sometimes the teacher would also just switch moves if she noticed that the class wasn't catching on, which you won't have the luxury of with a video but there are some standard moves and you can always just repeat one that you know. The key is to keep moving and have fun. Good luck!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Like the above poster mentions, it's all about moving! If you can find a class near you, attend - it's like a huge party without the booze ;)
  • TheDash12
    Options
    It can be super imtimading I understand where you're coming from. But the good thing about the DVDs is you can pause stop rewind until you understand what they're doing. Unlike a regular class where once you get it the songs over! Lol

And if you don't get it right away and don't want to stop they show you just a basic
    Step to just keep your heart rate up and keep moving!

I LOVE ZUMBA' ;) HAVE FUN! that's what it's all about!!!
  • sk2010
    sk2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I take a Zumba class at the gym. We have a wide spectrum of “abilities” in this class – and let me tell you – it’s not always pretty! However the instructor always reminds us that we are doing it “right” if we are moving and having a good time.

I am on the “not pretty” end of the spectrum….so I choose not to go often. But I did go yesterday and it was okay.
  • franzy
    franzy Posts: 259
    Options
    I've been doing it for 2 weeks and let me tell you you do not have to know how to dance just try to follow them and trust me you'll will sweat your butt off and it'll be a workout. Once you get the hang of it you'll get better. Have fun trying it.

Franzy :laugh:
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I tried my first Zumba class Saturday morning and let me tell you ...I felt like I was flailing all over the place. It was fun, but challenging. I agree that it is more about keep moving and keep your heart rate up.

Good luck with your DVDs!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! OH yeh...I will look like a flapping crazy woman in the living room...lol!!! I appreciate all the comments! Feel free to add me as a friend. I will throw myself into keeping moving..no matter what it looks like. So beware of the flying elbow:laugh:
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    hello! i teach Zumba and let me say, all the above are correct. all that matters is that you are moving! there are no rules to Zumba other than have a good time. same as any other group fitness class, everyone feels like they have 2 left feet until you become familiar with the choreography and repetitions. i take other classes from other instructors and believe me, i'm in the same boat if i don't know the moves. we ALL screw up most of the time. my girls who take my classes faithfully will catch me doing something off beat or not the same way i usually do them and we laugh it off. you will find a lot of repetition and become comfy with the moves which will allow you to put more effort into your workouts. keep at it, keep trying and you'll find it get easier each time and more enjoyable!