New, Shy, Scared, and Alone

Options

Replies

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great reasons and goals! There really isn't any reason to be scared on this site. Most people are supportive. The great thing is if you do run across someone that doesn't blend well with you, then you can just delete them. We are here to support and encourage. Life is crazy and this is support for new habits. You can do this if you want. Sent a friend request. Good luck!
  • eattherude
    eattherude Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Heya :)

Just letting you know if you need to talk to anyone I'm right here...I've just come back to MFP after a few months absence and found all the friends I made last time have vanished so I'm kind of in the same boat as you at the moment...if you want someone to chat to/rant at etc I'm right here

also good luck with your goal! :)
  • FarFromEmbrace
    Options
    Hola! We have the same problem and I'm still in high school. So please don't feel alone, I would love to help you through this journey. :) and don't have a low self esteem although I do, you seem really smart and nice, bye! And you can totally talk to me
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm new, very shy, scared, and starting alone in my goals. I'm not entirely new to the scene of developing a healthy lifestyle; I study nutrition at a university, but I'm still learning the basics of fitness.

I'm a very shy person and because of this I don't talk to many people where I live (or know anyone) because I've been bullied for most of my life. So I have a fairly low self esteem at times; more so in a public situations. I've decided to try taking the solo route for a bit and avoiding public fitness centers and classes for the time being (bad experiences); focusing on physical activity at home to start. In addition, I plan to use MyFitnessPal as a resource to aid me and maybe find connections/support.

I currently weigh 191 lbs at 5'5". My goal is to eventually lose 50 lbs and then eventually a bit more, as well as develop more lean muscle.

I'm open to talking with anyone, I'm basically an open book, and I'm a great listener and open to new ideas and advice.

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Decrease Risk of DM and CVD
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem
    -Learn to Teach/Help Others

the first thing to know about MFP is that you'll find people on the public forums advocating some silly "rules" for you to follow (such as eating "clean", avoiding "processed/refined sugars", etc.) in order to lose weight. don't listen to any of those rules. although i'm sure most of those folks mean well, they are badly misinformed and don't realize that they are not seeing the forest through the trees.

all you need to understand to get started is to understand what your BMR/TDEE are, how to calculate them, how to choose a proper calorie deficit from TDEE, and how to set your macros (i only track fats and protein, but others also track fiber, sodium, etc.). once you've got those basics down, it's just a matter of logging everything honestly and accurately. meet your goals more days than not and the weight will start to come off.

start your education here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

i'd also suggest joining that group and reading everything in there. IMHO, it's the best "derp free zone" on this whole site.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm new, very shy, scared, and starting alone in my goals. I'm not entirely new to the scene of developing a healthy lifestyle; I study nutrition at a university, but I'm still learning the basics of fitness.

I'm a very shy person and because of this I don't talk to many people where I live (or know anyone) because I've been bullied for most of my life. So I have a fairly low self esteem at times; more so in a public situations. I've decided to try taking the solo route for a bit and avoiding public fitness centers and classes for the time being (bad experiences); focusing on physical activity at home to start. In addition, I plan to use MyFitnessPal as a resource to aid me and maybe find connections/support.

I currently weigh 191 lbs at 5'5". My goal is to eventually lose 50 lbs and then eventually a bit more, as well as develop more lean muscle.

I'm open to talking with anyone, I'm basically an open book, and I'm a great listener and open to new ideas and advice.

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem

the first thing to know about MFP is that you'll find people on here advocating some silly "rules" for you to follow (such as eating "clean", avoiding "processed sugars", etc.) to lose weight. don't listen to any of those rules. although i'm sure most of those folks mean well, they are badly misinformed and don't realize that they are not seeing the forest through the trees.

all you need to understand to get started is to understand what your BMR/TDEE are, how to calculate them, how to choose a proper calorie deficit from TDEE, and how to set your macros (i only track fats and protein, but others also track fiber, sodium, etc.). once you've got those basics down, it's just a matter of logging everything honestly and accurately. meet your goals more days than not and the weight will start to come off.

i'd also suggest joining that group and reading everything in there. IMHO, it's the best "derp free zone" on this whole site.

This site can be a sea of noise sometimes.

Please take the above poster's advice. He is correct.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem

the first thing to know about MFP is that you'll find people on here advocating some silly "rules" for you to follow (such as eating "clean", avoiding "processed sugars", etc.) to lose weight. don't listen to any of those rules. although i'm sure most of those folks mean well, they are badly misinformed and don't realize that they are not seeing the forest through the trees.

Please listen to the delicious thing lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem

Agreed on all counts.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! There are a lot of us who are going at this alone in the real world but have a great support base on here. If you do a search for cosplay, there are several threads, and I think there's also a group (in the blue bar above, go to "Groups" and search for cosplay). There you'll find lots of people who share your interests :)

Good luck in meeting your goals! :)
  • wdwmindy
    Options
    Welcome! I too am on my journey alone in the real world. I dislike group settings and avoid gyms so I use exercise video games and I do a decent amount of walking (in my house and on hiking trails). I use a Fitbit Zip to calculate calories burned and MFP to keep track of calories eaten. You can do this!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I can relate to being shy and to being bullied in the past. I don't have any real support from my family on this journey, but this site is helping me so much. I know it will help you, too.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem

Agreed on all counts.

The woman above knows what she is talking about.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    <<snipped>>

Hi - What the above poster said... ^^^

When I finally understood what BMR/TDEE was all about - yes.. .it is tough at first. It made all the difference in the world.

Also..there are many good groups here you can browse. Also.. I try to read as many success stories because they are positive.

To be honest there are so many ways to do it. People here will be fanatic about their approach... step back, read, learn and you will find a good way! Good luck :smile:
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    NEW ...... HEYYYYY Welcome to MFP , SHY ..... U don't need to be shy here :) , SCARED ....... NAHHHH your in your own comforts on here don't need to be scared :) and ALONE......... Definitely NOT were all here to help[ each other no-one is ever alone unless they choose to be , YOU HAVE ONE LIFE LIVE IT TO THE MAX , GEt up in the morning and look in the mirror and tell yourself "I CAN DO THIS" "I FEEL GREAT" "I LOOK GOOD" and if you feel a plank you aint shouting it loud enough !!!!! Now go to a mirror and try it ! Add me if u wish im not a total nutter just 99% :)

This !! This is a great place for support and advice and sometimes just goofing off! I have met the most amazing supportive people here and gotten a lot of great advice and so will you :) I did not use the community aspect of the site until recently even though I was on here from the beginning of the year and it is a lot of fun and encouragement. If you are on MFP you are never alone :) Good luck with the weight loss !!
  • mel4bee
    mel4bee Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

~Natalie

Reasons to Lose Weight:
    -Cosplay
    -Become a Role Model
    -Improve my Asthma
    -Heighten Self-Esteem

Hey, I used to have some problems with self esteem and shyness too. In fact I still have some issued but I've realised that it is part of who I am and I'm more accepting of myself. It helped me a lot and along the way I've made some life long friendship and a boyfriend that I adore. I can help you if you want. xo
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome to MFP! You can add me, I'm here everday. :flowerforyou:
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Natalie! I look forward to seeing you around the boards! Best wishes on all of your goals!
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you've had such horrible experiences with people. There's a lot of bad in this world unfortunately, and a lot of the time bad breed bad. The few of us who were raised properly and treat people with respect do exist though. You have to remember that when people bully you the only person who looks bad is them. It speaks to their character and theirs alone. Let that be a reason to feel better about yourself. How does another person's opinion actually physically or materially affect your life? It doesn't. Their opinion doesn't matter. Your opinion is the one that matters. Feel free to add me if you would like another friend and more encouragement. Good luck!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yes, sometimes there are snarky people who troll the threads, but 99% of the folks on here are super awesome! That being said, you do get out of it what you put into it, so start logging and start making MFP friends and you will find success at your own pace and within your comfort zone:flowerforyou:
  • dkrudop
    dkrudop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    it's a cool place..good folks. good chat, lots of encouragement........just holler when you need some good words!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a great life long journey of healthy living :)