Having trouble gaining weight?

Options
Hi everyone. is anyone else having trouble gaining weight? I am 6'1", 180 lbs. I am lifting 6 days a week, and I run .5 miles to the gym and from the gym. I am eating over 3000 calories a day, but I haven't seen the scale move (besides gaining 2 lbs of water weight from starting to take creatine, and that was over a month ago)

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I don't know if I can reasonably eat more, but maybe I have to? Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Well, you deffo need more calories if you do weight lifting and you're running. Make sure you eat over 210g of protein as well.
    I personally consume roughly 3800 - 4000 calories, and still sometimes I hardly see any gains.
  • RibroastX
    RibroastX Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble gaining weight, it boils down to you are not eating more than you are burning daily. Try adding calorie dense shakes. Easy way to add calories without too much strain on your stomach to "force" food in.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you need 2 things... a jar of peanut butter and a spoon... though actually the spoon is optional....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    3000 cals to gain weight really isn't that much given your routine. Find a way to get more cals.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    you need 2 things... a jar of peanut butter and a spoon... though actually the spoon is optional....

I really wish gaining weight were my goal..... :-)
  • Dewhirst04
    Options
    Protein protein and more protein ... Gaining weight is based a lot on diet. Are you haveing protein after every workout? Protein shakes or a protein bar works and also you have to eat alot more cals than you are lucky for you protein is healthy and important for bulking up and hich in cal. Are you taking any supplements? Like creatine it will help you gain weight if you use it right ...the only down fall to it is once you stop taking it and working out you will drop like crazy
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble gaining weight, it boils down to you are not eating more than you are burning daily. Try adding calorie dense shakes. Easy way to add calories without too much strain on your stomach to "force" food in.

jar + spoon + ice cream?

yes PLEASE and thank you!!!
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I am eating a decent amount of protein, though I probably should eat more. I'm currently eating around 130-200 grams per day (depends on what I eat and stuff, obviously). I thought 3k would be enough, it SOUNDS like so much. Guess I will have to make more of my patented chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, banana shakes. Oh darn, an excuse to drink more of those? Twist my arm why don't ya?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    there's a good recipe for easy protein peanut butter cups floating around too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I am eating a decent amount of protein, though I probably should eat more. I'm currently eating around 130-200 grams per day (depends on what I eat and stuff, obviously). I thought 3k would be enough, it SOUNDS like so much. Guess I will have to make more of my patented chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, banana shakes. Oh darn, an excuse to drink more of those? Twist my arm why don't ya?

Given you stats and routine, 3000 is probably pretty much on maintenance. I'm 5'10" and oldish and 184 lbs and I maintain around 2700 - 2800 and that's just with lifting a few times per week and doing a few 10 - 15 mile maintenance rides per week and some walking...when I'm in racing season, it's even more. To put on a decent bulk I need to be around 3000 - 3200 calories per day.
  • cherbellisario
    Options
    Do the mindless eating trick or the see-eat trick. So basically, everything your eyes advert to more than 3 secs you'll have to eat some of them. Do this for 5 days and see the results. If you're gaining too much weight (which isn't the issue though) thrn stop. Mindless eating is just feed any craving yoir brain tells you which includes short cravings like if you thought of the tub of ice cream behind your fridge but not actually DESPERATE FOR it but wouldn't mind eating them, eatz
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Just add 200 calories and give it another one to two weeks. If you don't gain, repeat.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan! I guess more food it is, then see the results.
  • DEUS
    DEUS Posts: 4
    Options
    Carbs, Carbs and more Carbs....
  • scimitarslash
    scimitarslash Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but so you do weigthed workouts six days a week? If so that may be your problem, you may not be giving your muscles enough time to repair, and therefore grow. you can switch off upper body and lower body on consecutive days but at some point you need at least two days of to let your body recover, muscle growth formula Fuel+weights+rest= muscle gain rest is just as important as everythig else.
    Best of luck
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Eat some peanut butter out of the jar man.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but so you do weigthed workouts six days a week? If so that may be your problem, you may not be giving your muscles enough time to repair, and therefore grow. you can switch off upper body and lower body on consecutive days but at some point you need at least two days of to let your body recover, muscle growth formula Fuel+weights+rest= muscle gain rest is just as important as everythig else.
    Best of luck
    Agree with this. Another routine to look into is Icecream Fitness (ICF) 5x5.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    An easy way to add calories without stuffing your face and feeling full all the time is to eat lots of fatty stuff. I have an *kitten* load of cashew nuts, cheese and peanut butter everyday. Can't agree more with the people saying to chug the peanut butter. Also coconut oil, avocados, almonds or just a massive great pizza. Get eating some fat!
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out a couple of training days and maybe even back off on some of the running. If not, adding more calories might be your only way forward.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    To gain weight you have to be at a calorie surplus. Most will recommend somewhere btwn 300-500 cals more then you burn in a given day. That 1 mile run isnt burning that much but it is a burn. Also what kind of weight training are you doing? Is it more of a circuit type, body building, strength? Those all play a role in trying to gain. Recovery time is also a key. 6 days a week is a lot... maybe cut it down by a day or two. Personally when I am on a gain 4x's a week max is what I do... usually it is only 3x's a week though.