Why am I not losing Weight?!!!!

Options
nm212
nm212 Posts: 570 Member
I need to lose 15-20 lbs and I've been working out every day and eating 1200 cal a day, sometimes more if I worked out alot, but usually eat less . Why am I not losing weight?!!!!!

Replies

• Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the exact same thing. It's frustrating :( Be prepared for people to say you need a food scale....I did and its still not working lol. I'm not giving up but at the same time I'm going to stop being so hard on myself. I've been obsessing over it. How long have you been at it?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    How long have your been at it? Opening your diary would help as well. How accurate are you logging?
  • whitech
    Options
    Try avoiding food combinations - really gave me a kick start!
  • nm212
    Options
    Well, I've been seriously doing this for a month now. I lost 2 lbs in the beginning and have not been able to lose since. I've been working out ALOT more though, so maybe I'm building more muscle? I still want to lose the weight though. I'm supposed to be 135 for my height and I'm 153 right now. :(((
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Open up your diaries and we could tell you.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    You're not building muscle but if you've upped exercise recently, you could be retaining water for muscle repair. Make sure you're drinking lots of water. That's helped me. :)
  • OneThrone
    OneThrone Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm having my own struggles, but just as a word of encouragement, you will see the results of your hard work. Just don't give up. Also, what has helped for me is drinking more water and lowering my carb intake per meal to no more than 35 per meal and no more than 15 carbs for a snack, total no more than 100 carbs per day. There is also a great nutrition website through an organization dedicated to health and wellness called Nutritional Weight and Wellness. They have articles, recipes, and podcast about all kinds of things to help with nutrition, wellness and weightloss. http://www.weightandwellness.com/

No fads, everything is based on extensive research by scientists, nutritionists and doctors.
  • nm212
    Options
    Hmm thanks. How do I open up my diary?
  • nm212
    Options
    Wow thanks One Throne. I will check it out. I do eat alot of carbs...been trying to cut back on that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15-20 lbs and I've been working out every day and eating 1200 cal a day, sometimes more if I worked out alot, but usually eat less . Why am I not losing weight?!!!!!

You are at the absolute lowest calorie value that MFP will give you...so eating less than that is a bad idea.

Look up your BMR (basal metabolic rate) ....these are the calories your body would use if you staying in bed all day....unless you are extremely petite your BMR is above 1200. Which means your body is likely using muscle mass for fuel.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html

MFP gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise....so you are expected to eat those calories back. Again, an extra large calorie deficit will have you losing fat+muscle.

Unless you are "guesstimating" your portions....you are likely eating too little....and your body is trying to hold onto every calorie it can get. Try eating back a portion of your exercise calories (calorie burns can be "generous"). Start with 50% of exercise calories & see if you don't start losing.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm same age, same weight, same problem. But I noticed that when I stopped focusing (and stressing!) on the weight and instead just made sure I was eating clean and exercising regularly (and not skimping out on it, I have to feel proud of the work I put in before I'm done) then the weight seems to start coming off. It's not nearly as fast as it was in the beginning, but as long as you don't give up you'll eventually get there.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    Settings> Diary Settings should give you the option to make it public.

If youre logging accurately and honestly, including condiments, etc. then I would think it's water retention and daily flux. How often do you weigh and when? I typically weigh once a week in the morning.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been seriously doing this for a month now. I lost 2 lbs in the beginning and have not been able to lose since. I've been working out ALOT more though, so maybe I'm building more muscle? I still want to lose the weight though. I'm supposed to be 135 for my height and I'm 153 right now. :(((

1/2 pound a week is good progress for someone that is close to goal. You are NOT building muscle on 1200 "gross" calories.....retaining water...maybe.

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    Go here ^^^ Read all the info and benefit.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    Go here ^^^ Read all the info and benefit.

+1. This group has helped me tremendously!
  • nm212
    Options
    Thank you Teabee . That's interesting. I didn't know that.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You should take body measurements! Once I didn't lose anything for nearly three weeks, I got so frustrated! When I finally got around to checking my measurements, I had lost over an inch off my waist and an inch off of each thigh.

Your weight isn't the be-all end-all description of your fitness. :)
  • nm212
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are great!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Make sure you selected 0.5 lbs or 1.0 lb (at the most) for your weekly weight loss goal. Also, eat about 50% of your exercise calories so that you are not further increasing the deficit beyond your intended goal. Exercise and dieting place stress on the body. And for those with not much to lose, the extra water retention that results from excessive stress can mask fat loss.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Thanks! You guys are great!

Use the mirror, and measurements to track your weight loss.