EATING CALORIES BURNED DURING WORKOUT?

Options
HOW COME THE CALORIES I BURNED DURING MY WORKOUT ARE ADDED IN TO MY DAILY CALORIE INTAKE? EX: I'M ALLOTTED 1500 CALORIES PER DAY. I BURN 300 CALORIES ON THE ELLIPTICAL. WHEN I ADD MY EXERCISE TO MY JOURNAL, MY CALORIE INTAKE INCREASES TO 1800. WHY IS THAT?

Replies

• cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to eat your exercise calories
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is one of the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Read all of the links and you might then understand why we eat our exercise calories. I suggest reading all of the sticky threads so you understand what this site is for and how it will help you. good luck with your journey!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • lvsnick
    lvsnick Posts: 22
    Options
    Since the beginning (going on 9weeks) I have always eaten most of my calories that I burned during excercise I try to leave 100-200 calories just incase I mis-calculated something but Ive done very well eating the majority and you should find most members of MFP will tell you the same I asked the same question when I started. Good Luck!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    PLEASE STOP YELLING AT US. the reason MFP adds the calories back is that you daily intake on MFP already has a caloric deficit built in based on your goal loss per week. In order to keep that deficit at your goal amount it has to add back the additional calories you burned off. if your goal is 1500 and you exercise for 300 it is as if you only consumed 1200 (1500-300) In order to keep you at 1500 calories Net you would have to consume 1800 to net the 1500(1500+300-300). If you don't eat them back your deficit will be larger and you may not have enough fuel to get through the day or to complete exercise or to repair muscles after exercise. You also run the risk of having you metabolism slow down if the caloric deficit is too large over a period of time.
  • mable10
    mable10 Posts: 39
    Options
    well said Eric
  • woowoo927
    Options
    @ERICKIRB. THANKS A LOT. YOU REALLY MADE THAT SIMPLE FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND. I READ A FEW OF THE OTHER POST ON THE SAME SUBJECT AND IT JUST SEEMED TOO CONFUSING. APPRECIATE THE CLARIFICATION.!
  • kpfister
    Options
    Well said erickirb! I asked the same question earlier on this thread and didn't get this kind of answer. I was kinda frustrated that no one gave me a good answer why, they just said "eat em" LOL thank you for going into detail! :)