5K training - how fast?

Options
I am new to running at the end of week one I can run 2 miles in 30 min with a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down. How fast should I increase my distance in training for a 5K? Accoding to the C25K training schedule I am already at week 8.

Replies

• Micbou1
    Micbou1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try to download the app c25k. Couch to five k. Works well.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you can run 2 miles in 30 minutes, you can run a 5k. Personally, I would work on increasing distance during that 30 minutes. If you can eek out an extra 50 yards or so in that 30 minutes each time you run, before you know it, you'll be doing a 5k in 30 minutes.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just walk / run the last mile. Gradually decrease the walk cycle and increase the run until you are running the whole last mile. Or if you can currently run 2 miles without stopping you can just add .25 miles to the last run of the week for 4 weeks until you hit 3 miles.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Do you have more time? Do you have any injuries or soreness like shin splints or the like?

Either stick with the 30 minutes and go a bit faster/further each time until you get to 5k, or do the 5k in whatever time it takes you and then go faster each session which will reduce the time.

How fast you can do this depends on your strength, endurance, and lack of injuries. Go at the speed that is comfortable or just slightly faster. This will be faster each time.

ETA: Basically pick between the two above posters lol
  • _nguyen
    Options
    Have you tried going for the complete 3.1 miles? I surprised myself!

I am new to running also! One of my Oct goals are to run 3miles nonstop. I did my first run at the end of September at 0.73 miles nonstop. Beginning of October I ran a little over a mile nonstop and decided 3 miles by the end of the month was not far from reach.

Oct 6th GOAL: 2 miles nonstop RESULT: 3.4 miles ns. 5k time 38 mins
    Oct 13th GOAL: 5k nonstop. Focus on breathing. Improve time! RESULT: 3.2 miles ns. 5k time 36 mins. Improved by 2:13

I run only once per week. I've read that I should run more to train, but this is what works for my schedule. I plan on improving each run time by 30 seconds to 1 minute each. When I am closer to 25 mins (hopefully January) I want to run my first 5k race. Good luck to you! If you need someone to keep you motivated on your runs, be sure to add me and we'll help each other achieve our goals.

50943420.png
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    Agree with someone above, if you can run 2 miles in 30 minutes, you can run a 5k. You aren't going to be the first of the pack to finish but that's not what you are shooting for I would assume.

Also, if you've never ran a race before, let me tell you that you'll uncontrollably run faster than you normally do, at least I always do. Not sure if it's the atmosphere or what, but I notoriously kill my training times when it actually comes to the race.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yep - just keep running until you reach the 3.1 mile mark - don't worry about the pace. Then, once you've convinced yourself that you can run 5k (and if you can run 3k, you can run 5k), then just work on doing it again and again, running it a little bit faster each time...
  • icywindow
    icywindow Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    How often are you running? If you are not running 3 times or more a week, then build up to running 3x per week. To challenge your aerobic systems, one of the runs that you do per week should be longer than the other runs. One way to do that would be 5 minute warm up, 5 minute cool down, and 3 12 minute medium effort run/2-3 minute walk intervals and every week increase the times by 1 minute for the run.portion until you make it up to 20 minutes running/2-3 minutes walking.

Other suggestions: add walking lunges to your warm up. They will help you to warm up your legs and core and give you some extra bounce in your step when running. Add side gallops to your warm up. They work the weaker muscles in your butt and help you to run with less effort. If you are not already doing so, stretch afterwards.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Already good suggestions. As said, if you're already doing 2 miles in 30 minutes, you can do a 5k. The main thing is to just keep running a little farther or longer each week. You'll get faster with time, as you build endurance. Depending on your schedule, either add 5-10 more minutes to your runs or choose a new, slightly longer distance each time. Don't add more than 10% a week, though, as that tempts injury (too much too soon).

You may want to look into a 5k to 10k training app or podcast, since you've already "graduated" from the C25K one.
  • brunotolosa
    Options
    I normally warm up with a pasta rolling pin. I roll it all over my legs to stimulate the blood flow and then I start with a very light jog for 5-15 minutes depending on the occasion. If it's for a RACE and I want to focus on my time, I would actually jog for 20 minutes and then get to the starting line so I'm ready to go at a fast pace. If it is for a training run I would stick to 5 min warm up or so. Please do not see this as my prescription- this is how I personally do as it works well for ME.

What I would advise as well is to AVOID treadmills.. and when you're running outside do NOT worry about other runners going past you. I used to feel very demoralised in my early days when someone faster went past me and I would hit the wall by trying to overtake them.

Run for yourself and try to get as much pleasure when you're out pounding on the road- with dedication, passion and discipline!

Best of luck!