Loose Skin for weight loss 100+ lbs

Options
Hey all- I'm trying to lose 100+ lbs, and I have stretch marks...you name it.
But I'm also only 26- and I have been this overweight for about 4 years.

*Is there any chance that my stomach will shrink back, not saying I wont have stretch marks- but loose skin/saggy skin?
*Has anyone lost or know some one who has, and what were your/their experience?

Thank You!!

Replies

• Sarahcuda
    Options
    I am crossing my fingers that it isn't going to be an issue.... :)
  • Danicacub
    Danicacub Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the people that use weight training on here.. they get fantastic results!
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options

Have you seen anything so far with your weight loss?
  • sugarsugar16
    sugarsugar16 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same fear when I started. But then I came to realize that getting healthy and feeling good in the clothes that I wear - is so much greater of a feeling then fearing loose skin. Plus, I wear clothes everywhere - the only person who sees this body is my husband - and if he loved me overweight before, I'm sure loose skin isn't going to get in the way.
    Focus on losing fat first, then tone your muscles and your skin should follow! But if not, hey, you'll be healthy and happy of your efforst regardless!
    Keep it up!!! And if you need a buddy, I always welcome new friends! :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    don't worry focus on other more positive aspects
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible that your skin will shrink to fit your body, especially if you do lifting. It might take a little while after you reach your goal weight, or it might not.

It's also entirely possible that it won't. It depends on your body and your skin. You're young though, so that's on your side!
  • Sarahcuda
    Options

Have you seen anything so far with your weight loss?

I haven't lost enough for that to be an issue. I started out around 240-250 and am now at 207. The lowest I have been is 190. I am hoping to reach 140-150. So far no problems, but I still have a long way to go!

I am also lifting weights with my boyfriend, so I am hoping that that will help. (He had lost 70 lbs in a short time and has no loose skin, but is also a workout maniac!)
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    I do hope being younger will help things along... Its not that I don't want to lose weight in fear of loose skin..I just wonder what others have experienced
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    Good for you, and both of you!! My boy friend and I are also doing it together-
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I was also afraid of this when I started... I have lost 20 of my planned 100 and I moisturized my skin daily, and I have a soft brissel brush... I brush my skin every second day and I think it is helping... it gets the blood flowing.. Also exercise is very important for helping your skin shrink and tons of water also (min 2 litres a day)
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    I'm 26 also, and so hoping that will help if I do end up with any! So far I have none, having lost 100lb.. but I still wish to lose another 50/60lb, so fingers crossed.

The only tips I have ever read are: Moisturise, and Hydrate yourself, (drink lots, water preferably), but if it's going to happen, there's not much you can do. Better to be fit and healthy with a bit of loose skin, than overweight and unhealthy, anyway. :bigsmile:

Edited also to say, apparently skin will continue to change/shrink, for upto 2 years after you've finished losing weight/in maintenance.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about this, but like others, I came to realize, it does not matter. I am going to live longer with some loose skin versus the fat filled skin :happy:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I went from 365 to 240 and have a little loose skin in the stomach area. Skin doesn't seem to be an issue anywhere else though from what I can tell. Strength training has definitely helped in my opinion. My girlfriend has also lost over 100lbs but doesn't have as pronounced of an issue. In the end everyone is different and there are probably too many factors at play (how long you were overweight, how much, how you carry it, etc). Like most people have said just enjoy getting healthier, feeling better, and looking better. Even if you end up with a not so perfect body (whatever perfect is to you that is) you'll still be a million times better off.