Weight Training Advice

Options
Yesterday, I worked with a personal trainer for the first time to start adding some weight training to my routine. I do hardcore cardio 5-6 times a week, but have sort of stopped losing any weight, which leads me to believe I need to start some weight training to shake things up a little. My question is, how often should I be doing this? I worked on lower back, abs, and triceps yesterday (and am definitely feeling it today lol). Should I got back and do more of the same today, or should I give it a rest for another day? Or should I work some other body parts today? Also, he suggested that I take some sort of amino acid supplement to help my body recover, but I don't have a clue what the right kind would be. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Change your diet, not your exercise, to lose weight.

Exercise should be for strength, speed, cardiovascular health, etc. Diet is for weight control.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The trainer you worked with didn't give you a plan?

If not, don't go back to him/her.

First, don't work the same body parts two days in a row.

Secondly, you'd be best off with a full-body routine, since you're a new lifter. Check out StrongLifts or Starting Strength.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I do mostly full body compound moves (deadlifts, squats, standing overhead presses, etc) and I do it 2-3 times a week. When I was lifting a split program (when you focus on different body parts on different days), I lifted 4 times a week.

Bottom line is listen to your body. If you're new to weight training and you're really sore today, I'd take today as a rest day then do a different set of body parts tomorrow, so that you have at least 2 days in between working those same muscles again. That being said, there's pretty much zero way to work your arms without working your triceps. Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about accessory lifts to focus on smaller muscles at all just yet. You'll work them just fine working other areas of your body.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I worked with a personal trainer for the first time to start adding some weight training to my routine. I do hardcore cardio 5-6 times a week, but have sort of stopped losing any weight, which leads me to believe I need to start some weight training to shake things up a little. My question is, how often should I be doing this? I worked on lower back, abs, and triceps yesterday (and am definitely feeling it today lol). Should I got back and do more of the same today, or should I give it a rest for another day? Or should I work some other body parts today? Also, he suggested that I take some sort of amino acid supplement to help my body recover, but I don't have a clue what the right kind would be. Any suggestions?

Oh my

/trainer has you do small muscle group isolation work
    /trainer explains nothing
    /trainer recommends supplementation immediately
    /trainer is terrible

Troberts is right on the money. Buy the book Starting Strength if you want solid beginner weight lifting advice. But if you are looking to lose WEIGHT, jackson is on the money. That happens on the intake side.
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    New trainer for sure.

There is NOTHING WRONG with working to build muscle and try to lose weight at the same time.
    Based on what little I know, (information given to me by trainers) you shouldn't work out the same parts of your body multiple days in a row especially if you are pushing your limits to increase muscle mass. Even if you are doing circuit training, you should have an off day in between workouts.

Some people swear by the supplements, but I know for me, at this point in my journey (I have only been lifting for a month now), it is not worth the money at this point in my journey.

Best of luck! :)
  • roseeerickson
    roseeerickson Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to do strength training at least two times a week. But you should NEVER work on the same muscle group the next day. Your muscles need the recovery time to grow and rebuild. That's how they actually get bigger and stronger. If you work the same muscle groups every day you are also setting yourself up for injury and pain. HOWEVER, if you want to weight train every day, try working your upper body one day, your abs the next, and your lower body the day after. Keep cycling through. I'd talk to your trainer though for additional advice if you are still unsure or want more tips.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    On a side note... was this trainer session free, or did you have to pay for it?

Either way, you should be asking these question of the trainer so you understand what he/she is recommending and why. If you paid for it, then you should DEFINITELY be getting more complete advice.
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Actually, the session was free; taken through my gym. Of course, it was also a chance for him to sell me his services for a period of time moving forward, but I didn't buy a package.
    I do realize that diet is the key to weight loss, and that's what I've been working on, along with the cardio. But from all the reading I've done around here, I have gleaned that in order to keep my body from becoming too comfortable with the status quo, doing some weight training is advisable, which is why I've taken this step. I'm not trying to actually lose weight with the weight training, I'm trying to learn how to tone and firm the parts of me which have been rather, um, shapeless and flabby for quite some time, in hopes that the added lean muscle mass will help me overall.
    I appreciate the advice regarding how often to work the same muscle groups and how to build some endurance. I kind of figured the trainer might have been a little too vague regarding supplements and such, which is why I came here to see if I could get some more ideas/advice.
    I'm thinking I'll likely take this slow, as I AM sore today, and I don't want to hurt anything. I also think I'll begin looking for another trainer while I'm at it.
    Thank you all for the advice and input. :)
  • BigJohnJ
    Options
    Dgadd17, stick with a full body routine doing compound movement exercises (mentioned previously in this thread) 2 or 3 times a week making sure you get a day of rest inbetween lifting days. These types of exercises-done with strict form and performing each set to failure, as heavy as you can-will provide the most overall benefit to all of your muscles and help you to reach your goals.