Does anyone here Suffer from Hypothyroidism???

Options
I suffer from Hypothyroidism and I am always so tired and run down from it...I always feel DRAINED!!!!
This makes it really hard for me to work out, but I do try to push myself, and trying to drop a pound takes me Forever. I just wanted to see if anyone here suffers from the same problem and what if any advice could you give me to help me to drop some of this weight.
What foods do you eat, or what work outs you may do. Any advice will be helpful.
I'm sick of being stuck in the same area!! I do go to the gym 3-4 times per week for about 45min to 1hour

Replies

• mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes, I recommend doing a search as there are some previous topics regarding various types of hypothyroidism. I personally have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and as a result my doctor put me on an extremely strict diet. Different people do well with different diets. My doctor said a lot of people with hypothyroidism are also gluten sensitive and/or iodine sensitive. You'll need to experiment with what works for you.

My diet has definitely cleared my head and given me lots of energy. It includes: lean meats, fruits and vegetables (except leafy greens like spinach and kale). No grains, soy/legumes, dairy, eggs, fish or nuts.

Good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Yes lots of us here. It is possible to lose but slow. I have found that when I workout it picks up my energy levels. I also eat brazil nuts almost every day the selenium is supposed to help. I have also increase my protein to 25% and decreased my carbs to 45% which seems to have helped. Good Luck!
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year, one and a half months after I started working out, I began to feel dreadfully tired. Working out was a monumental challenge. But, I pushed through it and managed to lose weight. After one month of struggling with that, I visited my doctor and he found I had very low thyroid activity. That came as a surprise to me because, only five years ago, my problem was hyperthyroidism.

In any case, he prescribed Synthroid (levothyroxine sodium) tablets for me to take. And, boy! Did that make a difference. In a week's time, I felt like a different person altogether. And, I continued to lose weight.

Have you not been given medication to combat your hypothyroidism? Or, are you not responding to medication?