End of first month ...quick question

Options
Hello

Backrgound: MFP suggested i stay under 1700 cals for me to lose 2 lbs a week....the last one month i have managed to do this 5 days a week....1 have 2 cheat dinners that puts me anywhere from 2000 to 2500 cals (on those 2 days)....so in short.....i am somewhat sticking to a diet and my blood sugar is coming down!! and I think i have lost abt 5-6 lbs...

That said (please read this before you start responding) , I have had little or no exercise....between feeling tired because of the diet and between my lifestyle i have not had lifestyle
1) I DO KNOW that the best thing to do it exercise and diet
2) I am not debating (1 )...
3) I also read somewhere that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise....
4) My intention is to put on muscle as a I lose weight and I know exercise is important...
5) i am also told that after a point the body starts decomposing muscle instead of fat (is this true?)

Since this is the first month of my first month.....while i figure out how to get exercise during my busy week....i want to know if I am doing any irreparable damage to my body by just dieting and no exercise? (in terms of muscle...i happen to have a reasonable amount of msucle) ....If yes, Please educate me on what is irreparable?

-Shri

Replies

• shriderp
    Options
    hello....any one there???
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight but it's better to do some form of strength training to try to maintain as much lean body mass as you can. 1700 calories seems very low for an adult male so you might want to rethink using the 2 lb loss rate. It's hard to gain muscle while eating at a deficit but you can keep most of what you have by using it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can't really build muscle on a deficit, that's why it's pretty important to work out while you lose weight, to preserve what you have. But only strength training or weights will help with that anyway.
  • shriderp
    Options
    Francl
    I agree with you ...i am sorta aware of what you said...since i have eaten only 600 cals today and I have not much energy to repeat myself..could u please reread my question? My specific question is abt what is happening to my body right now in terms of damage ( as in muscle mass or whatever)? I do under stand that exercise is paramount...I also have valid reasons for not being able to do so....u dont have to convince me to exercise...i need to understand what happens if i am not able to do it..what are the damages going on ?
    -Shri
    You can't really build muscle on a deficit, that's why it's pretty important to work out while you lose weight, to preserve what you have. But only strength training or weights will help with that anyway.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You'll just lose muscle as well as fat (you typically lose muscle anyway). The main issue is that you can end up skinny fat, at a healthy weight but with way too much body fat for your weight, and your metabolism will be slower, because muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • ag27404
    ag27404 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You'll just lose muscle as well as fat (you typically lose muscle anyway). The main issue is that you can end up skinny fat, at a healthy weight but with way too much body fat for your weight, and your metabolism will be slower, because muscle burns more calories than fat.

I agree. I know you are busy - everyone is use, so start small. Find 10 minutes to take a walk around the block. Stand up while you are on a call at work. Take the stairs. Park further away from the store. Once you start to feel better and exercise you will be more motivated to work it into your schedule.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    In my experience exercise will actually help with your energy levels. I run ( outside when it is light, on the treadmill currently) at 5:30 each morning. Sucks for the first few days, then I feel more energetic and my body gets used to the wake up time.
  • shriderp
    Options
    Francl
    so basically i will end up lighter ...with lesser muscle and relatively more fat! Lets say I have another 6 months to go before I actually get a schedule that allows me to work out....meaning: I only diet for 6 months and then start exercising......is there a point where the muscle starts decaying very fast? or is it goign to be like a half and half loss (half muscle half fat)! I know this is not an exact science...but I like to know more if i can !!

Others
    Thanks for motivating me to exercise. i will factor what u have said into my schedule. i used to swim a mile 5 days a week for a year before i started dieting. I had a gym and a work schedule that allowed that...right now i am in a place where i cant do that...thats abt it!

-Shri

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some hand weights and start using them at home. Do squats, lunges, planks. You don't have to "exercise" to maintain lean body mass. Lifting is one of the best things you can do. If you can't think of how to use weights on your own there are tons of video's on Youtube.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is you will still lose weight providing you keep a deficit. I'd go with "on average over a week" but some people stick to it religiously each day.

It's easier with excercise, and it does help boost the metabolism - actually my doctor told me if I do more excercise I will feel less tired, and that in order to pull the 3 day shifts when he was training he did a tonne of excercise!

It's hard to build excercise into everyday life, especially now it's dark in the evenings. You could go for a little walk at lunch time, or get off the bus one stop earlier, that kind of thing. You could do the C25K (the NHS have a good series of pod-casts) although if you're very heavy and out of practise with the cardio I would recommend taking brisk walks first to get you going. Then there's pilates, which is great for you and you can do in the comfort of your own home, 15 mins here and there, fairly easy to build in.

The other thing it's worth remembering is that it's important to make time to look after yourself. You are worth it!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    My guess is
    You will lose muscle tone.
    You will lose fat.
    You will be a smaller person of what you currently are.
    1700 calories is prolly a little low, but I have not ran any numbers.

Will your weight loss result in your body using your muscles for the energy it needs?

My guess (just my view on things I have read) is not as much.
    Most of the energy will come from your fat......since you have plenty of that, your body will go there primarily for energy.....it is what the body was designed to do.
    So that is why I say you will just be a smaller you.....

I also agree with the other posters.....if you can, get some weight lifting in (would be my first choice over aerobic activity).
    May help with your energy levels.....
    We tend to feel more lethargic and lazy when we just sit on our butts......
    But when we get up and start moving, we get adrenaline pumping and that tends to wake us up.

Good luck mate.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    So I was reading in the AARR July 2009, pg 6

Alan noted that in the study (and he was confused by it), the calorie restricted groups (one did resistance training, the other didn't).....The resistance training group didn't show any advantage in LBM preservation compared to the other group who did no resistance training.

So worth noting.
  • shriderp
    Options
    This is interesting! Do u have the link to the actual paper?
    So I was reading in the AARR July 2009, pg 6

Alan noted that in the study (and he was confused by it), the calorie restricted groups (one did resistance training, the other didn't).....The resistance training group didn't show any advantage in LBM preservation compared to the other group who did no resistance training.

So worth noting.