Does holding my belly all day help to lose belly fat??

Options
13»

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    NOPE NOPE NOPE....You may do "some" toning BUT weight loss??? NOPE NOPE NOPE
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,373 Member
    Options
    My 10th grade health teacher told us that if we held our stomach in that it would help build a natural girdle.( Back then they wore those awful things...now they have Spanx.) She said that if you did it you did not need a girdle. I have been doing it all my life and as a former gymnast it helped to improve posture and core strength. Strong core eliminates future back issues that so many suffer. Opposing muscles need to be strong. Weak abdominal muscles puts a strain on the back muscles making them work harder. (Keep antagonistic muscles in balance. Its true with all our muscles.) It also provides balance and stability. And it will burn calories all day long because you are contracting those muscles. But as others said belly fat can not be spot reduced. Also most people are trying to lose the pooch below their naval.

There is a good book on belly fat. It is called "BellyFat Breakthrough! by Karlene Karst, R.D. She is a registered dietician and she talks about the dangers of belly fat and how to work to get rid of it. I have been using SafSlim for over a year now along with exercise and have found a reduction in my belly fat.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I was advised by a physio to keep my tummy muscled engaged whenever I was standing/walking. that doesn't mean sucking it in and doesn't mean restricting your breathing. she said it was the best thing for spinal health.

i'm inclined to agree.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The question was "will it help to lose belly fat?"

The answer, of course, would be no. It may have other benefits for posture, etc. but it just ain't going to make the fat go away.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The question was "will it help to lose belly fat?"

The answer, of course, would be no. It may have other benefits for posture, etc. but it just ain't going to make the fat go away.

This.

Also.. can I say that the cat on your avatar looks like my cat A LOT? Just saying.. off topic
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    If you hold ur belly with ur hands im sure you will lose ... it will keep u from getting your hands on food.:wink:

Haha that made me literally LOL
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Stomach Vacuum is an actual exercise for your inner abs. The six pack comes from your outer abs but, the inner abs help you have a flatter stomach. You shouldn't do it all day but, holding in your stomach for a couple of minutes at a time will help. I'm not a trainer but, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express a couple of weeks ago. :glasses:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    OK thank you so much everybody for the advice, l'll try too keep my belly sucked in all day, after all, the only thing l want is to have a flat belly.

If your belly stays flat this way then go ahead- you won't lose any fat but your muscles will get better at holding themselves in. I wouldn't recommend doing it all day though, that might over work them and get you super sore.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you hold ur belly with ur hands im sure you will lose ... it will keep u from getting your hands on food.:wink:

^^^^^^ This!!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This!!

I have to wonder what you could have possibly entered in the search function that caused you to find this old thread and bring it back to life???
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OK thank you so much everybody for the advice, l'll try too keep my belly sucked in all day, after all, the only thing l want is to have a flat belly.

What people are telling you is it will not give you a flat belly it will help your posture. Only diet and exercise will give you a flat belly and to do that it does take a lot of work. Work hard and you will be happy for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wish...I'd be frackin' ripped...
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options

^^^^^^ This!!

Thread Necromancy is frowned upon.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Shoulders back, tummy and buttocks in. Walk in a straight line, whilst balancing a book on your head.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    It will not help you lose fat, NOR will it improve your posture. It's a terrible habit that exacerbates stress. The posture thing is a misunderstanding perpetuated by a lot of pilates teachers, I'm afraid. Do not hold your belly in- use a quality diet and exercise plan, in that order. My faves are on my profile.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    OP, are you trolling? Because your other post topics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052046-i-can-t-suck-my-belly-button-in-while-exercising
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1064320-fat-caused-by-skinny-jeans

are just so seemingly......naive....that I am having a hard time believing you are in earnest and are serious.

How did I miss those jems.
  • HOPEPATRICK74
    HOPEPATRICK74 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    no but if you hold your breath all day you will lose weight....

And be in that pretty box 6 feet under.