Redefining Direction Once Goal Weight is Reached

Options
Hello All!

To those of you that met your goal weight but still wanted to work on the appearance of your body, how did you redefine your goal? I am at the point where I have reached my goal weight but I would still like to decrease my body fat percentage. I know HOW to do this - but I am having a difficult time creating a new goal.

I like goals - they keep me motivated. When I was losing weight, there was a certain sense of accomplishment when I would see the scale go down. Decreasing your body fat percentage can be a slow process and I do not have any way to measure exactly what my BF% is. I am guessing I am around 24%.

In terms of creating fitness goals, my routine is 2 days a week of judo and I am following Mark Laurens Your are Your Own Gym body weight program. I do not have access to a gym so I can't say "I want to be able to squat x amount of lbs." For judo, my goal is to constantly perfect my technique for a competition is September. I find it kind of hard to create a new goal with the body weight program other then getting through one program to move onto the next.

I am open to all suggestions and recommendations. Since I hit my goal a couple of weeks ago, I have kind of been unclear about what direction to head now.

Thanks!

Replies

• JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    give yourself a goal of gaining 0.5 pound a week and work heavily on muscle work, gaining muscle is the best goal you can set once you have reached your goal weight. You will stay lean but gradually tone up and nothing looks better than a women with muscle mass.

So as far as goal setting, it would be preferable if you could set weight lifting goals to really judge how much you are progressing in weights but setting visual goals works just as well, they just dont have numbers attached. Personally I love numbers!
  • JessiesGirls520
    Options
    That is my goal right now too. What I am doing is taking pictures of myself and I have been comparing them to see if I look more toned. I have an idea of what I want to look like so seeing the pictures helps me to see the progress I have made. Bodies fluctuate though. Even fitness models don't look like that ALL the time. You could also make your goal to consistently follow x-plan for y-number of days. That will give you a sense of accomplishment too.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

To those of you that met your goal weight but still wanted to work on the appearance of your body, how did you redefine your goal? I am at the point where I have reached my goal weight but I would still like to decrease my body fat percentage. I know HOW to do this - but I am having a difficult time creating a new goal.

I like goals - they keep me motivated. When I was losing weight, there was a certain sense of accomplishment when I would see the scale go down. Decreasing your body fat percentage can be a slow process and I do not have any way to measure exactly what my BF% is. I am guessing I am around 24%.

In terms of creating fitness goals, my routine is 2 days a week of judo and I am following Mark Laurens Your are Your Own Gym body weight program. I do not have access to a gym so I can't say "I want to be able to squat x amount of lbs." For judo, my goal is to constantly perfect my technique for a competition is September. I find it kind of hard to create a new goal with the body weight program other then getting through one program to move onto the next.

I am open to all suggestions and recommendations. Since I hit my goal a couple of weeks ago, I have kind of been unclear about what direction to head now.

Thanks!

I've done Mark's other book, Body by You, and I :heart: it! I'm planning on doing You Are Your Own Gym this fall :)

I've been at weight goal for a while and it is challenging to create new ones. Right now I'm focusing on changing my diet (to a whole foods, plant based one), and I'm also training for my first (and only lol) 5K, which is in October. After that we'll see what happens!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    @Jake - I like numbers too! I think that is why I kind of feel at loss right now. I know they say weight loss is not a linear process, but mine for the most part was. Based on my deficit for a week, I could pretty much predict what my weight would be the following week.

@Jessiesgirl - I think creating a time frame goal probably would be helpful. The body weight program is good because it breaks it down to 10 week programs. It may be helpful to create a goal of not missing a workout for 2 weeks and making a goal to not miss a workout in the whole 10 week program.

@SJV - I have to admit, my diet has been a bit "looser" since I hit my goal weight, which is a bad habit to get into. I have heard good things about the Body by You book - I love You are Your Own Gym.

Thanks all! I appreciate the replies.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    I agree with Mark that visual goals are excellent. You may not be a woman who wants to accrue a lot of muscle mass as he suggests, however. There's nothing wrong with that, and, that does not meet most women's sense of aesthetics. I often suggest the Visual Impact for Women system by Rusty Moore. I used his men's system (mostly) to get the results you see in my profile pic. For women (and men), his philosophy is lean and strong without the bulked up 'bodybuilder look'. You might want to switch over to that.