thoughts on stretch marks (woman/men)

Options
we all know that throughout life stretch marks are common whether youre growing, gaining/losing weight or pregnacy. the issue is even they are so common and a part of life it can destroy a persons self confidence. for instance i grew and gained weight and got stretch marks on my sides and inner thighs. now that im losing weight theyre developing on my stomach which is so discouraging because now im losing and getting more of this gross lines :(

so here is my question for you....do you have anything to diminish the effects of them, how do your cope with them and how do you "own" your body when your mind cant???????

Replies

• rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Palmer cocoa butter!!!
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since I had quite the prominent gut before I lost weight, I have noticeable stretch marks on my abdomen. I have a few on my arms as well, but less severe. I don't do anything about them. I see them as the scars of a hard-fought battle and a reflection of how far I've come.
  • Lotus1026
    Options
    Thats an awesome way of looking at it chris! never thought of it that way, thanks!
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have them on my stomach. They've been there for 20 years and are a part of me.

Look at it this way...people get tattoos to commemorate important times or experiences. Stretch marks are nature's tattoos. There was a time when I got very large and this was the result. They are a reminder of what happened then and what I never want to happen again. So I won't wear a bikini...whoop de doo!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few stretch marks on my arms...of course I have them on my belly as well, but the arm ones REALLY bother me. Until very recently, I had never worn a tank top in public. Now though, I just have to realize that they are not going away. I don't want to hide for the rest of the my life. I look at them as a reminder of where I've been, and they keep me from going back to that place I never want to be again. If anyone else has a problem with me wearing tank tops, they can kiss my butt.
  • mshellebean27
    Options
    I have 5 kids and the ones on my tummy are pretty bad. Loose skin/stretch marks. I have worked hard on my body and have even started to get abs. I love all my kids, but every time I look at them.. (My stretch marks) I feel bad. :( I guess it is no different than when women want to get better boobs. I want to fix my tummy, but it's $$$.. When I see them on others, I don't think a thing about them. I am my own enemy. I also wonder how others feel about them??
  • gotfatincollege89
    gotfatincollege89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I feel like a lot of people have them somewhere on their body . In my most recent bout of packing on the lbs, I grew a bunch on both love handles. It sucks, but they're also a reminder to treat my body better and to make a permanent lifestyle change, so I don't keep gaining back weight (and then some). I've been applying 100% raw shea butter to them everyday for a month but i haven't seen any change.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have lots and never really cared. I never think a thing when I see them on others. I had to actually figure out that it was something folks stress about or dislike greatly, lol :)

My cellulite, OTOH, I've been neurotic over before. I just try to ignore it and do what I can do that's healthy and fit. But if anyone ever hears of one of those lotions or whatever that works on that, hit me up! :D

edit: I have used a scar gel for scars I got from surgery, and it says it helps stretch marks. It's just that OTC one made with an ingredient from onions (Google it). The surgeon recommended it, so I thought I'd mention it. It does help scars, anyway.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Palmer cocoa butter!!!

I have to admit, this actually works. I buy the sticks and rub them in daily, I actually see a difference that is noticeable.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Well... I had stretch marks before I started this. The ones in my arms bothered me more.

Now I don't know if I have more stretch marks or they are really visible as I become smaller and they stayed the same.

I try to use cosmetic oils for moisturizing my body and for my inner thighs they worked like a charm (most stretches dissapeared or are less visible). I use all kinds of oils: jojoba, macadamia, cocoa, coconut, almond, etc.
    The ones in my arms are slowly approaching my skin tone.
    My biggest worry right now are the ones on my middle body... my belly is getting smaller and I have those `tiger `marks` on my sides and middle...
    Well... I rather have stretch marks than fat. I'm just trying my best to have good skin elasticity and I hope they will at least fade.
  • TripleRadiance275
    TripleRadiance275 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've come to love my pregnancy stretch marks. They are a reminder of my body's awesome capability to create life. I'm less thrilled with the ones on my arms, breasts and thighs but those ones are much less visible as I developed them in my early teens.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was very obese child and got most of my stretch marks at that time (between 6th and 8th grade). I have them on my arms, running from my armpits all the way to my elbows. On my breasts, going up about halfway on my chest. On my inner thighs, all the way down to the backs of my knees. I have them everywhere. And they aren't going anywhere. It is discouraging at times, but I would still rather be skinny with stretch marks than fat with stretch marks... or fat period. I have not discovered anything that effectively diminishes them. They have gotten lighter on their own over time.
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have faded stretch marks on my stomach from rapid weight gain 3 years ago when I drank heavily everyday and some from pregnancy.... I pay them no mind, really... as they have faded. Its just somethin Ive accepted. No biggie :)
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks on my tummy after pregnancy get definitely less noticeable with toned abs. I am still have several pounds to go, but on the days when I eat clean and my stomach flat, it is very hard to see them. But when my tummy getting flabby from bad carbs that I ate the night before, they pop up immediately. Just keep working on your body. When you have a lean, toned body, no one will notice little marks, people will see the bigger picture. And learn to love yourself! It is not a little stretch marks that makes us ugly, it is that excessive weight!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Mederma is great, a little pricey, but great. Keep in mind it does not perform miracles. It will help minimize the appearance of new stretch marks.

I have some stretch marks around the sides of my tummy. I never let that stop me from rocking a bikini when I was slender.

I will also echo on what others have said, I would rather be in shape with stretchmarks than grossly overweight and without.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    they are not stretch marks. they are tiger stripes and only strong people can see them as such :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have lots of them on my donk. My *kitten* kind of went from skinny 'looks like a boy still' to 'holy donk batman' seeminly overnight when I hit puberty. They are white and even though they are short, some are quite wide. I have had them for 30+ years and they really do not bother me at all. My cellulite however...now that is a different story!

You may be surprised at how many people have them. People always assume that it is only women who have had kids or people who were very overweight that have them, but there are many more that have them.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I have them on the insides of my elbows and armpits from growing so quickly.

I have some round my middle, but they're not as noticeable.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've been a yo yo dieter & got them on my knees, thighs & love handles from losing weight then gaining weight. I was super embarrassed & would never wear shorts, a bikini, etc. Then I had my daughter & have a ton on my stomach & boobs, along with the rest of them I had before. Since having my daughter they dont even bother me! I wear shorts, a one piece, tank tops, etc with no shame! I guess I'm in a different mind set now. If I could guess, I bet 9 out of 10 people have stretch marks, and there's no shame in that! I'm very proud in the weight that I've lost & want to be a good role model for my kiddos. I don't want my kids being as self conscious as I was.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Sorry to get into TMI territory, but I've noticed a very odd distribution of my stretch marks - they're all on my inner thigh, in the groinal area. None on my belly, which is shocking to me given how this is where most of my fat was (is), but they're prevalent enough on my inner thigh that when doctors inserted a catheter, they kept asking "so you've had this done before?" (I had not) since the stretch marks led them to believe I had.