Tips to stop mindless eating!

Options
HELP NEEDED URGENTLY!

I cannot stop mindless eating. Just like little bites to eat here and there but all things that add up and knock my calorie count off the chart. I'm on a 1300/1400 calorie diet and religiously stick to eating healthy foods but I'll pick at things - a square of chocolate here and there or bars and crisps - little things that all add. I'm just after other personal tips of how other people stop themselves, is it a mind thing? I drink 2/3l water a day and give myself a treat meal/day a week but like I said - it's the needless snacking! Hope this all makes sense?? Tips greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a mind thing. I have to re-mind myself that it might not show up in my diary, but it's eventually gonna show up on my butt/gut/thighs/whatever. If you're not going to log it, don't put it in your mouth. You can't have an accurate account of what you eat every day if you don't log it. Pre-logging my day helps me a lot with this.
  • teesfood
    Options
    I agree with Cupcake. Its a mental thing. I used to be the same way. Now I eat every 2 hours, so I'm never really hungry. Although, you're never really hungry when you're snacking either... Try sugar free gum and mints. They tend to last to the next small meal. Best of luck hun!
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For me, it is definitely a mind thing...boredom mostly. It is something that I am struggling with currently. Chewing gum has helped me break the habit before. It gives my mouth something to do without the calories.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For me, it is definitely a mind thing...boredom mostly. It is something that I am struggling with currently. Chewing gum has helped me break the habit before. It gives my mouth something to do without the calories.

Great idea! Last night, I was working on my computer and having a "snack". I had some taco dip and some tortilla chips. Next thing I know, I look down and half of the jar of dip is gone. A piece of gum would have kept my mouth busy. lol
  • laurehutch
    laurehutch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    By pre-logging, do you mean like setting out your day and sticking to it? I used to do that but just let it slip - I'll set out tomorrow now and stick to it. And thanks for all the gum tips - that's something I hadn't even thought about! Hopefully that'll crack down on it fingers crossed. It would be so gutting to lose the weight and them put it all straight back on again! Thanks guys :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    By pre-logging, do you mean like setting out your day and sticking to it? I used to do that but just let it slip - I'll set out tomorrow now and stick to it. And thanks for all the gum tips - that's something I hadn't even thought about! Hopefully that'll crack down on it fingers crossed. It would be so gutting to lose the weight and them put it all straight back on again! Thanks guys :)

Yes, I log everything I plan to eat for the day, then if something comes up and I end up going out, I can back out what I've logged and I know what I have left to work with.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! It has improved a lot though - I try not to keep stuff in my mouth that I can just snack on (peanut butter is a big one for me, sad!). And what I can portion out, I do - like I buy a big bag of almonds, and I immediately portion it out into serving sizes and put it in baggies. So I can't just grab a couple - I'll have to eat the whole bag, and I will have to log it. This is definitely more a psychological thing.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Out of sight, out of mind. Or at least, not in front of me = won't scarf it down. I try to keep snacks in the house to a minimum and when I can't, I put them up on the way highest shelf in the kitchen. Having things that aren't going to fall at eye level can really help.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Surrounding yourself with healthy snacks works wonders also. personally i prefer a few almonds to a chocolate bar, but I do find if I snack it is on what ever is close by, so keep the bad stuff in an inconvenient location and the healthy stuff in the open.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Water is also a great option, aside from gum. Keep a big water bottle near you all day, and just sip on that. It'll give you something mindless to do, plus it's super healthy!
  • hillbillythekid
    Options
    I do my best to not even keep those things in my house...if it's there, it's a temptation! I get two "goodies" a week, so I make them count! Or I tell myself "I would be happy eating this candybar...but I would be happier with myself if I didn't eat it at all." Mind games!
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Before you reach for those sweets or chips, ask yourself are you eating cause you are hungry or because you are bored?
    It helped me get in the mindset of eating with control
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    lots of the things suggested are things I do:

- move AWAY from the food - if your kitchen is downstairs - go upstairs - and STAY there.
    - chew a piece of gum.
    - I wear a retainer at night - after dinner, I brush my teeth and put my retainer in. Can't chew/eat food with my retainer in.
    - fill a big waterbottle with ice water - sip constantly.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I was working on my computer and having a "snack". I had some taco dip and some tortilla chips. Next thing I know, I look down and half of the jar of dip is gone. A piece of gum would have kept my mouth busy. lol

the packages/bags/containers don't leave my kitchen. If I want chips, I portion out one serving (lol ok sometimes 2) into a bowl, same with any dip, and bring that to the couch or wherever I'm snacking. When I'm done...I'm done.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    eatting at a table helps too not just on the go, at the couch. desk, ect.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I will buy myself one treat a week, at the moment it's a bag of sweet n salty popcorn, I can either make it last a few evenings or eat it in one go, but when it's gone it's gone, until next weeks treat.

Something else I try is distraction, if I paint my nails I can't pick at food for fear of smudging my nails, or I'll also go and brush my teeth, I don't want to eat after that, I also like to lock myself in the bathroom and treat myself to a nice relaxing facial.

Another thing to try is working out how long it will take to burn of the item you are about to eat, I think twice about eating a biscuit as I know it takes me 15mins on the rowing machine to burn just one biscuit.

Good luck.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually worse at night. Not that I'm always successful, but I try to just head to bed early. A little extra sleep is always a good thing :)
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't prelog your entire day, if you commit to prelogging before you put something in your mouth, at least that takes away a bit of of the "mindless" factor. You have to think about it, whether it's worth it or not. It does take action on your part. I even tried taking it a step further ... I bought an app called "meal snap" where you take a picture of your "meal" (or snack ). It keeps a photo food diary and even gives you calorie estimates based on the picture and description (I still logged in MFP, as it often wasn't that accurate, more just for fun for me on the calorie count). It did help me though, because again, I had to do it before I ate. It just wasn't worth it to get my phone and take a picture of a single piece of candy, and I didn't really want the photographic proof. I couldn't eat out of a bag, I had to have my portion presentable for the picture. I don't know that I'll do it every day, but it was a good thing for me to try.
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    To the op...my goodness nibbling is the reason I got where i am after I quit smoking. Packing on 30lbs despite diet and exercise. Nibbling is and has been the culprit, one day my hubby says " babe, maybe your a nibbler, maybe that's all it is" hmmm, Omg!!!! When I then became more conscience and aware actually paying attention to my handful of this and my smidgen of that; was adding too many calories into my day and the weight would not budge..now I log everything , I mean everything and its helping. So my dear i had/ have the same obstacles and its hard but can be done...good lucbk