New Found Love - Quinoa: Miracle Grain

Options
Hanging out at my sister's last night and discussing the benefits of different grains and proteins and such, I was introduced to my newest food love affair :love: :heart: . Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah). It has all the amino acids needed to be a complete protein, unlike many many grains which do not, and not only is it super good for you but also is really cute when it's done cooking because IT SPROUTS! :) Here's some more information about it:

History:

Quinoa originated in the Andean region of South America, where it has been an important food for 6,000 years (since about 3000 BCE) Its name is the Spanish spelling of the Quechua name. Quinoa is generally undemanding and altitude-hardy, so it can be easily cultivated in the Andes up to about 4,000 meters. Even so, it grows best in well-drained soils and requires a relatively long growing season.

The Incas, who held the crop to be sacred, referred to quinoa as chisaya mama or mother of all grains, and it was the Inca emperor who would traditionally sow the first seeds of the season using 'golden implements'. During the European conquest of South America quinoa was scorned by the Spanish colonists as food for Indians, and even actively suppressed, due to its status within indigenous non-Christian ceremonies. In fact, the conquistadors forbade quinoa cultivation for a time and the Incas were forced to grow corn instead :grumble: .

Nutritional Info:

Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain:heart: ; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein.

Quinoa's protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal ... similar to milk! :drinker:

Quinoa's protein is high in lysine, methionine and cystine. This makes it an excellent food to combine with, and boost the protein value of, other grains (which are low in lysine), or soy (which is low in methionine and cystine).

Quinoa can be substituted for almost any grain in almost any recipe. It looks and tastes great on its own, or in any dish from soup to salad. (Although I have personally found it to be very very bland. I added spices to it and a sprinkling of salt. It is very nutty in flavor but still VERY bland, better to be mixed with something unless you can handle the lack of flavor simply for the nutritional benefits.)

It is a 35 on the Glycemic Index and has a Glycemic Load of 18, for those who are watching that. :flowerforyou:

It is a high-iron food that raises the hematocrit, delivers more oxygen to the brain and improves memory and comprehension.

There are two different kinds. Traditional and Inca Red or Black. I prefer the Inca Red. It's prettier, has less calories, is lower in carbohydrates and has more fiber than the Traditional, however has 4mg more of Sodium than the Traditional has. Both have 6gms of protein per serving.

Traditional vs Inca Red & Black

Serving Size: Serving Size:
1/4 cup dry (42g) 1/4 cup dry (42g)
Nutrition Facts: Nutrition Facts:
Calories 172 Calories 163
Calories from Fat 25 Calories from Fat 23
Total Fat 2.8g Total Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 1mg Sodium 5mg
Carbohydrate 31g Carbohydrate 29g
Dietary Fiber 3g Dietary Fiber 4g
Soluble 36% Soluble 36%
In-Soluble 64% In-Soluble 64%
Sugars 3g Sugars 5g
Protein 6g Protein 6g

Glycemic Index: 35

This super food is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Specifically, it is a great source of folate, iron, magnesium and zinc. The fact that it has magnesium, copper and phosphorous means that quinoa is especially good for those that have migraine headaches, atherosclerosis and diabetes. When it comes to fueling up for exercise or dropping a few pounds, cooking quinoa really makes sense. Plus, it's GLUTEN FREE!

Here are some easy and simple recipes to get you started!

Quinoa and Veggies (From AllRecipes):

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa
3 cups water
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 green onions, chopped
Directions
Bring the quinoa, water, and 1 pinch of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Once done, drain a mesh strainer, and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, and corn; continue cooking until the pepper softens, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the cooked quinoa and green onions. Serve hot or cold.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Nutritional Information
Quinoa with Veggies
Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 281

Total Fat: 13g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 214mg
Total Carbs: 36.5g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1g
Protein: 6.8g

Spanish Style Quinoa:

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions
Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the quinoa, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Cook and stir 5 to 10 minutes until the onion is tender, and the quinoa has lightly toasted. Stir in the tomato sauce and water, then season with the chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes. Stir the quinoa occasionally as it cooks.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 126 | Total Fat: 4.9g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Hope you all like this as much as I do!

<3 Katherine

Replies

• epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I'm glad someone likes it. I would love to donate an opened and half-empty box to your cause. :laugh:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to try quinoa, but it's SOOOO expensive and not an option at the moment. Does anyone know why it's so expensive, or where I can find it for less? I found a box at the grocery that had 8 servings in it for $4.59, which I cannot afford. Not when I can get a bag of brown rice with 16 servings in it for $2.59!
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    I understand how incredibly bland and flavorless it is but I have an easier time seeing the nutritional benefits outweighing the taste.
  • zackhanmom
    Options
    OOOOHHH! I love this stuff. They sell it at Costco in a 4-pack. Microwave bags with brown rice- nuke it for 90 seconds, it's great!! I usually throw some wild salmon in with it. Totally satisfying.
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    OOOOHHH! I love this stuff. They sell it at Costco in a 4-pack. Microwave bags with brown rice- nuke it for 90 seconds, it's great!! I usually throw some wild salmon in with it. Totally satisfying.
    I had no idea they had this at Costco. My sister told me she had a hard time finding it but eventually found it in bulk at WinCo and that they would definitely have it at Trader Joe's.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I understand how incredibly bland and flavorless it is but I have an easier time seeing the nutritional benefits outweighing the taste.

It wasn't the flavor, it was the sprouting and texture like styrofoam that got me. I saw a great recipe on here somewhere for a Curried Quinoa Salad. Someone who doesn't have an issue with texture might like this:

Curried Quinoa Salad
    4 servings

1 cup dry quinoa
    1 tsp curry powder
    4 green onions, 1/4" dice
    1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
    1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
    Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Bring 1¾ cup water and quinoa to a boil. Cover and simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve.

NUTRIENTS per 5-oz serving:
    Calories: 190
    Total Fat: 7 g
    Sat. Fat: 0 g
    Carbs: 29 g
    Fiber: 4 g
    Sugars: 6 g
    Protein: 6 g
    Sodium: 70 mg
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is like tofu, it really just tastes like whatever you put it in. I love it for its nutritional value.
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options

It wasn't the flavor, it was the sprouting and texture like styrofoam that got me. I saw a great recipe on here somewhere for a Curried Quinoa Salad.
    The sprouting is what made me totally fall in love hahahahaha. It's like a little surprise every time you cook it!
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I prepare equal parts Quinoa, TVP and Long-Grain Brown Rice (each according to preparation instructions), then mix together in large bowl.

Add:
    -pkg fried rice seasoning
    -cilantro
    -chopped green onions

Any veggies I may have lurking in the fridge.

I eat it like Fried rice, with a little soy sauce and chile paste. It's high in protein and fiber.

Has about 250 calories in 8 oz. 27 carbs. 9 grams fiber. 25 grams protein. And it quiets my hunger for rice.
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    My sister uses Quinoa all the time! I am having trouble finding it in the grocery stores here so next time I go to Costco I am buying some...so simple to add flavor or anything to it and it fills you up but seems light!

Thanks for all the info and recipes!
  • rebel14
    rebel14 Posts: 33
    Options
    Sounds great !!! makesme want to try it for the first time, thanks for sharing !!
  • coastalstorm25
    Options
    I looove quinoa...it is actually a fabulous protein especially if you are making a veggie salad ..instead of pasta use quinoa....Use it in the place of rice or I like to cook it in chicken broth to give it more flavor.
    I follow the "Eat right for your blood type diet" and for type O's this is perfect instead of rice .
    I know it is expensive..so it is always a treat for myself..no one else in the family gets to eat it..they don't like it anyways..more for me :)
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am one that tried it and found the texture not to my liking. Maybe I will play with it and see if I cant work on the texture issue.
    Ah ha..you have inspired me. :wink:
  • malpal0111
    malpal0111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally share your love. Try out this soup......it's become my ultimate comfort food!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ecuadorean-quinoa-and-vegetable-soup-101925
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like RoadDog's recipe idea. I am going to try that!

It might also be worth mentioning that quinoa grains are naturally covered with bitter tasting saponins (some commercial quinoa has been pretreated to remove these but the organic quinoa I bought locally was definitely in its natural state). A really good wash and a brief soak prior to cooking helps get rid of the nasty taste! I now taste the cooking water and if it is still bitter, I strain and rinse again.

Quinoa is quite an expensive grain but bulks up considerably in cooking and the nutritional benefits are worth it!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Now I'm dying to try it!
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    I looove quinoa...it is actually a fabulous protein especially if you are making a veggie salad ..instead of pasta use quinoa....Use it in the place of rice or I like to cook it in chicken broth to give it more flavor.
    I follow the "Eat right for your blood type diet" and for type O's this is perfect instead of rice .
    I know it is expensive..so it is always a treat for myself..no one else in the family gets to eat it..they don't like it anyways..more for me :)
    I have wanted to look into that diet for awhile now especially since I'm wondering if as an O+ I have a glucose intolerance and now I have developed a lactose sensitivity in the past couple months. Which totally sucks because I LOVE milk and ice cream but can't handle the stomach effects they have on me now. Are you O- or O+
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    I like RoadDog's recipe idea. I am going to try that!

It might also be worth mentioning that quinoa grains are naturally covered with bitter tasting saponins (some commercial quinoa has been pretreated to remove these but the organic quinoa I bought locally was definitely in its natural state). A really good wash and a brief soak prior to cooking helps get rid of the nasty taste! I now taste the cooking water and if it is still bitter, I strain and rinse again.

Quinoa is quite an expensive grain but bulks up considerably in cooking and the nutritional benefits are worth it!
    I didn't know that!!! Good heads up.
  • vonnegut2767
    Options
    I also recently discovered quinoa. Now I can't live without it. I cook mine in my rice cooker, 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups water with a bit of kosher salt and a bit of smoked paprika. Unreal.

I have no trouble finding it, I get it at the Bulk Barn, of course that's here in Canada (I just ride my dogsled to the store, and bring my delicious quinoa back to my igloo). I find it's also cheaper at the bulk barn, mostly because I can control how much I buy.
  • stefdye
    stefdye Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is my favorite grain. Thanks for the recipes. Also, try using it in place of bulghur wheat in Tabouli salad.