Why am I not losing Weight?!!!!

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy...It's all about what kind of carbs you eat and how much!

Yes yes yes - I agree - my goodness, I can see how what I've said has been interpreted in so many ways.

I was just pointing out to keep an eye on ratios and sugars. Stay within your daily limits. That's all.

Well that should be easy. I set my daily sugar limit to 160 grams!

Perfect.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy...It's all about what kind of carbs you eat and how much!

Yes yes yes - I agree - my goodness, I can see how what I've said has been interpreted in so many ways.

I was just pointing out to keep an eye on ratios and sugars. Stay within your daily limits. That's all.

Well that should be easy. I set my daily sugar limit to 160 grams!

Perfect.

I think now is an appropriate time to tell you you're my hero.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The Asian culture does not eat any bread or gluten products! They eat alot of white rice! They also eat alot of spicey food which speeds up your metabolism. I went to Thailand about 5 yrs ago and when I came back, I was 10 lbs lighter. They eat alot of vegetables, fish, and rice. It's that easy ...but it's all about resisting temptation here in the U.S.! It's not easy when unhealthy foods are so readily available and advertised everywhere you look.
    What on earth is "the Asian culture?"
  • jonnythan
    Options

I even reached my goal on 10/23. 50% of calories from cookies that day.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    With all the good and bad advice...obviously part of it is your own genetic make-up. However, I'd say, since you already know about good carbs, bad ones....measurements on the calorie burns and number of calories...just keep these things in mind...

...make sure you are giving your body enough rest in between workout days and sleep at night (this is when your body gets caught up)

...don't take in less than 1200, after your calorie deficit...1200 should be the bare minimum consumed (otherwise goes into starvation mode and stores fat)

...log regularly
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

I even reached my goal on 10/23. 50% of calories from cookies that day.

What kind of cookies?!:laugh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    good carbs, bad ones

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

insanity.jpg
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    The Asian culture does not eat any bread or gluten products! They eat alot of white rice! They also eat alot of spicey food which speeds up your metabolism. I went to Thailand about 5 yrs ago and when I came back, I was 10 lbs lighter. They eat alot of vegetables, fish, and rice. It's that easy ...but it's all about resisting temptation here in the U.S.! It's not easy when unhealthy foods are so readily available and advertised everywhere you look.

would assume Chinese Japanese Korean etc... no?
  • thefreestove
    Options
    actually your body processes simple and complex carbs the same
    the only difference between the two is when they are on the table in front of you

Whilst the processing of simple and complex carbs may be the same - the speed at which those sugars are released into your bloodstream are different, which is what impacts the insulin in your bloodstream. Insulin is a peptide hormone that is central to regulating carbohydrate and fat metabolism in the body. Insulin stops the use of fat as an energy source by inhibiting the release of glucagon. Too much high GI foods and too much consumption of sugars/carbs that spike insulin leads to impaired fat metabolism. It's all in the research.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    the only difference between the two is when they are on the table in front of you

Whilst the processing of simple and complex carbs may be the same - the speed at which those sugars are released into your bloodstream are different, which is what impacts the insulin in your bloodstream. Insulin is a peptide hormone that is central to regulating carbohydrate and fat metabolism in the body. Insulin stops the use of fat as an energy source by inhibiting the release of glucagon. Too much high GI foods and too much consumption of sugars/carbs that spike insulin leads to impaired fat metabolism. It's all in the research.

And the insulin spike has nothing whatsoever to do with weight loss.

Please, stop spouting this nonsense. Sugar is not the Demon Nutrient.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

would assume Chinese Japanese Korean etc... no?
    That's like 16 cultures right there.

Saying no Asian cultures eat bread or gluten is easily the most laughable thing I've read on MFP in ages.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Options

And the insulin spike has nothing whatsoever to do with weight loss.

Please, stop spouting this nonsense. Sugar is not the Demon Nutrient.

Ive learned it's really cauliflower.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    (otherwise goes into starvation mode and stores fat)

Absolutely not true. If you eat too few calories, your body will not store more fat.

I have met my bad advice quota for the day..... I'm out. Have fun...
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

What research? Glycemic index has to do with how quickly sugars are released into your bloodstream. Slow and steady is best for hunger satiety and avoids bonks for people like me who are hypoglycemic. But insulin does not block your body from being able to burn fat as an energy source.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym again 5 weeks ago and have been consistent for all 5 weeks ago- but up until 1 week ago I saw NOTHING on the scale and was getting discouraged.. but then I started studying and talking to trainers at the gym and they said because I am working out- I am replacing fat with muscle (which weigh the same) so I may not see anything on the scale. Here I am 5 weeks later, (and I've stopped weighing myself all together)- and I am 2 pant sizes down and my bras and shirts are even loose. It took 5 weeks to see this.. but my body is getting smaller! Don't focus on the scales - just eat clean and keep working.. your body will change!

Congratulations, you have found the lost city of gold of weight loss...please explain this magical process by which you converted fat into muscle...

Look again and you'll see that she said "REPLACING" not "CONVERTING" fat to muscle, which refers to the WEIGHT she sees on the scales (not a magical process where the body converts fat to muscle).

you can't build muscle in a caloric deficit...

Unless of course this person is a newbie, then they might have "newbie gains" but that only lasts about three months...
  • MityMax96
    Options

that would most likely only be an issue in the absence of fat, protein and fiber. which typically doesn't happen. when those are consumed it slows down the digestion so GI matters not.
    http://fitnfly.com/learn-about-food/nutrition-facts-2#_

I could prolly pull up more sources in need be. I recall reading the same thing in an issue of AARR
  • MityMax96
    Options
    actually your body processes simple and complex carbs the sam

What research? Glycemic index has to do with how quickly sugars are released into your bloodstream. Slow and steady is best for hunger satiety and avoids bonks for people like me who are hypoglycemic. But insulin does not block your body from being able to burn fat as an energy source.
    so does insulin have to do with carbs? because by my reading when carbs are ingested they are oxidized while fat gets stored

going by Lyle
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • MityMax96
    Options
    you are correct. insulin does not stop fat from being used for energy
    AARR Oct 2008

carb oxidation will hinder fat oxidation
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym again 5 weeks ago and have been consistent for all 5 weeks ago- but up until 1 week ago I saw NOTHING on the scale and was getting discouraged.. but then I started studying and talking to trainers at the gym and they said because I am working out- I am replacing fat with muscle (which weigh the same) so I may not see anything on the scale. Here I am 5 weeks later, (and I've stopped weighing myself all together)- and I am 2 pant sizes down and my bras and shirts are even loose. It took 5 weeks to see this.. but my body is getting smaller! Don't focus on the scales - just eat clean and keep working.. your body will change!

Congratulations, you have found the lost city of gold of weight loss...please explain this magical process by which you converted fat into muscle...

Look again and you'll see that she said "REPLACING" not "CONVERTING" fat to muscle, which refers to the WEIGHT she sees on the scales (not a magical process where the body converts fat to muscle).

John-Krasinski-no.gif

Please see my earlier reply....

Why do so many people think that gaining muscle is so easy? A professional body building female can MAYBE put on 1/2 a pound of muscle in a month..... If the scale stalls out, it's not muscle mass gain, sorry to burst that bubble.
  • ZoeyFlannigan
    Options
    I need to lose 15-20 lbs and I've been working out every day and eating 1200 cal a day, sometimes more if I worked out alot, but usually eat less . Why am I not losing weight?!!!!!

Might also have to do with what you eat since not all foods are taken in the same. I've been on the Paleo diet for about a month now. I feel amazing and losing weight. Check my blog out for recipes: http://discoverpaleo.blogspot.com/