HELP-About to give up!

Options
3 wks and no loss. 193 lbs and only 4'10. 35 yrs old. I normally workout from home-treadmill and some free weights on my arms and burn about 150-170 calories in 30-40 min. I get light headed etc..after anything over 30 min. I do and will cont to make Fri my days where I can splurge some. Meaning 1 cheat meal that day and IF I want to have a few drinks, that will be my only day to do so. With all that being said, I am not sure if I shld be eating less to lose this weight or eating more to lose this week. Was at 1500 cal for months when starting mfp and stopped losing, then dropped to 1300 cal and stopped loosing, then tried Tdee-20% method which was about 1700 cal for 3 mnths and lost the first 2 wks and then stopped. I am thinking (and I could be wrong) that because I do give myself a little leadway on Friday's, that during the week I need to be low. I am currently set at 1470 cal per mfp for lightly active because when I did it at desk job level it gave me 1320 cal when I did 1300 cal before I was sooo hungry! I also am trying out a new gym by my house and haven't joined just yet, but having more equipment has actually made my cal burns into more like 280-300 in 30-40 min instead of the 150-170 burned normally at home. I will cont to work out 3-5 times a wk but nothing strenuous for health reasons...Because I workout 4-5 times a week and will be burning about 250-300 cal each time, shld I be eating more than 1470..even with a cheat meal or day on Friday's? POSITIVE replies only please! I am serious about not knowing what my calories shld be anymore. I am scared to go back to eating the tdee-20% deficit because it is like 1700 a day and with me having a splurge on Friday's I think that is just too much :(

Replies

• RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i would stop the splurge on fridays. and also cut out alcohol if you drink. cut out 100%
    sometimes it's mental, and "splurging" on fridays might be making your mind think that you're on a diet. you need to live a healthy lifestyle to keep off the weight, so instead of considering yourself on a diet with the need to splurge or cheat, just modify your entire lifestyle to reflect the new weight/body you want. :smile:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Take a deep breath, don't worry, we'll sort it. What's your logging like - do you weigh everything? It might be an idea to log your cheat day too - still have the food but log every last little thing so you can work out what your weekly average calorie intake is.

TDEE - 20% tends to be easier than the MFP method and if you use that, you don't need to log exercise.

Keep going! :smile:
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I will not stop my splurge on Friday's. I am human so I want to have one day where I can splurge a little and have a drink if I want to. The drinks are not every Fri but 2 out of a month I may have 1 or 2 at the most recently which is a BIG improvement from my past.
    i would stop the splurge on fridays. and also cut out alcohol if you drink. cut out 100%
    sometimes it's mental, and "splurging" on fridays might be making your mind think that you're on a diet. you need to live a healthy lifestyle to keep off the weight, so instead of considering yourself on a diet with the need to splurge or cheat, just modify your entire lifestyle to reflect the new weight/body you want. :smile:
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    I loved tdee-20% method but at 1700 calories, that just seems like a lot of food for me when I have so much to lose.
    Hello!

Take a deep breath, don't worry, we'll sort it. What's your logging like - do you weigh everything? It might be an idea to log your cheat day too - still have the food but log every last little thing so you can work out what your weekly average calorie intake is.

TDEE - 20% tends to be easier than the MFP method and if you use that, you don't need to log exercise.

Keep going! :smile:
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    & for me, YES this is no form of a diet. it is definitely a lifestyle change & another reason why I feel once a week I can splurge sometimes.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything, every day, and use a food scale?
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Personally, i would stay at the 1500 calories. I punched in your numbers quick and come up with a tdee of 1900 and 1533 to lose (which is probably what you were at in the beginning).

I think you just need to be consistent. I don't do a cheat day (at least not on purpose but do have a lot of days where i go over) but i know for a lot of people it is needed. As long as you don't really overdo it you should be ok. I would try to stay around the 1900 on those days which is your tdee anyway and should not gain at that amount.

Just make sure you are measuring your foods to stay at the 1500 and keep working on your exercising. Gradually up your exercises as you are able and you should eventually start to lose again.

Good luck!
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    per http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

my tdee to maintain is 2196
    bmr is 1597
    tdee-20% is 1757

that is with me being 58 inches (4ft 10), 193 lbs, 1-3 hrs exercise a week, macros at 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat & 35 yrs old

So with tdee-20% I was told to eat over bmr of 1597 and close to tdee-20% of 1757 so that is why I chose 1700 in the past...with the amnt of weight I need to lose, I feel 1700 is just too much food...I cld be wrong..especially with a cheat day thrown in there.
  • Allup2Me78
    Options
    yes
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    If you're splurging on Fridays, you want your weekly average to be your TDEE-20%... So log your Fridays and decrease the other days to make up for it. Maybe eat a bit less than lightly active too... 3-5 workouts of 150-170 calories might not even be considered lightly active.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If you're splurging on Fridays, you want your weekly average to be your TDEE-20%... So log your Fridays and decrease the other days to make up for it. Maybe eat a bit less than lightly active too... 3-5 workouts of 150-170 calories might not even be considered lightly active.

This. I find I don't need cheat days BECAUSE I eat TDEE - 15-20% and follow my weekly average rather than stressing over my daily. I'm over some days and under others, but my week averges out to my goal. it's much less restrictive and (for me) more successful. If you eat 1600 calories during the week, that will give you 2300 calories on Friday to play with. Surely that is enough for a "splurge".
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out your splurges ... with alcohol, just drink smart: vodka and club soda with a twist of lime, low in calories and a nice punch of alcohol ...
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods, and make eating less a part of your life.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber -- no need to weigh these.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods, and make eating less a part of your life.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber -- no need to weigh these.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

^ I disagree with this. OP, please read the links I posted.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you...working at it but not losing...Don't give up . Just some fine tuning and you'll be heading in the right direction scale wise. I also started taking my measurements'. I'm not just going to use the scale as my only monitor of weight loss. Good Luck
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

Do you even log on the cheat day? Perhaps the cheat day could be cancelling out the deficit, as someone else said. If you go back to 1,700 (I know it sounds a lot but it will shrink as YOU shrink :bigsmile:) you could eat a little under it for 6 days a week, say 1,500.. then on Saturday - enjoy yourself with 1,200 in the bank!

Alcohol has so many calories you would not believe btw - just 3 Margeritas adds up to about 750.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I weep for you.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

:huh: :noway: