New Goal: 18% to 15% Body Fat

Options
I've been feeling awfully sorry for myself recently for very little reason. I had successfully lost 120 pounds (from 310 to 190) and I thought that I had hit my goal and all was well.

Call it narcissistic, but I'm not happy yet. On a check this morning, I weighed 191 with 17.9% Body Fat. My goal within the next 8 months is to move my BF% to BELOW 15% (preferably between 13-15%) and keep my weight between 170-185.

Methods: Weight Training / 2x week, Cardio / 4x Week, CrossFit / 3x week. Maintain Calorie deficit of approximately 200-400 calories a day.

Replies

• MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would say doing more weight training and less cardio would be more beneficial.
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    I would say doing more weight training and less cardio would be more beneficial.

You think so? I need to cut the body fat before I can add the muscle appropriately.

I was considering doing another body recomp....
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options

You think so? I need to cut the body fat before I can add the muscle appropriately.

90.5kg Bw, bf% about 16? You could see abs at this % but I have very developed abs from my 14yrs as a competitive weightlifter.
    16 weeks later
    83.6kg, bf% 10.1%, bodpod tested.
    Last year I was up to 99kg! BF% about 22%+?!

NO CARDIO. I just lift 4x a week and ate less.

You can go from 15-10 within 16 weeks. I had 5 weeks where I gained on my previous weeks average as well so it wasn't even perfect dieting. Cardio would have made my results faster but I can't stand cardio.

Koing
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    Koing-

That's VERY interesting. I'm planning on doing Touch and Go lifting 2x a week (for example, 5 sets of 10 deadlifts @ 185) and 2x a week of 1RM lifting (Work up to 375-400 on a deadlift)

I feel like if I do Touch and Go and use proper form, I'm getting the benefits of both a cardio workout (with the elevated heart rate) and the weight training aspect as well.

I understand that I will lose a LITTLE of my Lean Muscle Mass (bound to happen), but once I get down to 10-13%, I can eat at a surplus and build muscle.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Koing-

That's VERY interesting. I'm planning on doing Touch and Go lifting 2x a week (for example, 5 sets of 10 deadlifts @ 185) and 2x a week of 1RM lifting (Work up to 375-400 on a deadlift)

I feel like if I do Touch and Go and use proper form, I'm getting the benefits of both a cardio workout (with the elevated heart rate) and the weight training aspect as well.

I understand that I will lose a LITTLE of my Lean Muscle Mass (bound to happen), but once I get down to 10-13%, I can eat at a surplus and build muscle.

Just be careful with high rep Deadlift work, especially for the 4th and 5th sets. I wouldn't grind through a 8th or 9th rep with bad form. Just do another few reps on the 11th or 12th set.

15% to 10% is well within most people in 16 weeks IMO. People have this crazy fascination of having to do cardio to lose fat. If a person hasn't built any/ much muscle mass they generally just end up lighter but without changing their body fat % and don't look like what they want to be.

I'd say keep cutting until you can see some visible abs/ are happy and then bulk.

I'm on 27 week of my cut now. As soon as I hit 82kg I'll get my bf% tested again and that'll be the end of my cut.

I have NEVER plateaued once during the 27th week when I have EATEN PROPERLY. The only times I've gained weight is due to eating over calories, binging 1-2x in a week or high salt foods. Not a single week where my weight didn't drop if I ate PROPERLY.

Koing
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good luck! :)
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Definitely. The more lean muscle mass you have the more fat you are going to lose and burn off. Too much Cardio sheds fat AND muscle and you don't want that. you want to lose bodyfat not overall weight and there's a difference.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Agree!!! 100%