sometimes it gets difficult...others around you eating pizza

Options
so tonight we went out to a semi-restaurant that carries limited healthy choices. I had a cup of soup. my husband and step-children and well, my toddler had pizza. I know I can't deal with pizza right now. can't log it...just too difficult. I am looked at as a freak...but I am trying to eat healthy. let's face it...pizza (unless made a certain way) isn't healthy. I have made my own pizza...it can be healthy.

Replies

• zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    Don't worry about others. If they are your family they should be aware of what you are aiming for and be supportive about your choices. I often choose something lighter than other people eating with me in a restaurant and if people ask I tell them that I'm consciously choosing food that is better for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You could have ONE piece of pizza and your soup. Often the reason you'll get looks is because you're making a spectacle of yourself being the martyr just having some soup while everyone else is enjoying their food. Eating a piece of pizza isn't going to blow up anyone's whole diet.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You could have ONE piece of pizza and your soup. Often the reason you'll get looks is because you're making a spectacle of yourself being the martyr just having some soup while everyone else is enjoying their food. Eating a piece of pizza isn't going to blow up anyone's whole diet.

This. AND IMHO what makes the situation unhealthy is that a piece of pizza is viewed as something wicked.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pizza is far from unhealthy..... I have manage to lose 300+ lbs. eating pizza atleast once a week. You could have a slice of pizza and get a side salad or have the soup with it... I haven't been to a pizza place yet that won't make a thin crust pizza over regular to save on some calories, or only get a pizza with veggies instead of pepperoni, bacon, whatnot... (Now I am saying this for your sake, I personal get pizza with everything but the kitchen sink lol). You can always order your own personal size with your choice of toppings if your friends and family prefer other choices... There is always options..... Best of Luck
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options

This. AND IMHO what makes the situation unhealthy is that a piece of pizza is viewed as something wicked.

I agree with this ^^^ too, however I know that there are some foods that if I have one it will lead to another and before I know it I've overindulged. If you felt like you had no control once you ate the pizza then good on you for recognising that impulse to overeat and avoiding a situation that could have made you feel a whole lot worse.
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I ate 3 pieces of pizza tonight for dinner, I don't feel bad about it all since I don't eat it everyday! And I didn't cut them into huge pieces either.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Nobody thinks you're a spectacle unless you're pointing it out.

I have a family that doesn't eat healthy Every Day! I have to face each of the things they want that look great, that I'm trying not to have. So Yes, I drink my water when I REALLY want the pop my husband is drinking. Its all a choice.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Good for you for sticking to your guns. Although I'm not quite sure whose looking at you like a freak? For all the restaurant staff know you could be lactose intolerant. Or maybe just don't like pizza? If your family are looking at you like that. Just explain it doesn't fit into what you want to eat. Sometimes I think we worry too much that "everyone is looking at us". When really they are too busy doing their own thing to care. :flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    You could also cut a piece of the pizza in half and have half of it with your soup or salad. But, seriously, it's your family. They should know you're trying to eat healthier and it shouldn't come as a surprise to them or seem weird when you order something different. If you felt like a freak, it's probably because of one of three things.

Either....
    Your husband was being unsupportive and made rude comments that tore you down, in which case, you need to have a long talk with him because he is being a dirtbag

or...
    You made a spectacle out of yourself by playing the martyr because you were choosing to eat healthy. I find that often (but not always) comes from secretly resenting others for not making healthier choices to make your journey easier. In which case, you need to have a long talk with yourself because that's not fair to your family.

or....
    It's all in your head and you imagined it. In which case, you need to decide if it's something you just need to get over (like feeling self conscious in the gym) or if it would be better for your journey to go ahead and plan to occasionally indulge (but not over indulge) when you guys all go out together.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

^ This & That ^

You CAN lose weight AND eat restaurant pizza. Calories in & Calories out, anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something. And, it's easy as heck to log! If in doubt, really, just treat 1 large slice of pizza (1/8th of the pizza) with toppings as 300 calories and move on.

Are you just making an excuse that logging is too difficult, which is why you chose to log soup instead? Or are you trying to point out that you made a food sacrifice? Perhaps others will commiserate! Ya know, and be like, "Golly I know, and then they want ice cream and I have to be good!"

But, I'm not that person. :) I 100% support you for wanting to make a good choice if you were almost out of calories for the day or if you've already had days where you've been over calories. GO SOUP! YAY TEAM SOUP!

But really, 300 calories for a yummy slice of pizza? You should be able to hit that.

Anyhoo, my message is that hating on food (that you used to eat because now you're calling it unhealthy or junk or whatever) or judging others for eating what they went out to eat is not 'being healthy'. If you want to eat healthy, you need to learn to eat all over and that includes repairing your relationship with food.

Me: Hello, Pizza. . . I like you, you taste like winning.
    Pizza: I like you, too! And I swear I did not make your jeans too tight.
    Me: I know Pizza, I know. That was me, not you.
    Pizza: I know right?! But it really hurts my feelings when you blame me for eating too many calories.
    Me: Yep, I feel you. I'm sorry, Pizza.

And then the healing begins. ^_^
  • Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

^ This & That ^

You CAN lose weight AND eat restaurant pizza. Calories in & Calories out, anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something. And, it's easy as heck to log! If in doubt, really, just treat 1 large slice of pizza (1/8th of the pizza) with toppings as 300 calories and move on.

Are you just making an excuse that logging is too difficult, which is why you chose to log soup instead? Or are you trying to point out that you made a food sacrifice? Perhaps others will commiserate! Ya know, and be like, "Golly I know, and then they want ice cream and I have to be good!"

But, I'm not that person. :) I 100% support you for wanting to make a good choice if you were almost out of calories for the day or if you've already had days where you've been over calories. GO SOUP! YAY TEAM SOUP!

But really, 300 calories for a yummy slice of pizza? You should be able to hit that.

Anyhoo, my message is that hating on food (that you used to eat because now you're calling it unhealthy or junk or whatever) or judging others for eating what they went out to eat is not 'being healthy'. If you want to eat healthy, you need to learn to eat all over and that includes repairing your relationship with food.

Me: Hello, Pizza. . . I like you, you taste like winning.
    Pizza: I like you, too! And I swear I did not make your jeans too tight.
    Me: I know Pizza, I know. That was me, not you.
    Pizza: I know right?! But it really hurts my feelings when you blame me for eating too many calories.
    Me: Yep, I feel you. I'm sorry, Pizza.

And then the healing begins. ^_^

One piece isn't going to hurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've had pizza several times when we order one, but I wouldn't have pizza at a restaurant either because the portions are huge (unless we got a whole pizza for all of us I guess) and it's often too many calories for one piece that isn't going to fill me up at all. We go out 3 times a month and I have healthier food, while the kids have pizza, mac'n cheese, fries, and hubby whatever he wants... It's just something you got to get used to. It's that or never going out.

Or pick a place with yummy healthy options. I've found that I enjoy those just as much most of the time.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Pizza is perfectly healthy. Limit yourself to one or two slices. Enjoy your night out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    How is a slice of pizza unhealthy? It's basically an open-faced sandwich.

Now, eating an entire pizza might be considered unhealthy, but that's an entirely different problem.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard. Hell I do 0 calorie fasting days while hubby & son have pizza. It's not that hard at all.
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    By denying yourself 1 piece, you are setting yourself up to binge sometime soon, especially if you are thinking about it this much. If you had had 1 piece, you would think, wow that was yummy and so is this soup. I am gonna have to add some extra work out time tomorrow.

Trust me no one was looking at you eating. You think they were but they weren't. That is the thing, people THINK they are being judged when in reality those people are thinking the exact same thing you are. You were thinking "I bet they are wondering why I am having soup." And they were maybe thinking "Hmmm I wonder if that soup is on the buffet bar!" or "I wonder how that got her hair to look so nice"....they WERE NOT "watching you make a spectacle of yourself".....

Now if you were stating loudly "Here I am with my soup...woe is me....that pizza looks tasty..." yeah they might have been...
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Now I don't know you personally OP so maybe eating pizza sends you on a downward cycle of insanity and binging. But, if that's the case, wouldn't a controlled enviornent where people are there and can support you and the pizza is limited be a great place to start working in your ability to moderate yourself?

Order soup and pizza. Tell your husband that under no circumstances should you eat a second. Stick to that. Have your husband gently remind you of your resolve. Maybe get a salad or veggies as well to help bulk out your meal.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Quoting to emphasize these excellent links! Well worth the read, OP. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Read the OP for what can happen when you try to deny yourself foods you love:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120425-feelings-after-a-cheat-day

"For some reason i was craving pizza after a very long time so i gave in and i ate the whole large three cheese pizza all by myself."