Symmetry?

Options
Hi All,

So I've recently switched from Starting Strength to 5/3/1 and have noticed with the new assistance work that my dominant side (I'm a lefty) is significantly stronger than my non-dominant side.

Do I continue with the same weight on both sides even though it is easy with the left and a struggle with the right?

My profile pic would be much different if It was taken of the other arm, haha.

How do I build up my right side without neglecting my left?

Replies

• emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Of course discussion of bacon is welcome as are furn GIFs

Or should I mention:
    SUGAR IS EVIL......
  • livesthere
    Options
    I don't know the answer but I would love to hear what others have to say as I have ankle and knee issues on my left side and have naturally compensated FOREVER with my right side.

I know I try to do extra reps with my left side when I'm doing weights and weight machines.... But I have no idea if that does anything.
  • livesthere
    Options
    P.S. I LOVE Sugar. Ha!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When you do your sets, start with your right side (weaker side) and do as many as you can. Then do the same amount for your left side. That might even things out over time.

My right side is a little stronger than my left, but not by a ton. I think that's kind of normal to a certain degree.
  • emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good idea!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Check this out

www.functionalmovement.com

Find someone who is FMS certified and get screened. It can be very eye opening.
    Sometimes the difference between one side and the other isn't actual strength, but something in our body "putting on the brakes" and holding us back