for my fellow 21 year olds...

Options
I know it is VERY sometimes not to join in all the festivities being 21 but i found it is so worth is to cut out a lot of drinking, it's just so many empty calories. However, for me, it was unrealistic to cut it out all together... this is what i do:

1 night a week (usually saturday)
Only light beer (i stick with Miller Lite but there's some even lighter ones they've come out with)
Depending on your size and whether you're a male or female and how light the beer is i would have anywhere from 5-10 beers

I've found sticking to this allows me to have a good time, party, and still lose weight. Even though it is a lot of calories I usually save a little bit that day and try and definitely work out beforehand so it's not so bad. Not only that, but for me it's not enough to give me a hangover so I'm not reaching for fatty, greasy foods the next day.

Replies

• madjo
    madjo Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't drink beer but if I am having wine at home I get a low calorie wine and if I am out I stick to spirits - vodka, soda & lime or vodka, coke zero & lime - sounds weird but it is really yummy if you want something a little tastier than soda water
  • turbomeyers
    Options
    cutting boos right out has made a huge difference to me .
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i do once a week also, either gin and slimline tonic, or gin and tonic

and actually the more i go out and drink the more weight i lose! if im on gin and slimline, its 50 cals a drink, if i have 10, 500 calories. But il be on my feet for 5/6 hours dancing and walking about when normally id be sleeping!

drink and go out to lose weight! hahah
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but I just have to post this recipe for a low carb cosmo. I really like sweet cocktails, and I'd rather not waste calories on beer that I don't like.

* 1.5 oz Citron vodka or regular vodka (nutritional analysis uses 80 proof)
    * 1 oz diet cranberry juice (NOT "light" -- it must say diet)
    * 1 tablespoon lime juice (fresh preferred)
    * 2 to 3 drops orange extract
    * 2 to 4 teaspoons sugar equivalent in artificial sweetener (to taste), liquid preferred
    105 Calories, 2.5g "effective" carbohydrates.

It's so low calorie that you can get away with doubling the recipe, or having a second one. I rarely drink anymore, but on special nights I prepare this when I can.
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    calories are not the issues with alcohol. it's the sugar in most spirits.. and the carbohydrates in beer...

spiking your glycemic index will cause you to crave sugars for longer periods of time after.

cutting alcohol completely out of a diet is the best way to go until you've reached your fitness goals..
  • Charlie001
    Options
    I have the same problem with klondike bars. I want them, but I do not think they are worth the calories. I have them on sundays.
  • DKWaggoner
    Options
    Age has nothing to do with it.We all have social times that drinking is the NORM..