Dairy/soy free diet???

Options
Anyone on a dairy AND soy free diet? I am a breastfeeding mom of a baby who is allergic to both and had to change my diet completely. Hoping that I can find some people in a similar boat as me to help me along this journey! Advice, recipes, diet plans, etc! If this sounds like you then please reply or add me as a friend! Thanks! :)

Replies

• agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Paleo/Whole30 are both soy and dairy free diets. If you google recipes for either one you'd have loads of ideas.
  • D0minionconquest
    D0minionconquest Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do have a friend who is on the Paleo diet and I just asked her two days ago if she can share some of her recipes with me! Is Whole 30 the same as Paleo or different? I will surely look them up! Thanks so much!
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i also tried doing this but not for health reasons but because i read the book "the virgin diet" ... you should check it out because it's a really good resource!
  • kclynn7
    kclynn7 Posts: 71
    Options
    Paleo is good. You can google recipes or search on Pinterest - I have made a ton I have found on the web and they all turned out great. Google: paleo chicken apple bacon sliders - start with that one, they are yummy (I made them full size burgers).
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Paleoplan.com and everydaypaleo.com are also good sites for recipes. :smile:
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am dairy free and egg free but I do consume soy.
  • D0minionconquest
    Options
    Thank you guys! Going to search those places now and the chicken apple bacon sliders sound DELICIOUS!!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do have a friend who is on the Paleo diet and I just asked her two days ago if she can share some of her recipes with me! Is Whole 30 the same as Paleo or different? I will surely look them up! Thanks so much!

Whole30 is a little different than Paleo (Everything Whole30 is Paleo, but not everything Paleo is Whole30...)- basically the logic with Whole30 is more about eliminating anything that people tend to be sensitive to (grains, legumes, dairy, soy, added sugar, vegetable oils, etc.) and sticking to whole, natural foods - vegetables, meat, eggs, some fruit, some nuts, and lots of coconut/olive oil. You do this for 30 days at a minimum and then are welcome to try adding back in any of the things you feel that you really miss - one at a time so you can see how they affect you. You also aren't supposed to make "Paleo desserts" - which would be like cookies or whatnot made with nut butters, and almond flour and dates instead of grains and sugar while you're doing a Whole30 - the idea being to get your body used to eating veggies and meat and such that are the healthiest thing for you. It does change your taste buds - fruit starts to feel like dessert, etc.

Paleo is just always the same restrictions on grains, legumes, dairy, soy, etc. And it's based on what we think paleolithic man ate. I don't know if I really buy that logic completely - I prefer the Whole30 idea of figuring out what works for my individual body. Which may or may not equal Paleo... :)

Anyway, regardless of whether you do either diet fully - there are loads of blogs and online sources for Paleo or Whole30 recipes available. Nomnompaleo is a good one. But the food is really delicious and would all be dairy and soy free, so it would give you lots of ideas. Paleo crab cakes are one of my favorites - yum! And Sweet Potato Hash with grass fed ground beef and spinach is also super delicious.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Use EVOO instead of butter for sautéing.

Drink rice milk and Rice Dream (ice cream).
  • D0minionconquest
    Options
    It sounds like Whole 30 might be better for me because I might have to cut out nuts too. My son is too young for allergy testing so the elimination diet is how we must go to figure out what is making him sick. And I believe that I wouldn't miss anything except fruit since I LOVE LOVE LOVE my fruits. But I can stick to it for 30 days and see from there. That doesn't seem too hard. It's getting my husband to stick to it that'll be difficult. I will have to find some amazingly delicious recipes to keep him happy for 30 days. Lol