Women 55 and over. Help!!!!

Options
I'm 58, overweight and been doing this on and off for two years now. I can make all the excuses in the world and believe me, they will be valid, but that isn't what I want to do. What I want to do is lose weight. I can use friends who suffer from the same issues I do. I'll list them.
*I work the overnight
*I have at least 50 lbs to lose
*I have problems with my back and my doctor's don't want to do surgery yet as it will be my 3rd one.
*I have bursitus in my hips and the pain is overwhelming. (I won't take pain meds)
*I'm in a high stress job working with children in crisis. I'm starting to feel like I have PTSD myself.
*I live on a farm 55 miles from the hub of a large city and feel isolated from a social life.
*I'm socked indoors during the winter.
*I have a hernia and acid reflux
*I'm time restricted and don't always have internet connections.

Now, for some positive things.
*I have a wonderful and supportive husband.
* I have the means to buy healthy foods.
*I have an old treadmill in the basement and workout equipment
* I feel better when I'm thinner and try to stay focused on that.
*I have goals in life and work at them one at a time.

Although I have goals and feel good about reaching them, something holds me back on making it a priority and I'm not sure what it is. I sleep 8 hours during the daytime and find only enough time to grab a quick snack. Then I feel hungry all night long at work. If anyone has any great ideas of foods that will keep me full longer without disrupting my digestive system I'm up for the challenge. I'm working harder at getting my food documented. I was very successful when I was able to log every day.

Thanks for any help that is coming my way.

Replies

• DesertQuilter
    Options
    Hi, I'd sure like some help, too. I'm a 59 year old retired school teacher. My weight was pretty normal until I reached my late 40s and it began to slowly creep up. My doctor laid the cards on the table....lose weight or blood pressure meds. I really don't want to get started on meds. Most of my days are spent quilting, so it's rather sedentary. Once a week, I sew with a group, and, of course, everyone brings food for a potluck. My husband eats whatever I make, so it really is up to me to make changes. Hope to hear more from you!
  • bitty_401
    Options
    Hi, there! I'm 62 yrs old and I've been gaining weight since I reached 38 and worked as an Assistant Director(mostly on desk job).Too much donuts and coffee.It started when I moved from Puerto Rico(was 110 lbs) to Massachusetts looking for a better financial life for me and my children.So I began working at a tobacco( I would say farm 'cause I don't know how to call it) and after three months there I found this opportunity at a hospital, and there was my overweight start.Moved to Puerto Rico with 30 lbs more due to my parents health, and got to cared for them. Eating rice and beans every day and white bakery bread, my weight began rising as the fastest rocket on earth, uffff! Try different diets and pills and drinks and even exercising. but as soon as I stopped doing them, gain twice the lbs I lost. about tis3 yrs ago( more or less) I logged to MFP and lost 19 lbsand was with the metabolism diet. but last year i had a pulmonary embolism and with the hospital diet gain back my 19 lbs during the 45 days in hospital.So I was to 215lbs. That's one of my health problems and diet problem too since I can't eat no green( and I love broccoli, lettuce, cabbage,beans and all types of leaves; and of course, my green tea.So with this history and all health problems I've got( hernia disc-L1-L5, arthritis, neuropathy due to clots on my legs, fibromyalgia, tendonitis,and now the recurrent venous thrombosis). so I decidedd to go back to my metabolism diet. I'm on my 4th wk and had lost 22 lbs even it doesn't show on my tickler cause I logged 2 wks after. I eat other carbs that are not green not exceed the amount daily for those wks.
    ah, I'm now knitting and sedentary type since my embolism-my legs hurt a lot and I would like to share dieting experiences with you or any person around our age.I would help you with tips given on my diet and you share yours, if that is ok w/you.Hope to become friends,
  • bitty_401
    Options
    I would like to share and be friends to support each other w/ diet tips.