Eating the majority of my calories in one sitting

Options
Hi Everyone.

I have been trying to lose this bloody weight for 6 years now. I tried all sorts. crash diets, healthy eating, 5 small meals a day, cutting carbs. Nothing works. Not because its not a good diet but because I give up. I have thought of a way that might work and would like some feedback. I know it isn't the healthiest or cleanest way to eat,but I am 222 pounds and 25 years old. I need to change my life. I have thought of doing the following.

Eating a very very light breakfast or lunch of around 100-200 calories. Only one meal. Either breakfast or lunch. Maybe 1 or two cups of tea in between with no sugar.

Then save up all my calories and have a nice dinner and dessert of around 1000 calories. I think this would work so well for me as I would feel like I can eat a normal dinner with my boyfriend and not feel deprived all the time. I could also have the occasional take away and not feel like I am ruining anything.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    That only adds up to 1100-1200 cals? You probably don't need to eat so little. Are you planning on any exercise?
  • skinnywoofwoof
    Options
    I can't exercise at the moment as I'm doing physio on my knees as the kneecaps are not in the right position. I will eating around 1300 calories per day and it is always a struggle to eat under this but I have quite a slow metabolism and even eating at this level I only lose around a pound a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise at the moment as I'm doing physio on my knees as the kneecaps are not in the right position. I will eating around 1300 calories per day and it is always a struggle to eat under this but I have quite a slow metabolism and even eating at this level I only lose around a pound a week.

Only 1lb per week? 1lb per week is great! It's not a race, slow and steady will keep it off....
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

I have been trying to lose this bloody weight for 6 years now. I tried all sorts. crash diets, healthy eating, 5 small meals a day, cutting carbs. Nothing works. Not because its not a good diet but because I give up. I have thought of a way that might work and would like some feedback. I know it isn't the healthiest or cleanest way to eat,but I am 222 pounds and 25 years old. I need to change my life. I have thought of doing the following.

Eating a very very light breakfast or lunch of around 100-200 calories. Only one meal. Either breakfast or lunch. Maybe 1 or two cups of tea in between with no sugar.

Then save up all my calories and have a nice dinner and dessert of around 1000 calories. I think this would work so well for me as I would feel like I can eat a normal dinner with my boyfriend and not feel deprived all the time. I could also have the occasional take away and not feel like I am ruining anything.

What do you guys think?

My breakfast during the week is usually around 200 calories, my lunch around 400. And then I have the remaining 1000 to 1600 calories (depends on how active I've been during the day) for the evening.

On the weekends, it's usually a later breakfast of around 400 calories and then an earlier dinner with the remaining calories.

eta: didn't catch that you were only eating 2 meals.
  • LouiseB1991
    LouiseB1991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why not try making healthier versions of the dinner and lower fat desserts? If you go on bbc good food you can search for dessert recipes by setting the calories. And remember to have smaller portions than your boyfriend as men need a higher calorie intake
  • JamiesMummyX
    JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You're just gonna be starving every day until dinner time. If you're ok with that and it'll work for you then go for it. Eventually your body will get used too it.

Only thing is though, I wouldn't think your body would be getting all the different vitamins and things it needs in a dinner meal every day.

Could you not split it into 2 meals, 600 each, have 400 calories of whatever for lunch, with 200 calories of salad, then same for dinner, 400 calories of whatever with 200 calories of vegetables. You'd be surprised how much food 200 calories is in veg and salad.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Edit: Posted this in the wrong place, please ignore this post :|
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I eat around 200-250 calories for breakfast, no lunch and then around 1000 calories for dinner. I keep 100-150 for a late snack. I do try to eat healthy stuff though, no junk.

I'm doing this because I'm not very hungry in the morning, I get hungry in the afternoon and when it's dinner time, I really enjoy a full satisfying meal. I find it way more rewarding than various small meals/snacks during the day.

Works well so far for me: ~40 lbs lost in 3 months.

One thing though: I don't cheat.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    As long as you can control yourself doing that -- some people, when they don't eat during the day, get to the evening and NOM ALL THE FOODS -- it will be as good as any other.

I usually eat two big meals a day and maybe a snack in between.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    This is what I do with my night shift job. During my work week I typically eat all of my calories at work and have been steadily losing weight just fine.
  • stickytapir
    Options
    This is what I do, and I feel satisfied and never hungry.

I don't eat breakfast, because I never really am hungry until it's lunch. On the off chance I do have breakfast, it's usually a cup of tea and 2 of those Belvita Breakfast Biscuits. Dude, I love those. 4 biscuits is around 240 calories and they have a decent amount of fibre as well :) Lunch is around 200-300 calories, then I have dinner which can range from 600-900 calories, and I fill in my remaining calories with some snacks to round it out. I work on a 1430 calorie plan
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is similar to what I do. If you can keep it under control at night it works great. I like to feel full once a day instead of starved all day. Try it for a week or so. If it works great. If not keep trying things out. You will find the right strategy before long.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found - particularly for digestion - is to eat an amount at each meal that leaves you feeling you could eat more and doesn't make your stomach feel stretched or uncomfortable. I like to feel that I could get up and run quite hard for a bus after a meal - not that I'm stuffed and need to lie down. For that reason I try and make each meal about 400 calories, plus snacks and then lose about 400 of those calories through daily exercise.

If you eat a lot in one go you're asking your kidneys etc to work hard digesting that and your stomach may not shrink to the point where it just doesn't want as much food. But if it works for you - it works for you!

When I lost a lot of weight in the past, I just couldn't 'stomach' (literally) the amount of food I was eating before and my portion sizes when down by half for lunch and dinner. I only generally eat a bowl of porridge in the morning anyway, so breakfast is easy for the calories. Good Luck!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Try it, and see if it works for you. I do something similar in that I usually don't eat until about 1pm, but I have about 4-500 calories then. I have the majority of my calories in the evening. Suits me pretty well. 1 lb a week loss is great.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The best thing I've found - particularly for digestion - is to eat an amount at each meal that leaves you feeling you could eat more and doesn't make your stomach feel stretched or uncomfortable. I like to feel that I could get up and run quite hard for a bus after a meal - not that I'm stuffed and need to lie down. For that reason I try and make each meal about 400 calories, plus snacks and then lose about 400 of those calories through daily exercise.
    I think this is one of those things that comes down to personal preference. Some people really hate feeling full, some people can't stand feeling the slightest bit hungry. Personally, I like feeling very full (although not stuffed or uncomfortable or like I need to lie down, but pretty full), and I don't mind the feeling I have when I haven't eaten for 16 or so hours. I quite like building up an appetite. I don't like that feeling of never quite being full and never quite being hungry. I like to have just enough at lunchtime to keep me going, and then to go to bed feeling nice and full.

Watching other people eat, I sometimes wonder if some of those people that never seem to struggle with their weight are the ones that really hate feeling too full, and so don't overeat because it just feels too uncomfortable.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's the best idea for you. If you've tried having 5 meals a day with not much success, I think that having just 1 big meal a day would leave you ravenous for the rest of the time. Especially if you're overweight and you've been used to eat, this would be pretty much like going on a crash diet. The only reason they recommend you to eat a little often when you're on a diet is because the less hungry you feel, the better it works. If the problem is that you give up after you've started, maybe you should seek for help from a nutritionist :) especially if you can't workout yet. Sometimes we can't do it all by ourselves.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've done what you're doing with pretty good success before. It worked well for me during periods when I couldn't exercise a lot.
  • PooksInBoots
    Options
    It really doesn't matter when you get your calories over the course of the day. I'm a two-meal a day eater (a latte made with almond or coconut milk for breakfast, a small lunch, and a larger dinner with wine and sometimes dessert), and I've lost 41lbs doing it. It really depends on how your body feels doing it. If not eating for an extended period of time is something that feels good for you, go for it. If it doesn't feel good, try something different. There will be many people on this site telling you that you have to eat over regular intervals, and if that works for them, that's great. However, some of the leanest people on the site practice a version of intermittent fasting (which is what we're talking about here).

Do what feels right for you!
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, perfectly healthy, and perfect for you if you think it will work for you. This is essentially IF, intermittent fasting. My only suggestion would be to throw in a couple of higher calorie days throughout the week, to up your weekly average a bit. This will keep things moving, and keep you feeling good about what you're doing.

I'm not an expert on the number of calories. I do firmly believe that the larger you are, the fewer you can eat. But you will have to readjust as you move down the scale.

I am using IF, and on only 2 fast days a week (granted, my fast days I only eat 500cals, and more like 1400 to 1600 the rest of the week) I've lost 23 lbs in 4 weeks. With almost no exercise (not by choice, due to injury/illness) I love it. It is easy for me to not think about food for those two days. I wish I could fast every single day, but THAT would not be healthy! ;) So I just pre-log the other 5 days.

I had gotten to the point where nothing was working for me, and I've tried everything. Doing this, it's been like hitting a reset button on my body, and in the second week (the one I was able to workout in) I lost 12lbs.

Good luck.
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Some people really hate feeling full, some people can't stand feeling the slightest bit hungry. Personally, I like feeling very full (although not stuffed or uncomfortable or like I need to lie down, but pretty full), and I don't mind the feeling I have when I haven't eaten for 16 or so hours. I quite like building up an appetite.

We're pretty similar on this. Being hungry during the day is fine for me, what I truly dislike is being hungry AFTER a meal. I find it frustrating and that's why I prefer to eat most of my calories in one single meal.