Feeling discouraged - after just 9 days

Options
If I keep on losing weight I seem to have no problems sticking with a diet. But something weird is going on. Here are my weights since starting on 10/11 (in kg).

10/11 - 130.0
10/12 - 129.9
10/13 - 128.8
10/14 - 128.2
10/15 - 128.2
10/16 - 128.0
10/17 - 127.8 <- great so far!
10/18 - 128.2 <- from here my weight has started to creep up again
10/19 - 129.0
10/20 - 129.2

I can't imagine what's happening. I'm well within my calorie limits. I've been really really strict about not "guesstimating" calories. I weigh everything or go strictly by labels.

And I been doing more exercise than I've done in a year! I haven't used my moped even once since 10/11 and have been walking everywhere instead. That means at least 30 minutes of walking a day, sometimes more.

I'm being really good.

The stuff I've been eating has all been what I consider healthy too - more veggies, more fruits, absolutely no red meat, more fish, some white meat skinless chicken, a bit of brown rice. No sugary desserts. Nothing fried at all.

I can't imagine why my weight has started creeping up. At this weight for the calories I've been eating I should actually be losing weight rapidly at first.

I feel discouraged... and we all know what that leads to.

Agh!

doug

Replies

• CaroleLynn
    Options
    Well Doug all I can say is dno't get discouraged... also it may not be "wise" to weigh yourself everyday. Try once a week at the same time everyday (i like morning when my tummy is empty) =)

Good luck to you and don't give up, you can do this!! We all have your back!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    first off, I would not weight every day, once a week is more than enough, and put your meals up so others can view what you are eating. Some one may be able to give some constructive advice on your meals.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    Hummm.....how is your salt intake? If you are eating too much sodium, you could be retaining water. Sometimes the salt is "hidden" so be careful. Also, your weight will fluctuate day to day naturally. You should weigh yourself one a week on the same day at the same time. That will give you a better gauge on what you've actually lost.
  • groucherella
    Options
    After all the dust settled it looks like you still came out with a 1 lb. loss. Don't weigh yourself daily, it is sure to induce nervous breakdowns! Stick to it and don't stress about it. If you're working out and eating right, things will fall into place and if it doesn't you might seek the advice of a nutritionist or doctor.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Just a thought but you said you have been exercising more; Could you be gaining muscle as a result and that be the reason for the gain? If so then it will be actually be more beneficial in the long run. That's about all I can think of without more info.
  • melodious2878
    Options
    I agree you really should only weigh yourself once a week. You body will fluctuate, so dont let worry. Just keep tracking and exercising! You'll do great!
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    hang in there remember our bodies are getting used to this new lifestyle too. are you consuming enough water? maybe you need to amp up your walk with a little faster pace, or maybe add some variety to your routine if possible. this takes time we didn't get this way overnight, and it's gonna take some time for our bodies to adjust to this new way of living. I wish you all the best
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what Amarillo_NDN said, unless you have a medical reason to do so (i.e. retaining water/on Lasix).

I've said this before and I'm going to say it again. Measuring and weighing is a great thing. HOWEVER, keep this in mind, every nutrition label seems to be like 20, 40, 100, etc. Do we really think that many foods can land on an even number? No!! Measure, but a hair over is fine. Some fluctuations help keep the body guessing.

Also, it could be sodium causing you to hold onto the water weight. Are you weighing in at the same time? There are always variables. I wouldn't worry too much about 1-2 lbs...even 5 lbs. in a week.

Good luck and don't give up!! :)
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There really is no need to weigh yourself everyday. I used to do the same thing and get upset. Experts actually recommend at least once a week. Weight goes up and down throughout the day and even throughout the week. So, weigh yourself once a week at the same time. Preferably in the morning after you use the bathroom before anything is in your stomach.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This happens to me frequently. I usually contribute it to water weight, or other elimination problems. I don't pay too much attention. If it continues for a couple of days, I will try zig zagging my diet and exercise. So, I might eat more calories than I normally do - not a lot more but a little more and then not exercise for a day or two (or exercise less), but then after a few days, I will kick it up again - exercising more than I had been and reducing the calories again. then it seems to jujmpstart the weight loss again.

Vickie
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    Hi Doug!
    I have to ditto the others that have posted. I suggest weighing once a week as daily isn't always an accurate reading. I like to weigh Friday morning before going into the weekend, that way if I struggle (weekends are hard for me) I have all week to whip myself back in shape.

Also, I think the first few weeks are hard as it takes awhile to get in the swing of things. Don't get discouraged, hang in there. It does get better and easier once your body gets used to the changes.

Good luck!!:smile:
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Throughout the week our bodies naturally fluctuate which is why you won't get an accurate reading if you weight yourself daily. I like to give myself 2 weeks between each weigh-in because that way I can see a really positive difference (although there is nothing wrong with a weekly check). I would also highly recommend taking your measurements. There WILL be weeks when your measurements will change but your weight will not. Muscle weighs the same as fat and yet it measures quite differently. If you are building muscle from all that walking, it is natural that you will not drop a radical amount of weight. Absolutely try and stick to 6 small meals, watch your sodium and sugar levels and drink a ton of water. It all really helps in the long run.

Try and find different exercises to do to change things up (our bodies do settle into routines).

More importantly, don't give up. This is not something that will change overnight. You must be prepared to put in the hard yards and make a total lifestyle change (or else at the end of this you will lose everything you worked so hard for - I know this, it happened to me).

GOOD LUCK!
  • megaloox
    Options
    I've run into this issue, too. At one point, I thought I'd lost 10 pounds. Then my weight crept back up a couple pounds, even though I was walking every day and staying under my calorie limit.
    It's important to understand that the body fluctuates in weight quite a bit from day to day. As I'm sure most people have already pointed out, weight can fluctuate based on a wide variety of things: water weight, water retention due to dehydration or too much sodium, bowel movements, and your body just adjusting to your new habits. I tend to weigh every day just because I want to closely monitor my own weight fluctuations and losses, but it's true that for most people, it's best to weigh once a week to avoid disappointment due to fluctuation.
    Keep going, though! This is all about the journey, and you'll feel much better knowing you stuck to it and achieved your goals :)
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks people. I really should take the majority's advice here and not weigh myself every day. I can't seem to get out of the habit of doing that. But you're right - it does drive me crazy.

I'll try that first.

Thanks for all your posts people!

doug

p.s. I haven't really been watching my salt intake so maybe that's a part of it. And I'm drinking at least 2 liters of water a day. In fact, all I'm drinking is water. Very refreshing.
  • hairy008
    Options
    Doug, if you have increased your exercise and maintained your caloric intake you maybe going through two things. 1) you have hit a plateau with your body weight, meaning, you are beginning to replace lost fat mass with lean muscle mass - very good thing; 2) if you are going strickly by labels and only caloric intake, then check your fat/carbohydrate/protien ratios, meaning, for weight loss (even weight gain - lean muscle mass) you would want low fat, medium carbs and high protein. Your body can only handle a certain amount of protein at a time, then it pushes it out as waste; too many carbs and they turn into fat- just remember you need carbs to burn for short runs and the protein burns for the long runs.
    What is your goal and your starting weight? Don't get discouraged keep up the good work. Plus, do what Amarillo_NDN suggests-- don't weigh yourself daily, do it weekly.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Goodness Gracious why the heck are you weighing your self every day?

I'm no expert, but for what it's worth I've a couple of ideas...

+Sound like you stressing about this entirely too much. (I've heard stress hormones can make you retain weight)

+You lost 2.2kg/almost 5 lbs your first week. That seems like a lot to me. Yoyo dieting is wreaks havoc on your body. (there is that old reduce your calories too quickly and your body decides to use them more efficiently... i.e. they store them as fat)

+Have you started a new work out regime? (Whenever I start working out I'll put on 5 lbs muscle before I manage to lose the first 5 lbs of fat. Muscle mass is denser/weighs more per cubic cm, but it also burns more calories and you'll end up ahead of the game. If this the case just stick with the program and it will work itself out.

Could it be a COMBINATION of any these things?

When I was stressing about not meeting my goals, this was helpful for me.

It recently dawned on me that...
    To lose 1lb/week I get 1290 cal
    To maintain my 1st weight goal I get 1680 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over by 400 cal
    I should still lose (maybe a little more slowly, but no reason to throw in the towel).

To maintain my current weight 1780 cal
    ....unless I consistently go over by 500 cal
    I should not gain.

Even if I am not hitting every goal dead on I'm still doing much than I was before MFP.
    which, for me, is reason enough to stick with it.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself daily and find it really helps my weight loss, so I can totally understand why some people do it. HOWEVER, it takes a few weeks to figure out your body's natural pattern. I usually weigh less monday - thursday and then I weigh in heavier friday - sunday. I know its because my diet is not as healthy those days and I do not drink as much water. Monday is my "real" weigh in day and I consider my weigh ins on other days to be just to keep myself honest.

You are doing great so far! Its only been 9 days, and you have lost more than 1 kg which is more than 2 lbs. Thats amazing!! Do not get discouraged, give yourself some time to get into the swing of things.
  • douglernerold
    Options
    Thanks for the followup notes, people.

I did check my weight this morning again and it was 128.4 kg - a drop of 0.8 kg = 1.8 lb in one day. So obviously there are big gyrations over short periods of time.

It's just that the last time I stayed on a low-calorie diet long term I dropped weight consistently over long periods of time with no plateaus - particularly at the beginning!

About carbs vs proteins - I don't know what to make of that. I'm sort of in the "a calorie is a calorie" camp. People say, "well, human bodies aren't calorimeters." That's true, but I don't think that's how food calories are really calculated, from what I've read. If you read Dean Ornish, he claims it takes more calories to turn carbs into fat. If you read Atkins, he claims it takes more calories to convert fat eaten into stored fat. The exact opposite claims. How can one judge which is correct?

So I've decided to go for just a single metric for now - calories (in and out) and see how well it goes from there.

Thanks,

doug