thoughts on stretch marks (woman/men)

Options

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If they're the red kind you can make them considerably lighter and more skin tone by using "Mederma", used to be really expensive, but it's pretty reasonable now. Otherwise... once they're light, keeping skin well hydrated is about all you can do.

As far as me... f-it. They're scars due to my war with weight, some issues leave no visible scars, like depression and anxiety... others like my weight have left visible scars, I think I like them better than the mental scars I bear.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My genetics in combination with my obesity led to me getting quite a few of them, a number of which became pretty severe. I still have stretch marks and always will, but they are considerably lighter and smoother now. What personally helped me was Palmer's Stretch Mark lotion in conjunction with a dermaroller. A dermaroller is essentially a small plastic cylinder with tiny metal spikes. They create microscopic tears in the skin that signal the body to send more collagen to that area. It sounds crazy, but I did quite a bit of research before trying it. It takes time, but it does work. If having stretch marks bothers you greatly, I'd look into it. Otherwise, the best thing you can do is learn to accept them and continue taking care of your body. Try to keep focused on what you have accomplished and in the meantime, treat your skin well. Even just getting an adequate amount of water and nutrients can make a big difference over time.
  • motherwesser
    motherwesser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It has been said already above, but my first thought to the topic was "Battle Scars". No problem with me at all. Actually, they are inspiring to me.
  • marshxomellow
    Options
    I'm very self conscious about mine, especially since I'm living with my boyfriend. I find myself avoiding going topless because that is the area I have the most of my stretch marks. I have them on my back, my flank areas and on the front of my abdomen, and upper arms (inner area). But I find over time that more than likely they'll be there for life and I can just try with the lotions and moisturizers and keeping hydrated. & my boyfriend still grabs up on me and cuddles on me at night so I don't think stretch marks really mean much to a man. Just gotta embrace it and make the most of it.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I have them on just about everything between my chest to just above my knees. I don't wear bikinis but the ones on my thighs are really noticeable when I wear shorts. Stretch marks fade over time on their own, and I use self tanning lotion to blend them in more. Real tanning creates more contrast because stretch marks are scar tissue and won't tan. It also helps make cellulite less noticeable,and if you're a klutz who bruises easily, like me... it helps blend in bruises, too.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    I have stretchmarks from a rapid weight gain a few years back. At this point I don't pay any attention to them. They are part of life and most people get them at some point or another.

If they really bother you, then I've heard that cocoa butter helps (as others have said), but like mine as a reminder to help keep myself in check. They are just part of the weight gain/loss process.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I dress mine up with temporary tattoos to make belly shirts look even more interesting on me.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    If they really bother you, then I've heard that cocoa butter helps (as others have said),
    Yes, with regular upkeep, just as with anything else :) It definitely diminishes them to a point where they are much less visible after some time, even if upkeep is stopped.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Mine are terrible! I was, at one point in my life almost 300lbs, I have had 6 kids 2 of which are twins and these stretch marks aren't going anywhere.

ETA: Mine are super deep so no fading for this girl
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I have them on my thighs, butt, lovehandle area, belly, and arms. I also have loose skin from pregnancy and weight loss.

Mine have faded quite a bit with time, but they are still rather prominent albeit flesh toned. Try not to worry about it. There's almost nothing you can do to make them go away. Almost everyone has them, and almost everyone who's lost weight has areas of skin that aren't quite as tight as they'd like as well. Nobody's perfect. Just embrace yourself and be the best version of yourself that you can be.
  • nippoleon
    nippoleon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have them. I don't mind them too much, especially since I've realized how common they are and how a lot of men have them, too. I like them on people, because it makes me feel a lot less self-concious around them (:
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have them on my belly and chest from pregnancy and fast weight gain. They've faded over time and are now barely noticeable.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i have them from terrible life threatening problem pregnancies. i just have to remind myself that these tiger stripes were well earned and there are women out there who would love to earn them but cant!!!!!
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I have heaps of really small ones pretty much covering my upper arms and top of my boobs but these were from puberty and are not even noticeable from any further than 3 feet away any more. I got a lot of really large deep red ones on my tummy from my pregnancy. I used cocoa butter 2-3 times a day the whole way through, but it did nothing for me. They are slowly fading as I am losing weight but I have recently started using a product from Cussions (sp?) called new mum stretch mark fader and actually saw about a 40% reduction in the colour in them in just 2 weeks. May not work for everyone, but it is the only thing I have found that works for me.
    The ones on my tummy are the only ones that bother me in terms of looks, but I am less happy with the shape of my belly so wouldn't show it off anyway.
    Call me weird, but I won't mind them at all once they have faded as I actually think they feel kind of cool to touch. Don't know why, I just like touching them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    they are not stretch marks. they are tiger stripes and only strong people can see them as such :)

Thanks for telling me how not strong I am.

10089_large_medium.jpg
    I have stretch marks on half my body - thighs, calves, biceps,belly, breasts, back, butt, etc. I've had them for 35+ years, so I just live with them. They're not going away unless I want to have major surgery. You won`t catch me in a bikini ever.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The things is stretch marks are tiny scars and they eventually fade but never truly go away , I have had two daughters 19 months apart my stomach , hips thighs and from my inner thigh to the back of my knees have them and my ,breasts. I hide them well, mine are mostly white so not to bad I suppose, mine are a reminder of my children ,I also have lost 30 lbs so I'm sure they are from that too,Up till the time I became pregnant with my first i had never been overweight luckily but my pregnancies changed that , now I'm healthier and still have 15 or 16 lbs to go but I'm much smaller and close to my pre pregnancy size. I gather if someone said my stretch marks were an issue id tell them in no uncertain terms to go and well you can figure this one out, everyone has some kind of insecurity about themselves whether its stretch marks , weight , face so on instead of focusing on being negative about ones self lest focus on the positive , losing weight , gaining weight pregnancy puberty all can cause these tiny scars one can not hope to have no reminders of ones self before , your skin stretches , and what happens when you stretch something's to far it rips , hence the tiny scars . Keep going forward you are here today making a change within yourself no matter of the packaging beauty is only skin deep.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    They're part of my body. The fitter I get, the better I feel, so they don't really bother me anymore.
  • susanlovesfitness
    susanlovesfitness Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you look at my stomach I went from 300 lbs then on the far left 190 and now at 175.00.. I used PALMERS COCO Stick and now I use Mederma on the marks. It seems like it helped to lighten them but you can still see them in certain light..
  • LaisMussarra
    Options
    I had nightmares about them during my pregnancy. I was paranoid. I used Palmers Cocoa Butter, Pure Cocoa Butter and Bio Oil.
    I still got them on my belly.
    My mom had 3 pregnancies and ZERO stretch marks.
    I knew I was gonna get them, cause I got them as a teenager growing up.
    I learned not to care as much and all of my treatment during pregnancy helped me preventing them to be severe, so they are on my stomach, but not deep or bright
  • breakhearts
    breakhearts Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have horrible stretch marks on my side, and on the front of my stomach! I even have some on my shoulder tops, which truly sucks! :(