Discouraged

Options
Can someone please tell me why if I worked out everyday this week (except yesterday physically couldn't cuz of back issues) and logged my food and was under calories daily why I've gained weight when I checked today?

Replies

• Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates and if working out is new, you could be retaining water. Just keep at it.
  • Ashleyambermfp
    Ashleyambermfp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Having too few calories can cause you to maintain or even gain . It is a balancing act.
  • m4nd4bear
    Options
    First of all good job keeping up with
    your routine! Maybe you're gaining
    muscle weight? Which isn't bad at all!
    But if you're looking for more of a weight
    loss, I'd do more cardio and less lifting
    throughout the week. I've noticed I've
    had to do that a few times.
    Good luck :)!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Hmmm, sounds like something is off.

Could you be overestimating your calories burned, do you think? Or perhaps it's a logging issue - do you use a food scale in the kitchen.

Nice going with all the exercise, btw! :smile:
  • Cat232013
    Cat232013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It may be totally different but when I started my new 6 day a week routine/healthy eating I gained weight the first week or so as well. I actually had to up my calories a little, listen to the advice I was given and be patient and then my body adjusted - though I understand the frustration!!. I also didn't lose any inches for 2 weeks which was even more depressing.

It helped me just to think that it is mathematically and physically impossible to be gaining fat when eating at a reasonable calorie deficit. I don't know what your previous routine was like but I did virtually no exercise so for me it was most likely water retention and/or muscles swelling because they are unused to the intense work!

Good luck :)
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Is it that TOM? Most women will tack on a pound or two of water weight during that time but it gets flushed out pretty quick. Just keep at it, drink lots of water and maybe hold off on weighing for a couple days.
  • jcolier
    jcolier Posts: 64
    Options
    Open your food diary for people to look at. It's tough to give advice without knowing the whole picture!

Also, keep at it. One week doesn't make a trend.
  • cinyb
    cinyb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started doing Focus T25 on Monday of this week. Maybe the intense work outs are shocking my body? Lol or my body is rejecting trying to be healthy jk
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Well, unless you open your food diary, no one can help you. But just to speculate, it could be you're under-estimating the amount you're logging, over-estimating calories burned and eating back too many exercise calories, water retention, etc.
  • cinyb
    Options
    I don't eat back caloried was told not to by weight loss doctor. Also will open up my food diary so you guys can take a look.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you have over 100 lbs to lose, pick the 'lose 2 lb a week' setting and eat back your exercise calories.

Most importantly though, weigh all your food and log everything. But 1000-1100 net calories is just not enough for you IMO.
  • cinyb
    Options
    If you have over 100 lbs to lose, pick the 'lose 2 lb a week' setting and eat back your exercise calories.

Most importantly though, weigh all your food and log everything. But 1000-1100 net calories is just not enough for you IMO.

I'm supposed to be eating 1800 calories a day. This is based on calorimeter tests I've had done a my wieght loss doctor. Sometimes it feels like way to much to eat. Maybe I'll go back to eating that amount then and see what happens.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey - I noticed in your diary you have a lot of days when you don't log at all?

When you do log - it looks great though, pretty comprehensive, although I would advise you to use scales instead of cups/teaspoons (for accuracy) and perhaps don't use quick added calories any more.

Stick with - it's early days. :)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow Canadian:flowerforyou: spotted your spiced pumpkin latte from Timmy's. Anyway, often the answer is inaccurate logging/weighing of food. Do you have a digital scale? if not, I'd definitely get one. And start logging everyday, and try not to do the Quick Add calories. Here's an excellent thread on this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

And if you haven't read this yet, it is excellent as well:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. Having too few calories can cause you to maintain or even gain . It is a balancing act.

No. If you are in a calorie deficit in is impossible to gain weight. :grumble:

OP, likely water weight due to all the working out. Keep at it, it will come off.
  • supergirlpw
    supergirlpw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this today. It's exactly how I feel and it helps to know I am not the only one. I guess the ones who achieve their goals are the ones who stick to the plan no matter how discouraging things get. I'm still in.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this today. It's exactly how I feel and it helps to know I am not the only one. I guess the ones who achieve their goals are the ones who stick to the plan no matter how discouraging things get. I'm still in.
    Absolutely. Consistency is key. I ran across this a while back and thought it was pretty cool. It shows how sometimes weight fluctuations appear to be a plateau, but the how trend is downwards. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs?hl=Newbie+plateau&page=1#
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with water retention from working out for 6 days (unless that is something you've been doing for awhile). If that's the case, it will level out and go away.

I do think you should eat more, but I don't think that's why your weight went up.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Well, unless you open your food diary, no one can help you.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Good for you! I can also delete half of your response and take it completely out of context!!
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Hey - I noticed in your diary you have a lot of days when you don't log at all?

When you do log - it looks great though, pretty comprehensive, although I would advise you to use scales instead of cups/teaspoons (for accuracy) and perhaps don't use quick added calories any more.

Stick with - it's early days. :)

Oh look, you looked at the OP's diary and then responded...huh... but I thought open diaries aren't essential at all???!!!