Metabolism has stopped, help please.

Options
Hi, My name is Mike. I discovered My Fitness Pal in January of this year and thanks to it I have lost 96 pounds, the right way by seeing it as a life style change instead of a diet. Truthfully it has not been all that difficult. Now my delima.

About a month or 2 back I started walking daily and thats when my metabolism started slowing down, which makes no sense to me. Now I know that I'm building muscle from walking and muscle weighs more than fat but for at least the past month I havent lost anymore weight and its really getting frustrating.

Any tips or tricks you can share to restart my metabolism?

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Read this because your metabolism only stops when you are dead!

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/articles/metabolism.aspx
  • Bassnman
    Bassnman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont believe I'm dead............ HA!

Something to add, I have not been consuming anymore calories than I did when I first started my "Journey" but the amount of excercise has increased considerably, thats why I'm so confused
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are needing to eat MORE calories now that you have gained healthy lean muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat, therefore it is likely your caloric intake needs to increase as well to sustain your results. If you don't feed your body enough, it holds onto your calories to maintain itself, hence no weight loss....I am not for sure what your caloric intake is, or what your diet looks like, but this is just a suspicion. I am sure others will correct me if I am wrong, but this seem to be the case in most instances.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Well, I dont believe I'm dead............ HA!
    You're not certain that you're alive? :laugh:
  • ma1kenli
    Options
    That was my problem. I wasn't eating enough for the calories I needed to burn. Now I'm losing about 1.5 lbs a week. I also increased my exercise intensity.
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It might be easier to help if you open up your diary.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Mike. I discovered My Fitness Pal in January of this year and thanks to it I have lost 96 pounds, the right way by seeing it as a life style change instead of a diet. Truthfully it has not been all that difficult. Now my delima.

About a month or 2 back I started walking daily and thats when my metabolism started slowing down, which makes no sense to me. Now I know that I'm building muscle from walking and muscle weighs more than fat but for at least the past month I havent lost anymore weight and its really getting frustrating.

Any tips or tricks you can share to restart my metabolism?

Hi Mike,

Congrats, you've lost 96 pounds.:smile: Could this be a plateau?

Also, did you add exercise (walking) or did you replace another exercise with walking?

If you're not gaining, I suggest waiting it out or maybe adding some different exercise on some of your exercise days.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is probably just fine and you have hit your first plateau. They happen to everyone, and I've had many along the way. Be patient and keep doing what has worked for you so far. Make sure you're drinking enough water. All liquids are not created equal and nothing can substitute for the real H2O. Drink other things if you want and also drink water.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    first of all.... congratulations on losing 96 lbs!

I think the hint to your challenge is found in "I have not been consuming anymore calories than I did when I first started", Since you don't weight so much does it take fewer calories to maintain?

I have had to recalculate my target (aka goals) calories a couple of times. I noticed the more weight i loose, I need to recalculate my goals to keep loosing the same weight. For example, my goal is to loose 1 lb a week and MFP is telling me I need to eat 100 fewer calories now than when i started my journey.

48403347.png
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism has not slowed down. If you have kept a calorie deficit, you are still losing weight. Now that you are walking, the weight loss might have slowed a bit as it is more likely that you are burning fat rather than muscle. Burning muscle for fuel results in much faster weight loss than burning fat for fuel.

Also, make sure you keep updating your weight in MFP so it can adjust your calorie intake correctly.
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    first of all.... congratulations on losing 96 lbs!

I think the hint to your challenge is found in "I have not been consuming anymore calories than I did when I first started", Since you don't weight so much does it take fewer calories to maintain?

I have had to recalculate my target (aka goals) calories a couple of times. I noticed the more weight i loose, I need to recalculate my goals to keep loosing the same weight. For example, my goal is to loose 1 lb a week and MFP is telling me I need to eat 100 fewer calories now than when i started my journey.

48403347.png

This was my first thought, too. Sadly, your new smaller body burns fewer calories than before. If you haven't yet, make sure your current weight is reflected in your goals. Go to Settings, then Update diet/fitness profile and change your current weight.

Congratulations on an amazing loss!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    your metabolism hasn't stopped. you're alive!! 96 pounds is a lot of weight. can't see your diary so no detailed comments but your body has everything under control. if you're still exercising, eating and not GAINING fat. then everything is fine. trust your body's wisdom over your own.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You metabolism has not stopped and you will not have gained muscle from walking.

Do you weigh your food and accurately log it?

Have you adjusted your caloric intake since losing weight?

How many calories are you consuming on average?

Is walking your only exercise?

How much do you weigh?
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You metabolism has not stopped and you will not have gained muscle from walking.

How much do you weigh?

^ This lady knows her stuff.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options

How much do you weigh?

^^^^ why won't it build muscle?