Protein Shakes with Egg Whites (instead of milk). Thoughts?

Options
I've read some on here about how people will mix pasteurized egg whites into their protein shakes for some extra protein. I've thought about doing this, as i currently mix mine with either skim milk or 2% milk, and I wanted to cut back on the carbs/sugars provided by the milk.

However, I've heard that a high percentage of the protein from uncooked egg whites is not absorbed, and therefore wasted. Is there any merit to this? Would a change still be recommended?

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I wanted to cut back on the carbs/sugars provided by the milk.
    Cook some whole eggs, eat them and wash them down with a protein shake made with almond milk. Low carb & high protein.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    No Can Do. Sounds Horrible!
  • jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I guess I could do that...never really tried almond milk.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Why not just mix your protein with water instead of milk? Thats what I do. Mic with a few ice cubes and can barely taste the difference if its milk or water.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i do my protein shakes with almond milk. absolutely love it. mmmm now i want one right now.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wanted to cut back on the carbs/sugars provided by the milk.
    Cook some whole eggs, eat them and wash them down with a protein shake made with almond milk. Low carb & high protein.

This is what I do every morning with one boiled egg.
  • jovalleau
    Options
    Why not just mix your protein with water instead of milk? Thats what I do. Mic with a few ice cubes and can barely taste the difference if its milk or water.

It still tastes alright with water, and that's what I do if I want to save calories for something else, but with even skim milk whipped up in the blender is so damn good.
  • jovalleau
    Options
    i do my protein shakes with almond milk. absolutely love it. mmmm now i want one right now.

I will have to try the almond milk, then.
  • excitedaboutfitness
    Options
    I just do water and it still alright. Egg whites sounds terrible, but I haven't tried it. Unless someone offered me a solid amount of $$$, I don't think I'd be willing to try it. I suggest making the shake with water, and *then* eating some egg whites :-)
  • jovalleau
    Options
    So I bought some Almond milk and used it with my protein shake instead of skim milk. All I can say is:

It. Is. AWESOME!

It doesn't have the same milkshake-y consistency when even skim milk is used, but it also doesn't have the "watery" consistency when water is used. The taste is great!

Thanks for the suggestions, all!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Thoughts? Comments?

Gross. Your almond milk route is much better.
  • jovalleau
    Options
    Thoughts? Comments?

Gross. Your almond milk route is much better.

I know it sounds gross, but I've heard of others doing it and it not really altering the flavor of the shake, so I figured I'd ask.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why are so many people saying it is gross? I do this on a regular basis. You cannot taste the egg whites at all, and it gives the milkshake a creamy/foamy texture. Yum

1 scoop protein
    2 egg whites
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 teaspoon instant coffee.

YUM!
  • jovalleau
    Options
    Why are so many people saying it is gross? I do this on a regular basis. You cannot taste the egg whites at all, and it gives the milkshake a creamy/foamy texture. Yum

1 scoop protein
    2 egg whites
    1/2 frozen banana

YUM!

Banana AND Coffee? Interesting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

1 scoop protein
    2 egg whites
    1/2 frozen banana

YUM!

Banana AND Coffee? Interesting.

Why so interesting? If I have coffee made from grounds, I use that. Double whammy for the potassium. :smile:
  • jovalleau
    Options

Why so interesting? If I have coffee made from grounds, I use that. Double whammy for the potassium. :smile:

Just seems to be an interesting flavor combo.
  • Tuteur
    Tuteur Posts: 4
    Options
    I mix pasteurized egg whites with a little bit of water and oats for texture all the time. I've never heard anywhere that "a high percentage of the protein from uncooked egg whites is not absorbed" simply because it's been blended with whey. You will absorb just about every gram of protein over a longer period of time. Egg whites are an excellent source of protein.

EDIT* - I nuke the water before mixing in in the A.M.