Frozen Meals...horrible family

Options
My dilemma is that if I buy fresh food and stuff to cook and maintain a healthy lifestyle my family ends up eating it before I am back from work. So what I do now is make sandwiches all the time to eat and maybe ramen. I was curious if there are some better choices in the frozen area that would be ok to eat. Ive had healthy choice smart ones and lean cuisine. Was wondering if these are good or if theres others better than this. Thanks for the info.

Before people freak I understand frozen meals are insanely high in sodium but with my dad and bro eating my food it makes this weight loss thing hard as heck.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    What would stop them from eating your frozen meals?

What do they say about eating your food when you ask them to stop? Can they contribute to the grocery budget so you can just buy more food for everyone?

You can eat anything you want from the frozen meals so long as you hit your calorie goals and lose weight. For health, also hit your protein and fat goals.
  • chrisbulmer1
    Options
    They don't say anything, just sit there and not really answer. The budget is horrible. We are behind on everything so we shop at the dollar stores for the most part. This week I spent 45 dollars on food, they usually spend 150 a week on food. They buy chips and salty snack foods. They do what they want really lol.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    You can also buy tons of frozen veggies for cheap. They are just as healthy as the fresh ones, if not more so. When you are ready for them, roast them with some olive oil. They are delicious that way. Add your protein and you've just had a good meal with veggies, protein, and fat.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Buy a small refrigerator and put a lock on it. You can get them from Walmart for about $100. Look on the Walmart website or contact a store near you that sells small refrigerators. Lots of students have them in their dorms plus my office has one. You can keep it in your room. It shouldn't use that much electricity. I don't know where to buy the lock but I know they exist because my office has one of those, too.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I don't know the circumstances of your situation but your profile says you are 27 years old. You're an adult and should be able to confront them about this.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I like Amy's (something or other - maybe Kitchen?). It is sometimes located in a different area in the frozen food (try gluten free or vegetarian area). I m neither, but I found that I like a lot of it. Just watch out because sometimes you see a calorie count that is acceptable, but then find there are two servings in the package. Also, Kashi has some nice selections. I don't eat enough of them to worry about sodium or other macros, so can't provide guidance about that. These are more emergency rations for me. Good luck!
  • chrisbulmer1
    Options
    Yea i got a small fridge on my room and I keep dry food in my dresser like bread granola bars and such. But they will come in here and eat it whenever I am gone.
  • chrisbulmer1
    Options
    I work at a grocery store, the Amys and Kashi look real good but are insanely expensive.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    With them taking your food and not caring, I think you'd have to worry about spending money on frozen meals, which are often pricier due to the convenience factor, because they will probably eat those too.

Try buying pasta, rice, oatmeal, potatoes, and dried beans. Those are all cheap in bulk. You can make lots of different tasting dishes with pasta or rice and some frozen veggies. Salad dressing works well to make a different pasta meals.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    They don't say anything, just sit there and not really answer. The budget is horrible. We are behind on everything so we shop at the dollar stores for the most part. This week I spent 45 dollars on food, they usually spend 150 a week on food. They buy chips and salty snack foods. They do what they want really lol.

I spend about $100 a month on food for myself, one person (that's $25 a week). I eat steel cut oats with sliced apple for breakfast, dried lentils with brown rice and vegetables for lunch and dinner. Lentils are really cheap (99 cents to $1.20 for a bag that will make about 4 meals). Editing this to add that lentils are high protein -- one cup has 18 g (the same as 3 eggs). You don't have to soak them, either. I eat all fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. Also, if you have a Latino/Mexican grocery in your town, check it out, because their vegetables are often half the price of the chain grocery stores.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Yea i got a small fridge on my room and I keep dry food in my dresser like bread granola bars and such. But they will come in here and eat it whenever I am gone.

If you can't move out, install a lock on your door. That's ridiculously disrespectful.
  • HollisGrant
    Options

Buy a lock and use it. They make locks for refrigerators.
  • chrisbulmer1
    Options
    Oh wow, yea we do have a massive Mexican store. Ive heard good things Ill have to check it out.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I work at a grocery store, the Amys and Kashi look real good but are insanely expensive.

Buy some of the good stuff, and then buy and make your own. Instead of ramen, just get a 1lb of spaghetti, some butter and parmasan cheese, mix with some frozen veggies. You can freeze it in ziplocks and take it with you. this will feed you for a week!

Also--Put a lock on your door, or keep non-perishable foods in your car/at work.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    One more idea. Do you have a car? If so, get a container and keep your granola bars and other dried items in your car. It's winter now, and depending on where you live, your car is like a refrigerator anyway. I would get a dark container with a lid and keep it in the trunk or back seat where it wouldn't attract attention (don't have loose stuff in the car where it can be seen through the windows). I would try to move out!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If you can't move out, install a lock on your door. That's ridiculously disrespectful.

I'd freaking flip if they did that after I requested them not to.

Buy a lock for EVERYTHING and tell them to grow the eff up.
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    The car trunk if you have it and the weather is ok is a GREAT idea. Just make sure it's in a SOLID sealable plastic container. Otherwise... critters always find a way.

If you have a locker at work, and it doesn't break policy, keep what you can in there. If you have a close, understanding friend who lives nearby, that may be a helpful stop gap and alternate food storage.

When you have the time and cash, scrounge for a second hand foot locker and a good lock.

Last of all - move out when you can. Family or not, either they're not showing you respect, or they're not reining in the younger ones and teaching them respect. Sometimes a little distance is best so they don't drive you bat@#$# crazy.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    The car trunk if you have it and the weather is ok is a GREAT idea. Just make sure it's in a SOLID sealable plastic container. Otherwise... critters always find a way.

If you have a locker at work, and it doesn't break policy, keep what you can in there. If you have a close, understanding friend who lives nearby, that may be a helpful stop gap and alternate food storage.

When you have the time and cash, scrounge for a second hand foot locker and a good lock.

Last of all - move out when you can. Family or not, either they're not showing you respect, or they're not reining in the younger ones and teaching them respect. Sometimes a little distance is best so they don't drive you bat@#$# crazy.

This^. They're rude ~ I'm so very sorry.
  • HollisGrant
    Options
    One last thought about the car. Don't let them know you keep food in the car. When you are at work, go through your stuff and put what you need in a small bag or backpack to take into the house -- don't do that at home in the driveway. Good luck. Move out soon!
  • chrisbulmer1
    Options
    Car is a no go cause even though it is my car they use it more often since its only one we got. Its my house as well but they moved down here when they couldn't afford their old place. Locks are the best bet or just move out. My best pal has been yelling at me for ages to man up and tell them how it is but I just cant do it. Dad and bro are all the family I got. Just sucks cause I haven't lived a life yet or done what I want to do cause ive always been with them and never been out and about. Had to get a job at 14 to help pay for the bills and mortgage cause mom and dad at the time couldn't afford it. So instead of living or hanging out with friends I worked. Then mom died 6 yrs ago at thanksgiving and they never did the things mom did like shopping bill paying and general upkeep of the house so I stayed and did it. Just frustrating as hell. Sorry for going on and on but had to vent. I thank you all for the info and such.
    Thanks