Bunion surgery. Who's had it?

Options
So I'm being referred by the doctors to go for a consultation about my painful bunion on my foot.
I may or may not need surgery but my doctor thinks I most likely will.

Can any of you who have had the surgery share your experience with me?
How long was you off your feet for?
How long till you could exercise again?
How did you cope not being able to exercise?
Did you restrict calories? Gain? Still lose?

At the moment in close to goal weight (not goal appearance, I want to tone up) and currently doing T25 and C25K
I'm really worried if I do get the surgery I'm going to go a million steps backwards.

Sorry for the million questions. I'm a huge worry wart.

Replies

• Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • rhapsodygirl
    Options
    I've had it done on both feet, but that was a long time ago. I had my foot in a cast for quite some time, so what I did for exercise was instead of using crutches in the house, I would hop on my good foot/leg. I managed to get around pretty well while hopping :) Got my heart rate up!

Good luck on your surgery. I loaded up on vitamin C to help with the healing.
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your reply! Hopping is a great idea :)
    There's no way I can rest much with a little one lol
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    I had bunion surgery on my left foot about 12 years ago. I wasn't dieting or working out at the time. It had gotten to the point where I could not wear any shoes without pain. The surgery was successful and not too painful. I think I wore a boot for about 3 weeks.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I had one foot done when I was in high school - so quite a while ago... At that time, it was very painful and I don't think I would get my second foot done now because I'm just so scared.

My aunt had it done in the past 5 years and I'm guessing techniques and such have changed as she said there was no pain.

I'm glad I've had it done because now I can buy normal shoes, I can run, I can do anything I want.
  • kristyrae24
    kristyrae24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 and had my left foot operated on 8 years ago when I was in high school. I was t working out at the time but I was in all the sports at my school. I had my surgery in late January and finally got rid of crutches and the boot and was able to wear normal shoes the second week in May. It is a loNg process for recovery time--atleast it was for me. From my first surgery I have had to have 2 more surgeries done on the same foot because of how Severe it was-the last 2 were nothing compared to the first one though. I need to get my other foot done but I don't think I want to anymore. Recovery time is the worst part with restrictions. Good luck with everything though!
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    Options
    They do it different now, usually they do a procedure called tightrope. You should be able to walk the next day! I had a friend who had it done and she said it was wayyy better than she expected.

I have to get mine done sometime soon I'm just waiting.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had one foot done last year. My procedure was a bit more invasive than many so I was casted and nonweightbearing for a month followed by an air cast for another month. Around week 6 I started walking very slowly for short distances on the treadmill in the air cast and upped speed and distance pretty quick without problems. I was able to wear running shoes at week 8 and I started slow running short distances outside week 9. Well worth it b/c I had significant discomfort walking and especially running. Very happy with outcome and will need to do my other foot eventually. Many people have a simpler procedure and are on a walking cast/shoe immediately with an even quicker timeline. Good luck!

Edited to add I just watched what I ate to avoid falling into mindless eating out of the sheer boredom of recovery. But I didn't want to restrict b/c I figured my body needed sufficient calories to heal up. Didn't gain or lose and I'd say I returned to previous fitness level in about 2-3 months after I was completely back to regular workouts.