Trouble toning!!

Options
I've been slowly losing since the beginning of the year. I'm currently at 107 5'1. I've been working out a couple times a week, doing cardio and light weights, adding in butt exercises and different types of crunches. My diet's not bad either. I eat pretty healthy and I always stay in range of my goals. I think I actually look pretty decent but I still see softness in certain places. My arms especially need more tone. My abs. And I could probably get rid of another couple pounds of fat also. Can someone please help me out because I want to feel better about this but I really don't think I will unless I look a little bit leaner. 107 is already a low number so why do I still look a bit 'flabby'. Do I just need to stick it out? More working out? I could really use some advice here.

Replies

• silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    You need to lift heavy.

I recommend New Rules of Lifting For Women.

There are exercise routines in the book. It's a great read too.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You need to lift heavy.

I recommend New Rules of Lifting For Women.

There are exercise routines in the book. It's a great read too.

^ This, having muscle will make you more tone and tight.
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    But will it make my muscles too big? I've heard from everywhere do light weights more reps, and then I've also heard heavier but less reps. I use 8 pounds right now. I want as lean as I can get. I just want it tight. I don't want muscles that stand out. Would lifting heavy still apply to this?
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    But will it make my muscles too big?

No. Just no. As long as you are eating at a deficit you won't gain muscle mass - you'll help preserve the mass you do have. Sure you might get some newbie gains but you're not going to turn into Mr. Olympia.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy does not make you buff or bulky, eating more calories does. Heres a good video to watch, this guy is a nautural bodybuilder and in the video are the women he trains.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn5yIqFeGlU
  • kristibluefood
    kristibluefood Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I agree that you definitely need to lift heavier weights. That will not only firm and tighten the soft spots, but will also shrink your body size and hugely improve your shape! I'm actually 20 pounds heavier than my lowest adult body weight, but am still a size smaller than I was back then because I started exercising smarter (lifting heavy) and also eating smarter (more whole foods and less processed). Iived on Lean Cuisines back then, yikes! Those two changes alone should give you noticeable results in a month or less if you really focus and are consistent!

Kristi
  • ryandeceptacon
    ryandeceptacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Truly misinformed.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This chick lifts heavy - pic on the left, mostly cardio, pic on the right is after she started barbell training. Does she look bulky? :tongue:
    8464964837_5fa3aed06b.jpg
    Heck NO - she looks awesome!

Read her story here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    And her most current update here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/

If you want a firm body, go for heavier weights. :smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Well, let's say you did start seeing a muscle get bigger than you liked -- just hypothetically! You could always cut back on the load and have it return really darned quickly to your normal size. Like really, depressingly quickly, lol. It's not like the muscles grow and stay there on their own. It takes a plan to keep them that way, and it's quite easy to have gains go away.

Basically, I think heavy lifting is just much quicker than 'toning'. And light weights may never do enough, after a TON of work. With shooting for growth, you get there fast with the muscle you have and find how hard it is to actually add more muscle. It's so much faster time-wise, too, like how long the sessions have to be.