I want to lift HEAVY(ish)!! At home advice?

Options
2»

Replies

• Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I just use dumbbells and ankle weights at home and my muscles seem to coming along just fine at the moment. I don't have any bench or rack but I seem to be getting more definition and a 'V' on my back....I'm excited! lol
  • nebjennison
    Options
    iv gone up 70lbs on my dead lift and 50 on my bench using the German volume taring method
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I know true heavy is the only way to get results I've seen.

there is no one and only way to do anything.

if space is truly the biggest factor, i'd go with the suspension trainer as suggested. Usually pretty cheap, probably the most versitile... and if you can only get 8 or less reps out of a movement then your lifting heavy in my book.

I disagree that you can't lift heavy without a bench. lots of compound, olympic type lifts dont require a rack or bench. obviously your typical squats and bench press are out though.

if your dead set on weights and space is the biggest issue, you could consider the bowflex adjustable dumbells or something similair. you could lift heavy(ish) with those. idk the smaller set goes up to 50 lbs each that doesn't sound like a bad starter set
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    i'd go with the suspension trainer as suggested.
    Agreed. I have dumbbells, a pull up bar and a suspension trainer. If I could only use one piece of gear it would be the suspension trainer. The suspension trainer is offers flexibility in varying the intensity of the exercises. Fortunately I'm not limited to using just one piece of gear. The different pieces of gear compliment one another. As a plus, I can easily fit it all in a closet when it's not in use.
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you to each and every one of you. I'm definitely going to research all your suggestions and see what's best suited for me.

In good health-
    Jen
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am doing Strong Lifts. I have a bar and lots of weights. No bench no squat rack. I use the bar table to do my OHP, 2 big storage tubs to set the bar while doing squats and I do bench presses on my universal gym set. Been doing this consistently for 7 weeks and to be honest i wish i seen more results but im just like that - impatient. The program is 12 weeks and i hope im completely satisfied by the end of it. Current stats are:
    OHP 50lbs
    BP 60lbs
    Squats 80lbs
    Deads 140lbs
    BR 70lbs
  • 1ronbutterfly
    Options
    Bump!