60 Pounds Down - Finished My First Half Marathon (Pic)

Options
delvin2
delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
What a difference a year makes. I came to Syracuse, NY overweight, out of shape, and eating poorly. Decided to do something about my weight in February of 2013. I used MFP religiously up until summer of 2013...go a little slack after a couple of business trips in July. I still eat far better than I did prior to February 2013. My wife and I finished Insanity in June and started running.

Last week I entered my first half marathon with a goal of finishing under 2 hours. I DIT IT! I finished with a net time of 1:58:28! I haven't reached my goal weight due to not logging my meals. I've maintained my weight throughout the summer. I can definitely see the difference from a year ago. Only about six more pounds to lose.

September 2012
b34b794a-3a96-4c86-9a74-0bc801c7b9f2_zps3345c0d5.jpg

October 20, 2013 - Empire State Half Marathon
IMG_9041_zps1240102a.jpg

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!! Congrats on the first half marathon :D

Good luck in your continued fitness goals!
  • delvin2
    Options
    Thank you @emilyc85 - I'll keep plugging away and you do the same. It's worth it.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! :-)
  • IvyRose8
    IvyRose8 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Let me see if I got this straight... You began running this past June and now ran a half marathon?? And did it in under 2 hours?? I certainly hope you're planning on running a full sometime! You've got what it takes!

I began running in June (of 2012) and it was October before I could run an entire 5K without any walking breaks. I trained so hard but I'm just slow to progress. I still had my sights set on doing a full but I ended up pregnant. :) Now I'm trying to make my comeback.

You look amazing and you are quite the inspiration! Save that bib and medal!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thank you @emilyc85 - I'll keep plugging away and you do the same. It's worth it.

Thank you!! :D
  • DECFIRST2013
    Options
    way to go:drinker:
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! That's some serious progress in such a short period of time. You and your family look happier too! I started running this past June and did my third 5K race today, and am looking to move on up to a 10K race soon. For your half marathon, what kind of training distances are you doing on your long runs?
  • delvin2
    Options
    @VillageJen - To be honest, I never thought about how quickly I've progressed. I keep asking, how can I get faster and run longer? I think my sights are on a full for next year maybe. I want to get more half marathons under my belt. I don't think I'll be disappointed if I don't reach a full next year, but I MUST do one before age 40. I keep all my bibs and medals. They are on my bulletin board in my office. I never thought I would be a "runner"....NEVER. Now I'm addicted.
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    Options
    Way to go!!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half marathon! (And, might I say, that your kids are adorable. :smile: ) You've had an amazing 2013 both in terms of your weight loss and your race today. You should be incredibly proud of yourself! :drinker:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I'm planning for my 1st half and you are such an inspiration!
  • emmawoolf84
    emmawoolf84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment!!! You look wonderful.
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Very inspirational!
  • delvin2
    Options
    Wow! Just wow! That's some serious progress in such a short period of time. You and your family look happier too! I started running this past June and did my third 5K race today, and am looking to move on up to a 10K race soon. For your half marathon, what kind of training distances are you doing on your long runs?

@lucasmoten - I prefer the long distance runs, because I find the 5Ks a bit discouraging because I'm surrounded by folks who run 5 and 6 minute mile times. I fell in love with the Nike + app. Getting the mileage trophies on the app drove me to running more and longer distances. I count June as my real start date, but I did run 30 miles total in May...then 60 in June...100 in July...100 in August...and 60 in September. I'm at 60 for October at the moment. I can't say that I trained in any format. In fact, I can up almost two miles short on my first personal attempt to run a half on my own. A good running week for me is 18 to 25 miles. I'll do two or three 3.1 to 4 mile runs before work M--W...rest on Thursday...run 7 to 10 miles on Friday afternoon...and either 5 or 6 miles on Saturday or Sunday. I monitor my mile times a lot. After long runs, I stay around 9min/mile...but on short runs, I try to stay under 8'30"/mile. I want to get to the 7 minute range by next year.
  • IvyRose8
    IvyRose8 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean about never having expected to be a runner. Same here. I also totally understand becoming addicted. Same here. Running becomes not something that you do, but who you are. Even when I couldn't run because of pregnancy complications I still thought of myself as a runner.

Don't worry about speed at 5Ks! I run about a 10 minute mile and I'm never last. :)
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Freakin' awesome work! Looks great. You have the tools to lose those last 6 lbs - after the 50+ lbs you already lost. That is like a bag of cement you are no longer carrying! Once you do a bit more time with a calorie deficit and lose those 6, you can go to your maintenance caloric intake (for your new weight and activity level) and stay there.

Keep it up! This is a new start for your lifestyle, and the best is yet to come!

Robert
  • CanadaLiz
    CanadaLiz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! Fantastic work!!

I just started running a few weeks ago (doing a couch to 5k). I don't have a 1/2 marathon or marathon goal at the moment - would just like to be able to run a 5k and not puke. Hoping to get back to doing a Tri next fall.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    You have done a WONDERFUL job!! And with your wife, too--kudos!! Tell her congrats for doing this, especially INSANITY, with you from us.

And you have DARLING kids!!

Congrats to you!!
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wonderful achievement! Congratulations!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Becoming fit is fabulous. Congratulations.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!