Ways to get more protein?

Options
I'm a college student who is living on campus and I'm looking for ways to get more protein in my diet.
I have lost close to 30lbs and I want to lose another 10-20 more. I also am looking to increase my muscle mass and that why is I am looking for easy ways to add more protein in my diet. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• TwistDSG
    TwistDSG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student too who had the same problem. Often times, the dining hall has good protein choices like grilled chicken. Sometimes, I buy 2 cans of tuna fish which has 40g of protein. I like to mix and match sometimes but if worse comes to worst, opt for those fried chicken patties that every school has. Maybe try protein shakes too if you feel you aren't meeting you daily protein goals. Hoped I helped a little.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Almonds but beware - they have a high fat level but really good for protein. Maybe eat 7 or so.

Eggs (take a boiled egg with you), Cans of Tuna. I really like John West Tuna with Beans (very high in Omega 3 good for weight loss plus a lot of protein as it's fish)

Chobani Greek Yoghurt is really good at around 16+ grams of protein per tub and less than 200cals!

Then you obviously have protein snacks and shakes.

Sandwiches with chicken breast and turkey too.

Here is a great site I like to refer to:
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, soy, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, etc.

Outside of regular foods like that you can make protein shakes with skim milk. The one I use is 200 calories and 32g of protein with 8oz of skim milk.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Almond milk + protein shake powder works really well if you have limited access to a fridge. The milk doesn't spoil as quickly as cow's milk. I have successfully traveled with it and it's good at room temperature if consumed on the same day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    without saying how much protein you're currently eating and where you're primarily getting it from this is just shooting in the dark.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Lean meats: chicken, fish, shrimp, scallops, turkey
    Cheese (2 light string cheese= 100 cal/10 grams protein)
    Roasted edamame (14 grams protein/oz)
    Greek yogurt
    Kashi Go Lean cereals
    Nuts (need to watch cals & fats!): almonds & pistachios are best
    Beans
    Eggs
    Good steak (I have a 6 oz filet or sirloin once a week)

Alternatives: protein powder (I like Syntrax Nectar Caribbean Cooler, Vanilla Bean Torte or Chocolate Truffle) can be added to water, milk, yogurt, coffee (think cafe mocha), etc. Protein bars (I prefer Quest, especially chocolate chip cookie dough).

If you make a salad add 4-5 oz of chicken breast or shrimp, 1 oz roasted edamame & 1 oz feta cheese = 40 grams of protein easily.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Homemade protein smoothies
    Peanut butter
    Almonds
    Dried edamame
    Pumpkin seeds
    Turkey pepperettes
    Baby Bell cheese
    Skim milk
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    without saying how much protein you're currently eating and where you're primarily getting it from this is just shooting in the dark.

This.

Also, lol@almonds.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - eggs, greek yoghurt, or cottage cheese based. Or smoked fish (salmon, trout, mackerel)
    Lunch - cheese salad, bean stew
    Dinner - chicken breast or steak with veggies
    Snacks - cheese, humous, nuts
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Spoons, forks and knives. Fingers work well too.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Also, lol@almonds.

Why laugh at almonds? My macros are set to 80% fat, 10% carbs, and 10% protein. I eat nothing but almonds and hit my macros every day...
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Also, lol@almonds.

Why laugh at almonds? My macros are set to 80% fat, 10% carbs, and 10% protein. I eat nothing but almonds and hit my macros every day...

Genius.... if I switch the carbs and fat I could live entirely off of easy mac and chef boyardee. I'm in.
  • chelseac1014
    chelseac1014 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I was only looking for suggestions that's why I didn't include the amount of protein that I am eating.
    But if you can look at my food diary to get an average amount of protein that I eat weekly.

Also thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate it :)
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 1 gram/pound of lean body mass (LBM). For most women that is 100-125 grams/day of protein. Fats should 0.4 grams/pound LBM & carbs are what is left. For me, I "custom set" my calories & macro. My ratios are 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • jess17587
    jess17587 Posts: 153
    Options
    Ok most of the people here aren't helping by giving you dense calorie foods with medium protein for the calories your intaking
    I advise you don't go for cheese or nuts regularly and eggs are only okay if boiled in my opinion because it is a waste to fry.
    So if you want a lot of protein instead try fish like tuna, prawns, salmon and sometimes mackerel because they are low in fat OR high containing good fats and are also a very good source of protein.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I was only looking for suggestions that's why I didn't include the amount of protein that I am eating.
    But if you can look at my food diary to get an average amount of protein that I eat weekly.

Also thanks to everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate it :)

i tried to do that before i posted but your diary is locked.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Also, lol@almonds.

This made me laugh and then gag imagining it coming out the other end. :laugh: :sick:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Eggs can only be boiled or fried? Puh-lease.

I scamble mine in the microwave. Usually one whole egg and one egg white (whites are another way of upping the protein for very few calories)

I add spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, sometimes a little bit of cheese. No oils or butter required. Poached eggs are also very nice.

You can also bake them in teh oven in little ham cups, and they can be added to other meals as well in various ways.