Going over your calorie needs for the day?

Options
I just started recording everything that I eat here on myfitnesspal but it always turns out that I go over my daily calories. How do you guys eat and feel satisfied consuming foods that are within your calorie limits?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    what kinds of foods have you been eating? looks like your diary is closed.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just started recording everything that I eat here on myfitnesspal but it always turns out that I go over my daily calories. How do you guys eat and feel satisfied consuming foods that are within your calorie limits?

Me too :( Mine is a boredom/distraction problem.

Protein is your best friend for keeping full for longer. Since I've started incorporating a lot more protein in my diet I don't feel very hungry. Complex carbs too as they take longer to break down and keep your insulin levels more balanced.

Nuts (but be very careful with fat content) also keep you very satiated and raw almonds are a good source of portable protein. With nuts you don't want to eat more than 20-30grams due to the fat content.

Another thing in my pantry which I haven't gotten to using much are to use protein/or other shakes that keep you full, for snacks. They are calorie controlled at less than 200calories.

A piece of fruit is always good too when managing calories - adding an apple is only around 80cals.

Other low calorie foods that I find helpful are: LaZuppa soups, Chobani yoghurts, Multigrain corn thins.

Perhaps try limiting your main meals (Brekkie, Lunch & Dinner) to between 300 - 400 calories and any snacks to no more than 200 calories.
  • Marrowshard
    Options
    How many calories are you shooting for? Helps if your diary's available for us to look at :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal to lose 2 lbs a week to begin with it's likely it set you at 1200 cals a day which, honestly, is too low for a good part of the population anyway. If that's the case it's no wonder you go over.

Also, if you have a pretty standard number, there's a good chance you'll go just slightly over once in a while. Despite the app not congratulating you for that, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd only get worried if you go systematically over 2000-3000 cals a day (and are not a guy doing serious weight lifting)! -- as a general rule. It's hard to know without a gender and some basic stats how much you should be eating.
  • mrsslls
    mrsslls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Water is your best friend!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal to lose 2 lbs a week to begin with it's likely it set you at 1200 cals a day which, honestly, is too low for a good part of the population anyway. If that's the case it's no wonder you go over.

Also, if you have a pretty standard number, there's a good chance you'll go just slightly over once in a while. Despite the app not congratulating you for that, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

I'd only get worried if you go systematically over 2000-3000 cals a day (and are not a guy doing serious weight lifting)! -- as a general rule. It's hard to know without a gender and some basic stats how much you should be eating.

QFT
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It may be that what MFP has set for you, isn't enough.

1200 calories is usually not enough for most people, therefore, they always go over their daily calories. I was going over mine almost every day (I had it at 1390 or something like that) so I changed it to aim for not losing as much weight per week & now I don't usually go over.
  • johnhubbs
    johnhubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Protein and complex Carbs with about 100OZ water daily
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Protein, hot tea and lots of water. Apples fill me up too.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options

QFT

^This!

Also, maybe it would be easier for you to see it as a 'weekly goal' instead of daily? Like, I know for sure, I'm not going eat the same stuff every day. So, sometimes I'm going to be over and sometimes I'm going to be under. Don't kick your own *kitten* just because you went over on one day. I had a low Tuesday and a high Friday this week, and it still all balances out for the week.

If you're over every single day, you simply need to set a higher caloric goal. Not everyone can or should cut 1000 calories a day.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There is so much the OP hasn't told us (for instance, how many calories their goal is, how much they weigh and how much they want to lose etc) however as a blanket statement, most people don't have to go to 1200 calories to lose weight, and a lot of people don't have to go as low as that to drop 2lbs a week. MFP isn't perfect in its numbers and lots of people can lose more than it tells them it will even eating more than the 'recommendation'.

OP, have a look at your goal, if you feel like you're not getting enough on what your current goal is (hence going over), then reassess. Maybe have a look at a few of the roadmap threads and look at upping your goal to start with. You will then have room to adjust down if you plateau at some point.

*edit: grammatical error!
  • Peachy1962
    Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Protein ,veggies, fiber, water!! I do find hot ta to help make me feel like I have just eaten something!! I use Nature's Own double fiber 50 cal bread and light mayo!! You larn as you go where you can cut cals to make the stretch!!

Good Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • my_health02
    Options
  • my_health02
    Options

QFT

^This!

Also, maybe it would be easier for you to see it as a 'weekly goal' instead of daily? Like, I know for sure, I'm not going eat the same stuff every day. So, sometimes I'm going to be over and sometimes I'm going to be under. Don't kick your own *kitten* just because you went over on one day. I had a low Tuesday and a high Friday this week, and it still all balances out for the week.

If you're over every single day, you simply need to set a higher caloric goal. Not everyone can or should cut 1000 calories a day.

Setting it as a weekly go is very ideal! Thanks!! :)
  • my_health02
    Options
    Thank you guys for all your answers! I have to reassess my goal and make it more realistic and doable. :)
  • my_health02
    Options

Thanks! This is so helpful! I think I have to reassess my goal. Changing my daily calorie intake to 1200 drastically isn't very doable for me at this moment. Like what you've said, it's also very low for most people. Again, thank you!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

I rarely go over my calorie limits anymore because I am set to lose .5 pounds a week for the last 10 pounds (now 8 left to lose) and I have plenty of calorie allowance. I eat as much non-processed food as I can, lots of protein to help me stay full, smaller meals six times a day. I eat things like fish, chicken, some red meat, fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, brown rice, and cook as much of my food as I can. I plan ahead so I know exactly what I will eat for the day.

What is your calorie allotment? What type of foods do you eat? If you open your diary for viewing we might be able to offer suggestions.