I think I might have food poisoning. (TMI)

Options
Me and my mom went eat to a local diner last night arounds 8:30. I ordered a breakfast diced ham and scrambled eggs, it comes with hash brown and pancakes. I woke up the am feeling terrible like I had to vomit. I was nauseated all day. I was hoping it would pass, like through pooping or vomiting. Nothing happened. In fact I do not have diarrhea at all. It's like I am almost constipated but My tummy hurts and my back hurts really bad, I feel like I have to puke. I've never had food poisoning before so this is new to me. Now that I think about it. My eggs were a lil soft and so were my pancakes. Idk what I should do? I am trying to avoid a trip to the hospital. Please don't be a jerk, I am serious and if you aren't please leave this post alone!

Replies

• kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    hey there! if you had food poisoning you would definitely know it! it feels like you're on your death bed! you might just have a little stomach bug.
  • NorthernGrandma7
    NorthernGrandma7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Food poisoning happens very quickly . You would have had symptoms last night.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    If it is food poisoning - it will pass. Vomit and poop is normal. I have had it in the past and it pretty much involves feeling terrible cramps all day, puking, on the crapper, just over-all HORRIBLE.

It passes. Drink LOTS of water, liquid foods to help flush. I know sometimes it may even feel hard to eat anything at all, since you may just puke it up - it is fine, just let it happen.

If it lasts more than 24 hours - see your doctor.
  • kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    well what i really meant was it was er worthy....if there isnt any blood when you go the restroom or vomit, you should be okay to just wait it out.
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got food poisoning twice this month from local restaurants. The first time it felt like a flu for 1 day. The second day and third day I felt like I was going to die. I lost 7 pounds in those 3 days. I was bathroom bound for 12 days total. ended up losing 11 pounds total during this sickness and I was eating plenty to not lose. Doctor said there is a nothing she could do about food poisoning and to wait it out. Maybe your doctor cares more than mine. go see your doctor. I don't know that i would go to the hospital though, but that decision is yours.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    well what i really meant was it was er worthy....if there isnt any blood when you go the restroom or vomit, you should be okay to just wait it out.
    A lil mucus not much but no blood
  • jmcport
    jmcport Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Those sound like gall bladder symptoms. Can come on after a high fat/high protein meal. Call your doctor or go to urgent care if it doesn't subside after a day or two, or gets worse or you develop a fever or dark urine. Stick to liquids until you can tolerate more, and take it easy on the all-at-once fats. Been there, so I sympathize. It's what got me to MFP. :)
  • ToolRat
    ToolRat Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds like how I felt when I had a kidney stone.
  • Toshad84
    Toshad84 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad case of gas. if you have either ginger ale or just a piece of ginger that should help.Are you have sharp stomach pains? If so that may be something else altogether. If so you may want to go to Urgent care or Er if it does not subside. I hope that you fell better.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Food poisoning happens very quickly . You would have had symptoms last night.

Um, no.

Some food poisoning hits fast, some takes days. Depends on the contaminant, dosage, and the individual who's infected.

OP, go the doctor if it doesn't clear up quickly, if you're passing blood in either direction, if you can't keep liquids down, or if you need something for pain. They can also help with nausea, if that becomes a problem for you. Be aware that those symptoms may or may not mean food poisoning. Could be a stomach virus, could be any number of other things like the gall bladder problems the previous poster mentioned.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    Sounds like a bad case of gas. if you have either ginger ale or just a piece of ginger that should help.Are you have sharp stomach pains? If so that may be something else altogether. If so you may want to go to Urgent care or Er if it does not subside. I hope that you fell better.
    It's like a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. And in the lower part if my back. Like ya know if u have to a tummy ache and you really need to go, that's how I feel except I can't go. Like I can go sit on a toilet for a good 15 minutes and nothing happens. I feel the need to vomit but nothing is coming up. I took some pepto-bismol around 4:50 to help with the nausea but it really didn't. I took a nap about 30 minutes and felt a lil better than as soon as I got moving I felt the same all over again.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    It's like a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. And in the lower part if my back.
    This sounds a lot like a kidney stone. How's your water intake? Drinking extra water helped me clear out some stones when I had them last year - I was fortunate not to require any other treatment. But they hurt like an SOB passing through.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    It's like a sharp pain in my lower abdomen. And in the lower part if my back.
    This sounds a lot like a kidney stone. How's your water intake? Drinking extra water helped me clear out some stones when I had them last year - I was fortunate not to require any other treatment. But they hurt like an SOB passing through.
    Honestly, not good if it means anything, probably does, my diet isn't as well. Lots of fast food????
  • Toshad84
    Toshad84 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would check to see if you may have gallstones. Gallstones are no fun ( I can attest to that). Do you eat a lot of greasy food? Do you have any burning sensation in your stomach also? Either way I would go to urgent care or Er a.sa.p. Again I hope that you feel better.