I really want to lose the weight asap.

Options
Hey everyone, so i'm completely new to this website and i'm really hoping that this will help me finally reach my weight loss goals. i'm not very active at all nor do i like most physical activity lol except for dance! which i've always wished i could do. Anyway, i'm 4'11 and 116 lbs, and very insecure. I was really hoping to lose the weight by december so my question is, is it possible to lose 20 lbs in 2 or 3 months? have any of you done it? if not, how long has it taken you to lose this much weight? I'd REALLY appreciate the help!

Replies

• MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    . . .

I'm going to venture out on a limb here and say, no. For your height and weight, absolutely not safe for you to try to lose 20 lbs in 2-3 months.

For your height, you're already a normal weight. If you don't like your shape, exercise for body sculpting, but feed the burn. (That means eat back exercise calories.)
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    Nope not healthy at all. You are at a healthy weight for your height.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    NOPE...I think you best talk to your doctor. We are not qualified to address eating disorders.
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You want to weigh 94 lbs? Not sure this is a healthy goal to set for yourself. I would suggest checking with your doctor first.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't really need to lose weight. Maybe toning up would be best for you? Get some muscle definition. :) Start strength training. :D
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Omg people on this website are ridiculous. They hear anything around 100lbs and freak out. For 4'11" going from 116 to 96 lbs is going from 23.4 to 19.4 BMI... both well within healthy range. So yes it is very possible. I've seen a ton of people lose 20 lbs over the summer, which is 3 months, however it would probably be better to shoot for that goal in 4 months because you are small so 20lbs is a relatively high percentage of your bodyweight... make it 5 since you only want to dance.
  • Americanthighs1
    Americanthighs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Think about doing HIIT (like the Insanity videos) and/or strength training paired with a low carb diet like paleo or keto. If it sounds like a lot, it is. But if you want to lose the weight in a short amount of time, it takes willpower and determination! Check out the keto/paleo forums. Get to studying up and join a community.
  • samorales14
    Options
    Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, I promise I don't have any eating disorder...at least I don't think so? I eat normally but I'm very sedentary, I don't personally think I'm shooting for an unhealthy weight but regardless, I'm sure I'd be happy just to be at 100 again. I've never gotten this big until after high school so it's caused a little anxiety and the only reason I wanted to lose it so fast is because there are many events coming up in that month that I'd really like to look nice for. Anyway, thank you again for the support, I'm honestly grateful for the replies this is the first time I've gotten to openly talk about this and it feels great I will keep all of your tips in mind, it means a lot.
  • CatLoverCindie
    Options
    I agree, you are at a great weight, toning up with weights and a kettlebell will make you appear in better form. If you lost 20 pounds, that would put youat 96. Which is not a healthy BMI. Try weights and a kettlebell to tone up. I did 1 hour of cardio a day, and 1 hour of weights combined with a kettlebell about earlier but had to put exercise on hold because of illness, but I shaped up fast. Lost close to 20 pounds in 3 weeks, but I weighed close to 140, and am 5'1"-2" Work on toning up, not cardio.
  • samorales14
    Options
    I've been thinking about paleo for a while now, I guess I'll do a bit of research! and I'll keep the weight training in mind, thanks
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Four foot eleven is short enough to where you can work to reach your 100 pounds again if you so choose, but it is not safe to lose that 16 pounds (or 20?) in so few months. You are tiny and have little weight to lose, so you might want to set your goals to lose .5 pounds per month.

If you don't like exercise, you don't like it, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I have nothing against a Paleo eating plan, as a friend uses this eating plan under the advice of her doctor and the plan has helped alleviate a lot of her bodily pain. That said, all you really need to do is eat your normal foods just eat at a calorie deficit. MFP will set you up with your calorie limit with a deficit already figured in.
  • cuppycat
    cuppycat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. That's too little of weight you want to be. You need to see your Dr. And dance is a good form of "exercise". Even if you don't think you do it well, do it alone in a room... go all out just have fun! It's better than nothing at all :)
  • Americanthighs1
    Americanthighs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    She's 4'11", not 6 foot tall. At 96 pounds her BMI would be 19.4, which is well within the "healthy" BMI range. Although BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass and water weight, and isn't all that great of an indicator for one's physical health and wellness, she would still be fine.
  • HotWheels96
    Options
    If you were to lose the 20 pounds you want, you would be at a BMI of 19.4, which is PERFECTLY healthy!

Underweight = <18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

I agree with an earlier post that members on this board hear less than 120 and freak out. Your height must be taken into account!

I would not ignore the advice for including strength training however, as muscle always looks amazing and helps your metabolism. Also, I would cut out useless calories from your diet, or at the very least, minimize your consumption of items like soda and sweets. Above all else, consistency is absolutely vital for achieving success. And, if you miss a workout or eat not so good one day, start back the next day. Don't let one stumble turn into a full blown fall.
  • samorales14
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody, honestly this is all very motivating
  • fityese
    fityese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello! (= If you like dancing, then do dancing. The important thing to working out consistently is performing activities you enjoy. I am also 4'11 and 117 lbs.

Across the board, the safe recommended weight loss rate is 1-2 lbs. per week., which would put you at an 8 lbs. weight loss per month from here until December 26th, assuming that is your goal date. There is nothing wrong with setting goals. I think a more healthy weigh loss goal would be .5 lbs-1 lbs. per week. I say that because of our small size. We weigh much less than say a person who is 5' 8" and who has 50 lbs. to lose.

Losing weight quickly will take a lot of work and effort that may be harmful to your health and will not be something that you will be able to maintain long-term. By losing weight fast, you maybe losing water weight or muscle, which isn't something that's generally desirable.

I know you said that the only type of fitness activity you like is dance, but I wanted to share that I saw my best results when I started lifting weights. Before that, I was desperately trying to lose the freshman 15 by running like a mad woman...but when I started lifting weights I started seeing changes in my body I hadn't achieved with cardio. You will burn off body fat at a much higher rate as the increase in muscle mass will also mean an increased metabolism. You might try some classes at your local gym. Try different weight lifting videos until you find one you like. They are all over YouTube. I have also done the Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer from bodybuilding.com and P90X from BeachBody.

Best of luck
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    U are at a perfectly healthy weight. I'd suggest toning and not mindless crash dieting, ruining your body and losing muscle mass. That'll end u up with skinny fat and repercussion being binge. Refrain from such measures. Tone up. Lift some weights, see some muscle definition, eat well and maybe gain muscle and look fab! :D
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone freaked out about recommending that a very petite person not try to drop 17% of their body weight in 2 months. I do not think it's wrong to point out to new people when they're in their healthy weight range either. There's a difference between being overweight for your height and just needing to exercise.

Anyway, think about it: Would you tell a 300 lbs person to go ahead and do whatever they have to do to drop 51 lbs in 2 months? Or a 200 lbs person to diet until they lost 34 lbs in 2 months? OP's inital goal was December.

It's not about OP being 116 or 96; it's about the time line and the amount of weight 20 lbs is for a person her size.

It wouldn't be safe. As others suggested, exercise is a good option for someone who is already at a healthy weight range. Maybe she won't feel like she should lose 20 lbs if she's is toned and she's happy with how her clothing fits.

And, as others suggested, maybe 5 months or so, for gradual weight loss, would be more realistic, especially since the 'last 10 lbs' are usually slow to come off.

Regardless, best of luck OP. I hope you find a happy middle ground.